Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flourless gravy, anyone? page 2

Recovering Vegetarian is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Kuzu works the same as arrowroot, and can be found in most health food stores.

sires6 is offline Senior Member
    Where can you find kudzu?
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

waterjen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    You need to find some second hand stores. The ones I go to usually have crock pots for under $10. I don't think nayone is so broke that they can't afford thrift shops. Do a little leg work and I bet you could score a microwave too. A little hustle goes a long way.
    Also garage sales, craigslist and birthday gifts...
    Another thought -- you might find someone in your family has a crockpot or microwave just taking up space and might be willing to let you borrow indefinitely.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacD View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I'm desperate. Not really, but I'm in need of your help. Is there such a thing as gravy without flour? Does it even exist? I've tried cookbooks and Bing. Nada results. I'm a lone (primal+crossfit & under 21) college kid living alone and need a solid recipe that provides leftovers (leftovers cold, since I'm too poor to afford a microwave for my unfurnished apartment. My latest achievement was a casserole dish as a gift from grandmom. So I'd love to have a good (beef) casserole recipe with a binding agent such as gravy. I don't mind mixing in one miniscule tablespoon or whatever of flour in it, but I'm not buying a 1-2lb bag O' flour.
    Also, while I'm I'm at it, what about beef stew without wine? I'm under 21 and unable to get a hold of any (its infuriating). Any wine-less, hearty stews out there in the primal world?
    Go to a place where you can buy bulk flour and get a 1/2 c. If you are in a (liberal) college town, they typically have food co-ops of some sort. Or find a neighbor and borrow some. I've made gravy before by just reducing the hell out of the pan juices on the stove top. Aptly named Pan Gravy. I've also used tapioca starch, arrowroot, potato flour, etc. But you will have the dilemma of needing to buy a lot more than what you need unless you go with arrowroot (McCormick sells it in spice sized jars).

As far as the wine-less beef stew, you can just omit the wine and sub more broth. It won't be exactly the same, but if you simmer with the lid ajar or off the allow the steam to escape you can reduce the sauce for more flavor. Also, adding tomato paste helps deepen the flavor. Go to Epicurious.com: Recipes, Menus, Cooking Articles & Food Guides and do a search for beef stew. Be patient and allow the meat to stew for 3 hours. Better the next day, as always.

Somebody also told me to use a bottle of MICROBREW root beer. The real deal. Not sure about that one... but curious to try it. You would probably alter the spices a bit to reflect the sweetness.

Crock pots are cheap. If you can afford beef, you can afford a crock pot.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

steve.mull is offline Member
    if you can't afford a microwave try goodwill or other thrift store. If you can't find one for less than $10 bucks you're doing it wrong. Also, easiest gravy in the world, cook your meat in pan, remove meat, add onions, mushrooms or whatever fixins you like, add a little bit of butter and some heavy whipping cream, stir frequently for about 3-5 minutes and voila.

waterjen is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacD View Post
    Also, while I'm I'm at it, what about beef stew without wine? I'm under 21 and unable to get a hold of any (its infuriating). Any wine-less, hearty stews out there in the primal world?
    One other thought -- and I have no idea what the ingredients are, but there are cooking sherries and such that you could at least investigate. Or maybe you could borrow a 1/4 c of wine from the neighbor along with the flour...

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waterjen View Post
    Also garage sales, craigslist and birthday gifts...
    Another thought -- you might find someone in your family has a crockpot or microwave just taking up space and might be willing to let you borrow indefinitely.
    This!
    Also, if you frequent any kind of big box or bargain store (walmart, target, costco, BJs, etc.), keep an eye out for deals.
    I have a 2.5q crockpot (in case you don't know, that's small, I have to halve most crockpot recipes, but it was PERFECT for college) that I got at Kmart (I think) for $9.99, and that wasn't even a sale price... if I'd bought it on black friday or the day after christmas, I could've gotten it for $3... of course that was 10+ years ago, but I've seen similar deals more recently.

some great ideas for thickening on here!
    one trick I've used that I don't see is: cream cheese. clearly only if you "do" dairy... I've used it for delectable cream sauces, but it would also work for a creamy gravy... by the time the cheese melts and incorporates into whatever you're making, the sauce/gravy will be nice and thick and creamy

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I like to use tapioca flour because you can reheat it and it remains stable.

If you can't use wine use a splash of vinegar (red wine or balsamic) and some tomato paste, reduce the liquid with the top off.

I'm impressed that you are cooking real food instead of eating top ramen and popcorn!

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Mark has given potato flour the "yes it's primal" blessing, although I've never cooked with it. I'd think it would serve as a thickener for gravy, and taste good, too!

Ditto to what someone else said about buying a small amount of flour; many big-chain supermarkets as well as health food stores sell bulk flours, so you could just get a small amount.

And I also endorse using cooking sherry. You usually find it the same place as vinegar in the supermarket.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Mark has given potato flour the "yes it's primal" blessing, although I've never cooked with it. I'd think it would serve as a thickener for gravy, and taste good, too!
    Potato flour and potato starch work well. Either dust the meat in the flour before browning or use it at the end to thicken up the pan juices.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast