Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Attraction page 39

JusticeMonkey is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    i'm sorry that historical discussions make you feel guilty and thus make you deny anything ever happened. you poor thing...
    Damn it, my mother is a woman, you insensitive clod.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i'm insensitive for pointing out history?

kenn is offline Senior Member
    i'm insensitive for pointing out history?
    If that's what you want to call it...
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    . The past is long gone and we can't change it.
    That sir nitwit, is where you are oooooh so very very wrong...

I guess well never know.avi - YouTube

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

right, but we don't have nearly the same infant mortality rates they did. in our society, most babies survive past infancy. in HG groups, generally one died for every one that was alive. menarche occurred at a later age, and fertility was highly dependent on food availability, which might change sharply from year to year. so what you have is a nomadic people, with women giving birth to maybe 6-10 babies in their lifespan and keeping 1/2-2/3 of that number. when groups became too big, they split and went their separate ways to other food sources.

true. that's an interesting hypothesis to explore.
    The big reason why HG groups remained small was due to food resource limitations, yes, but it was also because of the task at hand: tasks like hunting animals do not scale well. At most, a 'hunting team' could be maybe 5 people for larger game, or 1-2 for small game and remain effective. Trapping is much more effective and scales better, but so does agriculture and animal husbandry. Unlike trapping, it takes a fairly long time to exhaust a region of usable resources, and is (relatively) low labor intensity.

A big part of the infant mortality rates was due to insufficient carbohydrates (and fat). Lakota in the Dakotas region would give the fatty parts of the animal to their pregnant and breastfeeding women, and had a relatively low infant mortality rate for HG peoples (in part due to the practice but also because buffalo are big, and have a large percentage of tallow if killed at the right time of the year). Without food sources which allowed them to put on fat while working hard (like grains) the mortality rate would remain high...

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I guess I'm lucky that my father didn't allow me to watch any Disney as a child - he had major problems with how Disney portrayed women as helpless victims who always needed a man to save them, and he also objected to how Disney portrayed animals - he thought that by personifying dangerous animals falsely as cuddly-cuties, people would become misguided vegetarians who applied emotions to their eating habits instead of common sense.
    Wow. Your father was an immensely wise man. Quite the sanguine observation on his part, particularly for the society of 20+ years ago.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    That sir nitwit, is where you are oooooh so very very wrong...

I guess well never know.avi - YouTube
    Haha wow! Where did that reference come from?

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Haha wow! Where did that reference come from?
    ren and steempy?

you don't know ren and stimpy?

....begone from my sight, you've wounded me
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeMonkey View Post
    The big reason why HG groups remained small was due to food resource limitations, yes, but it was also because of the task at hand: tasks like hunting animals do not scale well. At most, a 'hunting team' could be maybe 5 people for larger game, or 1-2 for small game and remain effective. Trapping is much more effective and scales better, but so does agriculture and animal husbandry. Unlike trapping, it takes a fairly long time to exhaust a region of usable resources, and is (relatively) low labor intensity.

A big part of the infant mortality rates was due to insufficient carbohydrates (and fat). Lakota in the Dakotas region would give the fatty parts of the animal to their pregnant and breastfeeding women, and had a relatively low infant mortality rate for HG peoples (in part due to the practice but also because buffalo are big, and have a large percentage of tallow if killed at the right time of the year). Without food sources which allowed them to put on fat while working hard (like grains) the mortality rate would remain high...
    i disagree. we're thinking of the paleolithic era; food was plentiful and human populations were quite low. the Lakota people are neolithic people who also survived on foods like corn. it's kind of difficult to make comparisons.

wilon's too young for ren and stimpy.

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast