Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flourless gravy, anyone? page 3

nevermore is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You could also try freecycle for a crock pot and microwave.

Madhu is offline Junior Member
    I know its an old thread but try coconut milk or yoghurt, it won't give gravy consistency rather a rich saucy texture. Beats the flour in terms of flavor.

mommymd is offline Senior Member
    When I made my thanksgiving gravy I watched a Gordon Ramsey video online. He made his gravy thicker with fresh tomatoes. It also included cooked bacon, so obviously it was delicious.
    --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

shinydragon is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mommymd View Post
    When I made my thanksgiving gravy Ij watched a Gordon Ramsey video online. He made his gravy thicker with fresh tomatoes. It also included cooked bacon, so obviously it was delicious.
    I just nade a thick sauce for my roast fuck by using stick blender to puree the onions and pears I roasted duck with. Arrowroot suggestion good one. Also, for best flavour if you have lots of juices is to reduce them down to gravy thickness. You can do a pot roast in a deep oven pan on very low heat. But easier to thrift store a crockpot. And probably cheaper than an oven pan.

AussieNana is offline Member
    I use buckwheat flour for thickening stews. It tends to look a bit greyish but it tastes fine and at least it does the job of thickening. I found that rice flour was enough to cause a reaction in me, so I avoid it. I din't know about water chestnut powder though.

katemary is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Puree onions and garlic. Heat lard, tallow or other fat in dish and add puree. Stir over medium heat until the onions are cooked and the fat begins to separate. It should sizzle gently. Add the meat to brown. Add water to almost cover, salt to taste and any vegetables, spices etc. Cover. Cook on low heat for two hours. Remove the lid and continue to cook until sauce is thick and meat is a rich, dark colour.

This is a really basic recipe that can be adapted to many cuisines throughout the work by the use of different vegetables, spices etc. Also, if using a lot of spice, it is often better to cook them in the cooked puree for a couple of minutes before adding the meat.
    sorry if this is a dumb question - just blend raw onion and garlic, not cooked? what sort of ratio? ta

Susan Loves Life is offline Junior Member
    I had searched a long time for a thicker too, and have grown fond of Xanthan Gum powder:
    gluten-free, can use in hot or cold liquids, and tasteless.

Xanthan gum also helps suspend solid particles, such as spices
    and prevents oil separation by stabilizing the emulsion of things like a salad dressing.

You can find at most any health food store, and a little goes a VERY long way.

Gravy: remove the meat after pan cooking, and thicken the juices with just a teaspoon of xanthan (or less--start with 1/2 tsp.)
    Presto! Instant gravy that doesn't get all gross & separated when refrigerated--stays a steady consistency.

Stealth use--add a little to egg salad (or any salad thing with mayo). It will give it a fluffier consistency
    and keeps the salad a nice thick texture rather than getting runnier the longer it's stored.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123