Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macadamia: How much is too much? page

UnleashedGT is offline Junior Member

Macadamia: How much is too much?

I can't stop eating Macadmia nuts and I don't really know how much is too much. I have been having them as a snack (about 1oz. worth) a couple of times a day and they are soooo good that I can't help sneaking some in outside of that and end up having maybe 4oz. a day.

Even with what I feel is excessive Macadmia consumption, I've dropped a bunch of weight since going primal. I went from 260lbs to now around 215lbs (as of yesterday) in about 5 months, although weight is now dropping at a snails pace.

Is this too much Macadmia? Or should I feel confortable eaching this much regularly?

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten 300 - 400 grams in one go before and lived to tell the tale.

Macs' and peanut butter...can't have them in the house.

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    I can't have macadamia/cashew butter blend in the house. That's too good! The only negative to eating too many of these nuts would be the fat imbalance. Otherwise, they are a healthy snack in moderation.

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    As long as it is not inhibiting you from eating other foods (providing different macro/micro nutrients) you are fine. It may be slowing your weight-loss as well. Nuts and nut butters seem to be very addictive to people, myself included. I have those snack-sized ziplocks and measure out nuts before I eat them and that's it for the day.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    1/4 lb of macadamias per day is too much if you are trying to lose weight. Nuts and dairy are not great foods when losing weight - low satiety, huge calories.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Pooka is offline Member
    Macadamias have gone to about $1 per ounce here, and that's a little tough for my food budget. I love them, though. Ate them frequently when I first started eating primal/paleo/ancestral, and they helped get me through snack-y times (plus were cheaper). Just dial it back a little.

UnleashedGT is offline Junior Member
    primalmontana, the ziplock sounds like a good idea.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    with regards to macadamia nuts, 'too much' is when you stop losing or starting gaining weight, assuming your goal is weightloss. they're basically pure monounsaturated fat, so there's no real 'too much' limit, like certain toxins.

200 calories an ounce though - food for thought... eventually, you'll have to watch how much you take in.

abt303 is offline Member
    I read over at Robb Wolff's site that if you're trying to lose weight you should only eat 1-2oz/nuts daily. As well as only 1 fruit. For now, I'm trying to follow that.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When you start shitting whole macadamia nuts, you should probably cut back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast