Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (primally_yours) page

Primal Journal (primally_yours)

Shop Now
    Hello primal community! I'm glad to have found you and excited to be joining you. I'm 32 and have realized that I can't take my health and body for granted any more. In the past 4 years, I have gained 20 pounds, even while exercising and trying to diet and eat "healthy". People have told me that one's metabolism slows down around age 30, but I don't want to settle for getting heavier with each passing year.

In addition to the stubborn weight gain, I've also been feeling chronically tired and worn out. I have been reading through MDA, and also recently finished Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat", and am excited to give the primal / lower carb thing a try. I will record my meals and workouts here daily, and will check in once a week with updates on the following:

* Weight: currently 161 lbs (at 5'8")
    * Measurements: currently 38"-33"-40"
    * Skin -- I have suffered from mild acne since I was a teenager. I have basically resigned myself to it by now, but am curious to see if changing my diet will have any impact.
    * Energy level
    * Mood
    * Other / general body check-in

Cheers,
    Jen
    Last edited by primally_yours; 05-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Day 1:

Breakfast - not hungry, just had 2 cups of coffee (black).
    Lunch - gazpacho; curry chicken salad w/ cashews on bed of spinach w/ olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing
    Snack - orange; small handful of almonds
    Dinner - 3 egg omelet w/ Gouda & basil; steamed zucchini w/ olive oil; sauerkraut

Drank a lot of water. Took omega 3 fish oil, vitamin D3, and multivitamin with lunch.

Exercise - weights (StrongLifts 5x5), 2 mile walk

Feeling very tired -- going to bed early!
    Last edited by primally_yours; 05-24-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Day 2

Wow, I slept like a rock last night and woke up feeling good! Downloaded the Primal Blueprint and 21 Day Transformation on to my Kindle, started reading 21 Day.

Breakfast - 2 cups coffee; pear; 3 egg omelet with Gouda and basil, served on big bed of greens
    Lunch - gazpacho; big salad with greens, grilled chicken, pecans, and olive oil & balsamic dressing
    Dinner - huge pork chop*; steamed broccoli with olive oil; tiny glass of wine

*We are lucky to be able to buy meat and eggs from a local farm. Not supporting factory farming is very important to me! (So much so that I was a vegetarian for years, in fact.)

Exercise - 2 mile walk

Things that feel weird to me:
    - Not stopping at Starbucks on the way to work for a soy latte and bagel.**
    - Eating such rich meals (omelet cooked in butter, with full-fat cheese!!)
    - Cutting out daily run / cardio. I figure I may as well give this whole thing a real try, so am just going to do 3 weight lifting sessions, 1 short sprint workout, and daily walking this week.

Things that are keeping me motivated:
    - The amazing success stories and before/after pictures on this site!
    - A quote I read somewhere that basically said "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten". Obviously my previous eating habits and exercise routine were not working, so if I want different results I need to try something new!

** Hmm, I never really paid attention to the carbohydrate part of nutrition information, but this breakfast, plus the banana I would frequently have for a mid-morning snack, would put me at ~120 g carbohydrates before noon. I would not be surprised if I was in the >150 g "Insidious Weight Gain" part of the carbohydrate curve!
    Last edited by primally_yours; 05-25-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Day 3

Breakfast - 1 cup coffee; pear; 3 egg omelet w/ Gouda on bed of greens
    Lunch - Cobb salad; plain iced coffee
    Snack - yogurt (plain, full-fat, organic) and walnuts
    Dinner (at friend's barbecue) - 1 glass of wine; chicken sausage; bacon; green salad; cole slaw

Strategy for dealing with crankiness and carb cravings: repeat to self, "I am a fat burning machine! I am a fat burning machine!"

Exercise - epic 12 mile walk!

Day 4

Breakfast - 1 cup of coffee; scrambled eggs; bacon; kale, spinach & avocado salad; raspberry chia kombucha
    Lunch - not hungry, skipped it
    Dinner - glass of whole milk; small Greek salad; steak; asparagus; glass of wine

Exercise - weights (StrongLifts 5x5); 5 mile walk

Feeling a lot less cranky and foggy-headed today. Maybe I'm over the low-carb flu hump?

Finished reading 21 Day Challenge, starting Primal Blueprint!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I'm glad primal is going well for you.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Thank you, Hedonist. I'm feeling pretty hedonistic myself since starting this experiment, what with all the butter, bacon, steak, and wine!

Day 5

Breakfast - 2 cups of coffee; full-fat cottage cheese with cinnamon and walnuts; apple
    Lunch - huge salad with tons of greens and veggies, tuna, olive oil, and lemon juice; cherry chia kombucha
    Dinner - homemade hamburger topped with Gouda and mustard; cabbage and carrot slaw with olive oil and apple cider vinegar

Exercise - 4 mile walk

Day 6

Breakfast - skipped it, just had 1 cup of coffee
    Lunch - gazpacho; curry chicken salad with cashews on bed of spinach, olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing
    Snack - small handful of almonds
    Dinner - scrambled eggs (3); cabbage and carrot slaw with olive oil and apple cider vinegar
    Snack - plain full-fat yogurt with walnuts and cinnamon

Exercise - 2 mile walk, weights (StrongLifts 5x5)

Had a dream about eating muffins last night, ha ha. In real life, however, my stomach is looking leaner and my pants are feeling loose!
    Last edited by primally_yours; 05-29-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added after dinner snack

Day 7!

Breakfast - 1 cup coffee, small handful of almonds, strawberries, plain full-fat yogurt
    Lunch - gazpacho, egg salad with bacon on bed of spinach with olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing
    Dinner - slow-cooked lamb with carrots, turnip, and sweet potato; greens with olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing

Took omega 3, vitamin D3, and multivitamin with breakfast. (I have been most days, but keep forgetting to record it.)

Exercise - 2 mile walk; sprints! - walk/jog warm-up, then 8 x 30 sec sprint (8.5 mph) / 60 sec walk

Week 1 check-in

* Weight: 151.2 (Um... holy cow!! That's almost 10 lbs lower than last week! I know most of it has got to be water, obviously. But it's still exciting to see that number!)

* Measurements: 37.5" - 32" - 39.5" (A whole inch less my waist!)

* Skin: hard to say. Definitely hasn't gotten worse, maybe a little bit better? Thinking primally, I might try to simplify my skincare/make-up routine and use fewer products... maybe that will help?

* Energy level: definitely improved since starting this experiment. Also, my energy level has felt more stable throughout the day.

* Mood: days 1 - 3 -- periods of crankiness. days 4 - 7 -- great!

* Other / general body check-in: My sleep has been better than average this past week. I haven't had as much trouble falling asleep, and I wake up feeling like I've slept soundly. Was interested to read in PB (section about Ken Korg) that high insulin/glucose levels can cause restlessness at night.

Had another food dream last night, this one was about eating Raisin Bran. I really am not having bad food cravings in waking hours, so I think maybe these dreams are just my brain saying, "Hey, remember these foods we used to eat? We're really not going to eat them anymore?" Nope, we're not. Not on a regular basis, anyway.

Needless to say, I am very happy and excited about my experience and results so far! And I continue to be surprised by how easy and natural this feels overall. Unlike every other diet, the amount of willpower required to stick with it seems to be decreasing with time.

On to week 2 -- the Primal experiment continues!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast