Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flourless gravy, anyone? page

ZacD is offline Junior Member

Flourless gravy, anyone?

Hey everyone,
    I'm desperate. Not really, but I'm in need of your help. Is there such a thing as gravy without flour? Does it even exist? I've tried cookbooks and Bing. Nada results. I'm a lone (primal+crossfit & under 21) college kid living alone and need a solid recipe that provides leftovers (leftovers cold, since I'm too poor to afford a microwave for my unfurnished apartment. My latest achievement was a casserole dish as a gift from grandmom. So I'd love to have a good (beef) casserole recipe with a binding agent such as gravy. I don't mind mixing in one miniscule tablespoon or whatever of flour in it, but I'm not buying a 1-2lb bag O' flour.
    Also, while I'm I'm at it, what about beef stew without wine? I'm under 21 and unable to get a hold of any (its infuriating). Any wine-less, hearty stews out there in the primal world?

ZacD is offline Junior Member
    Also, I'm crock pot-devoid as well... I hate this poor college kid scene

peril is offline Senior Member
    Puree onions and garlic. Heat lard, tallow or other fat in dish and add puree. Stir over medium heat until the onions are cooked and the fat begins to separate. It should sizzle gently. Add the meat to brown. Add water to almost cover, salt to taste and any vegetables, spices etc. Cover. Cook on low heat for two hours. Remove the lid and continue to cook until sauce is thick and meat is a rich, dark colour.

This is a really basic recipe that can be adapted to many cuisines throughout the work by the use of different vegetables, spices etc. Also, if using a lot of spice, it is often better to cook them in the cooked puree for a couple of minutes before adding the meat.
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Arrowroot starch. You can also use some of the GF flour blends that at least don't have gluten, but may have corn starch price starch in them.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    We use cornflour as an alternative to wheat flour in gravy. It's not strictly primal, but meh.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Arrowroot starch. You can also use some of the GF flour blends that at least don't have gluten, but may have corn starch price starch in them.
    This. Also if you can find an Asian market look for water chestnut powder. Both perfectly Primal thickeners.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Sweet rice flour is excellent. Most grocery stores carry mochiko brand in oriental section.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    You need to find some second hand stores. The ones I go to usually have crock pots for under $10. I don't think nayone is so broke that they can't afford thrift shops. Do a little leg work and I bet you could score a microwave too. A little hustle goes a long way.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

zilog is offline Senior Member
    As above, arrowroot. Add it last thing as it doesn't like to be heated too much.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    As above, arrowroot. Add it last thing as it doesn't like to be heated too much.
    True. This is why I like the water chestnut powder better. It stands up to the heat (and even a leftovers re-heating).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast