Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Overtraining problem... or is it? page

  1. #1
    Primalwombat's Avatar
    Primalwombat is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Australia
    Posts
    31

    Smile Overtraining problem... or is it?

    Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

    I am new to Paleo, and hope to make it a sustainable eating and exercise lifestyle. When I say that I'm new, I really mean NEW. I have been calorie counting for around 2.5 months, and have had success with limiting my calorie intake to around 1500-1700 calories/day net (that is, after taking into account exercise calories). I have managed to lose 10kg (22 pounds), and feel and look a lot more compact than I used to.

    I have never had a problem with eating less carbs, and I actually had to TRY to up my carb intake, so I am really looking forward to getting to the primal swing of things. On average I get around 47% of calories from carbs, 31% from fat and 22% from protein. (YES, I actually enjoy recording what I eat :-P). Depressingly close to the "recommended" macro nutrient intake.

    For exercise, I have been doing Insanity, and loving it. Exercise calorie use according to HR is around 460-900 per day, six days a week.

    Now during this week I have hit a wall... I don't sleep well, I'm not motivated to exercise and I feel generally weak. I had to skip yesterday's Insanity session, and today I had to stop it halfway through, because I just c-o-u-l-d n-o-t finish.

    I am 186 cm (6' 2") and 87 kg (192 pounds), 44 yo male.

    What do you guys think is the problem... am I over exercising or under-eating, or both? What would be the best way to recover and continue?

    I really look forward to hearing some good comments, and getting to be a part of the awesome community here.

    Thanks in advance,
    Markus

  2. #2
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,687
    Six days a week is probably too much. I only work out two or three days a week and am making good progress, and very little pain.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  3. #3
    Coach Palfrey's Avatar
    Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,140
    Ditch Insanity. Heavy Lifting a couple of times per week, some bodyweight callisthenics and occasional sprinting sessions will be much more effective.

  4. #4
    Wander's Avatar
    Wander is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    All over
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalwombat View Post
    Hi all,

    I have been calorie counting for around 2.5 months, and have had success with limiting my calorie intake to around 1500-1700 calories/day net (that is, after taking into account exercise calories). I have managed to lose 10kg (22 pounds), and feel and look a lot more compact than I used to.

    I have never had a problem with eating less carbs, and I actually had to TRY to up my carb intake, so I am really looking forward to getting to the primal swing of things. On average I get around 47% of calories from carbs, 31% from fat and 22% from protein. (YES, I actually enjoy recording what I eat :-P). Depressingly close to the "recommended" macro nutrient intake.
    Are you saying you currently eat a ratio like this: 47% of calories from carbs, 31% from fat and 22% from protein? Or is that what you used to do?
    I would ditch the calorie counting (and insanity) and aim for a much higher fat and protein content in your diet and focus on doing what Coach Palfrey said (at least initially). If your diet is indeed 50% carbs you may feel sluggish for a little bit as your body adjusts to the change in food. (Disclaimer: I'm a huge fan of low carb for weight loss or general life when I'm not working out hard).

  5. #5
    Forever Young's Avatar
    Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    York Pa.
    Posts
    592
    Yes you are absolutely over training! You simply can't do that type of thing repeatedly without breaking down. six days a week of that is indeed insanity. As Coach and Wander said, weight training is key. One or two intense sessions a week, sprint intervals once every 7-10 days is more than enough to be in great shape. The hardest thing for so many to get their head around is that it NOT about doing more and more. Its about doing the right amount, no more and no less. The fact is that it isn't nearly as much as we've all been led to believe. Its hard work yes, but its brief. Another misconception is that the more "fit" one becomes, the healthier they become. This is simply not true!! Yes if one is sedentary and out of shape then getting more fit WILL improve their health but only to a certain point and this is crucial! Getting more "fit" by forcing yourself to workout more and more, harder and harder will NOT improve your health one bit after that definite point and in fact will start to adversely affect it. You are there now.

    Take at least a week off from the insanity, literally! Get your diet straight! More fat, more protein, less carbs. When you feel not only better but chomping at the bit to do something, then start a sensible training program. What you are doing is NOT sustainable.

  6. #6
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,375
    Agree with all replies.

    I suggest we stop using the term "overtraining" and start saying "under-recovering." I know thinking about it this way helps me feel like I need to stay committed to recovery for fear of shortchanging myself (rather than feel like I need to workout every day for fear of shortchanging myself).

  7. #7
    MightyAl's Avatar
    MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Quad Cities, IA
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Agree with all replies.

    I suggest we stop using the term "overtraining" and start saying "under-recovering." I know thinking about it this way helps me feel like I need to stay committed to recovery for fear of shortchanging myself (rather than feel like I need to workout every day for fear of shortchanging myself).
    Here, Here.

    Recovery is when fat is shed and muscle is built. When you work out 6 days a week the body is getting ready to recover and then you do an intense workout and it stops. Once it gets ready again to recover you are doing another intense workout. If it is something you can do for 30 minutes then it is by far not intense enough. One HIIT workout no more then 15 minutes once a week that leaves you begging for mercy is what your body needs.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

  8. #8
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    Many, MANY people train 6 days a week or daily, but they vary what they do so that they're able to recover. Up/down splits, having mobility or flexibility days, etc. Just that you train more then 3-4 days a week doesn't mean you're over training. If you're doing the same shit everyday, that's another story. I find that I workout just about daily, and I train (ie: work towards a specific purpose) at least 3-4 days a week nowadays....

    I used to only "work out" 2-3 days a week max, but the thought that I wasn't really doing enough started creeping up. Mind you, I was lifting heavy twice and sprinting once a week (but I was way more consistent with the lifting than with the sprinting) and I felt sore and all that good stuff, but I wasn't using my 'off' days wisely and now that I am I feel like I recover faster. Nothing else has changed, I don't even really supplement but those mobility/flexibility/skill practice days have made the difference.

  9. #9
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,255
    definitely under-recovering. if you absolutely "must" do insanity, then you need to eat more. that being said, programs like insanity, p90x, rushfit, should only be done for the prescribed period of time. for insanity, i think that's 60 days. periodization is key. you can go all out for those 60 days, but after that, it's time to shift in to a bit of a recovery mode. this is true for all types of heavy exercise. you can't stay in the gym and pull or press singles year round. sometimes it has to be triples. sometimes you're working in the 6-8 range. sometimes its bodyweight. maybe it's time to move on to something else

  10. #10
    MightyAl's Avatar
    MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Quad Cities, IA
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Many, MANY people train 6 days a week or daily, but they vary what they do so that they're able to recover. Up/down splits, having mobility or flexibility days, etc. Just that you train more then 3-4 days a week doesn't mean you're over training. If you're doing the same shit everyday, that's another story. I find that I workout just about daily, and I train (ie: work towards a specific purpose) at least 3-4 days a week nowadays....

    I used to only "work out" 2-3 days a week max, but the thought that I wasn't really doing enough started creeping up. Mind you, I was lifting heavy twice and sprinting once a week (but I was way more consistent with the lifting than with the sprinting) and I felt sore and all that good stuff, but I wasn't using my 'off' days wisely and now that I am I feel like I recover faster. Nothing else has changed, I don't even really supplement but those mobility/flexibility/skill practice days have made the difference.
    I think we are misusing the term training and not using the word conditioning. Yeah lots of people train six days a week but most condition only a few days a week. Lifting more then 2-3 times a week and doing HIIT more then once a week is counter productive. Now if you want to fill those other days with batting practice, footwork drills, sparring, or any other of a number of skill based training then go for it.

    Doing insanity 6 days a week is nothing but counterproductive for every average person that I know. It lives in that nowhere land of not intense enough for good muscle development and too intense for good fat burning. It is good for breaking you down and leaving you near dead.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •