Thread: Free Running (Parkour) page

born2Bprimal Guest

Primal Fuel

A friend just showed me this the other day and I thought it looked primal. Does anyone here do Free Running / Parkour? I would never be able to - but I WISH I could. It's amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEeqHj3Nj2c&feature=fvw

The Big L is offline Senior Member

I appreciate the skill, athleticism, bravery, fearlessness, and artistry of parkour. And I enjoy watching those videos. That said, I think there's no @#$%! way I'd do most of that stuff even if I could. I'm sure it's a thrill when done correctly. But one false move -- and BAM! -- grotesque, permanently debilitating injuries and/or death. I'm not saying the likelihood of that happening is huge, but the chances are high enough that I just have no interest in participating. I guess my survival instinct is just too great.

Geoff is offline Member

Parkour is really incredible. It may very well be the direction in which I next take my running. Check out American Parkour's website for more information. Note APK recommends that - before even attempting any parkour movements - you first get to the point that you can (a) do their recommended warm up in less than 20 minutes with ease and (b) you can regularly do their recommended WOD.

As I understand it, most of the grotesque parkour accidents you see are from people who try to go right into the intense movements and jumps with minimal GPP and even less idea of what they're trying to do. This FAQ gives you an idea of APK's philosophy.

Vick is offline Senior Member

You miss the total point of parkour. You see the one event that took months of training both the body and the mind that allowed the athlete to overcome that obsticle.

This is the first of 4 videos that explain the mental aspects and philosophy of parkour. It is probably those primal of exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Poph6Jmc688&feature=related

Enjoy.

hypnotik is offline Junior Member

I have nothing but respect for those who parkour. I first saw this video about 3 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is4_AK2GzMM

ChrisJ is offline Member

Parkour is definitely primal. I have run a little before, but I rarely find time as I usually practise martial arts, which I also think is Primal. If any of you guys are interested you should just go for it.

Parkour is not about doing death defying stunts, it's about learning to move around your environment and using your body in a new and wonderful way. And you can do it without ever leaping from a building!

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

TenYearStorm Guest

Free running and parkour are two very different things. the goal of Parkour is to get from point A to point B as fast and as efficiently as possible. Free running is more 'freestyle' where you just do tricks and gymnastic style moves using urban "equiptment" as your playground.