Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you cheat? page

Gilleh is offline Senior Member

How often do you cheat?

And how do you fele about it?

In my 5 months of being primal I've cheated maybe 5 times
    With beer mostly. Nudels, pizza (was not worth it) hamburger with the bun.

I try not to stress over it. My soicial life is important to me..
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    This is a lifestyle not a diet. There are no cheats only non-primal indulgences.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    This is a lifestyle not a diet. There are no cheats only non-primal indulgences.
    That's the way I try to think of it. I had a piece of cake on Mother's Day. Not sure when the nexy occasion will be since I'll make cocnut flour cupcakes for DS' birthday. This WOE is finally working for me, so I don't often feel like eating non-primal things.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i indulge in non-primal foods maybe a couple of times a month. at first, i was ridiculously strict about my diet...to the point where i was missing out on great things. now, if i'm with good friends, or doing something with family, i let go of things a bit. the way i see it, being primal transcends the diet portion into all areas, including the tribe. if my friends and family are celebrating something with pizza and cake, i'd rather celebrate with them than sit alone in the corner thinking about insulin resistance. how do i feel about it? super (though, physically i might feel a bit bloated afterward)...just don't make it a daily thing.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I stick to the diet about 90-95% (I eat dairy as part of my regular diet however - not giving up my lattes or Greek yogurt!). There are some things I don't cheat with, though, like anything grain-based - pizza, cookies, beer, etc. But I'll cheat with something like flourless chocolate cake or ice cream, or sometimes when I go out with friends, I'll loosen up and eat things that surely have SOME non-primal ingredients, but are generally decent - e.g. Indian curry buffet I had yesterday. I skipped the rice and naan, but I had some butter chicken, tandoori salmon, and goat curry.

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    I never eat non-primal food more than once a week. Either I'll do a meal or if feel like it I may do a day but not usually. More often than not I'll fast up until the "cheat" meal. I also alternate one month with "cheat" meals/one month strict to detox a little. My thing is no more than once a week or less and keep it to one day only. Never let one meal/day become 2 days, etc. It works for me. Plus, my wife and her extended family aren't primal so this allows me to enjoy the foods that they eat with them. They're all Czech and the homemade desserts are ridiculous. I don't stress about it as I'm at an ideal weight for me. I think that's the key. If you have a cheat meal or day, choose wisely and don't stress about it. Eating bad food doesn't make you a bad person. I used to think like that and it's stressful. You can't un-eat it so don't worry about it. Just get back on the wagon - whether you fell off or got down intentionally. I will say though, that if you still have a lot of weight to lose than less often may be a better choice but that depends on your goals and how quickly you want to reach them.
    Strength and Honor

madog is offline Senior Member
    Might have about 3-4 "cheats" a month which could all be in one weekend as it depends what's going on. As PrimalRob said " i'd rather celebrate with them than sit alone in the corner"

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I drink dry red wine a couple days a week and have dairy daily (non-homogenized whole milk in coffee, a couple tbsp of cheese). As far as "cheats" go I haven't yet had something that was not occasionally allowed on Primal. I am going to a wedding this Saturday. I don't exactly know what is being served for dinner, but I remember selecting chicken... So I would assume this meal is not going to be very primal, but I can't be sure. I'm not a desert person, so I doubt I will be tempted to indulge in cake. I will have a couple glasses of red wine. My DH and I have gone out numerous times while I have been on primal. We have simply gone to restaurants that we know serve local ingredients and am generally okay to eat something on the menu to remain within primal. I have not felt restricted in any capacity, so I have not felt the need to sway from the general PB guidelines (to this point). I'm only on day 24... so, I'm sure the day will come eventually.

TomC is offline Junior Member
    I cheat maybe 2 or 3 times a month, and its almost always when were having Mexican food. I can easily skip cupcakes, pies, sweets, pizza and what used to by my daily PB&J, but there is no way I cant skip a good Mexican meal, I just love it to much. So I make that my reward. I dont eat the rice, but I love the re-fried beans, with some good Carne-asada, and Flour tortillas, and good tortilla chips and Salsa are my kryptonite. There have been times where I've gone out and had the Fajita mix without the Tortillas, but sometimes I just need a good Burrito, or some good old tacos.

labmonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat a tiny bowl of Haagen Daz about 2-3x a week after dinner. Is this a cheat? Shrug. I prefer the Primal indulgence reference.

Oh and about twice a month I'll have a half sweet Latte. Again, no biggie to me. That's it (if you consider that a cheat)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast