Thread: Water weight after punishing workout? page

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I have this weight loss blog going with a friend of mine. We weigh in every Friday, because we figure that if we mess up, we'll probably do it on the weekend with a couple of beers, and that'll give us some motivation to really stick to it during the week.

I've been doing a lot of low-level activity, but my lifting of heavy things has been sporadic at best. I went for my first CrossFit session on Thursday. I drank (water) like a madman for that whole night, and the next day I had gained a few pounds over last week (with no eating screw ups in between).

I have some serious DOMS, and I was wondering if anyone knows if the muscles would take on a lot of water, for repair purposes, after that kind of intense workout.

I'm usually not one to fret over a few pounds here or there, but the premise of our blog is that we berate each other if we screw up.

rykabeth is offline Junior Member

I know this is late, but if this happens to you in the future again-yes-muscles retain water after especially punishing workouts. Basically if you are sore you should expect some temporary gain. After every long run or race I always gain 3-5 pounds the next few days.

Thanks! I just happened to see that you posted.

kjake55 Guest

It happens to me all the time after an especially heavy lifting session or intense workout. It's normal. I actually combat it by drinking more water to flush out my system, it seems to work for me but don't bug out over the scale if you're lifting heavy. Measure your success on other ways.

Brewtality Guest

I gain 3-4lbs after a hard workout that stays with me for nearly a week. As I understand it, it's one of the bodys mechanisms for dealing with inflamation.

Lekki Wood is offline Junior Member

Hey guys,

Jumping in here - thanks for the info. I have been wondering why I don't look quite so lean, but I gave up exercise for one and half weeks, and got back into weights, with heavier weights than before (same program) and have been feeling a little heavy. I am slightly sore, so I think it is water...

Lxxx

Thanks, all. I'm not one who usually worries about things like that. It's just the "competition" that I have going with my buddy that makes me think of it. Now I know why The Biggest Loser contestants do such horrible things to themselves in the name of competition. I won't lose any money, I'll just have to take a little crap. It's a good thing I'm rugged.