Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti Malaria Drugs page 2

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Okay, went to the doc today and had a good discussion.

He is a bit vaccine and preventative happy, BUT, he admits that is solely his opinion because he is a wuss and never wants to get sick when he does work abroad. It was a good open conversation (40 minutes long, that was nice).

Couple concerns for me personally about taking malaria meds....I have a sensitive gut/system, AND, we are trying to get prego. This trip is sort of a 'been putting everything off for 2 yrs while we try and get pregnant, its time to relax for a bit and maybe the tropics will help'.

In talking, if my personal choice was to still try and get pregnant on the trip and NOT take malaria drugs, or use contraceptives and take Malaria meds, he would lean on just relax and skip the meds. There are some meds that are labeled 'okay' for pregnancy, but there are no real studies for this so there is a risk and I am not comfortable with that.

He brought up a good point....if we were going to the tropics to volunteer in a rural area for several weeks, or were doing work or hikes in the jungle for days on end, THEN he would seriously recommend the meds. But 9 days on the beach, we are going with +++repellant and precautions rather then malaria drugs.

If I had given this a lot of thought beforehand, I might have chosen a more resort place to stay that tends to spray for bugs. We are staying in a more remote house that while on the beach, is surrounded by dense foliage (although Roatan is not very developed and there are not many resorts in general). Something to consider in planning your travels.

This is a personal choice, please do your research before going one way or another. There are several meds out there so you can look at side effects/risk of each as well.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    I took Mefloquine once. First two doses went down fine. The third made me feel really bad. I didn't take the rest of the med. If it were me, I'd bring the meds and see how buggy it really was when I got there. Always nice to have a plan B.

Have a great trip! I've heard great things about Roaton.

Paleobird Guest
    Have a great trip and best of luck on the conception plans.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Have a great trip and best of luck on the conception plans.
    Thanks Paleobird, I haven't looked forward to something like this pretty much since my wedding 9 years ago. Its refreshing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12