Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Attraction page 35

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I love that kenn is citing a legal structure that wrote into law the idea that a woman would be entitled to take ownership of less than half of her late husband's estate, in a society where I am sure a widowed man would "naturally" take control of all of his wife's property on her death, as evidence that institutionalized discrimination against women was not a problem.

Just, like, lolwut?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I love that kenn is citing a legal structure that wrote into law the idea that a woman would be entitled to take ownership of less than half of her late husband's estate, in a society where I am sure a widowed man would "naturally" take control of all of his wife's property on her death, as evidence that institutionalized discrimination against women was not a problem.

Just, like, lolwut?
    an example of presentism
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

drssgchic is offline Senior Member

Just, like, lolwut?
    I was . . . yeah . . . couldn't wrap my head around it enough to actually argue that angle.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

Just, like, lolwut?
    lol, right. she got a whole 1/3 even though it's possible the entire estate was hers to begin with.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    an example of presentism
    So, are you trying to say that we shouldn't judge their policies as sexist because we have hindsight? I really don't see what your point is here. One of these days it would be great if you could actually explain what you think about something, just for funsies.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    Can you find no institutionalized discrimination against men in your studies? Have you even looked?

Have you given half a moment's thought to why that system might have been beneficial for society as a whole, given the higher rate of early mortality in men, and the tendency of women to 'marry up'?

Are you genuinely offended by this 'problem', or have you been conditioned to take offense?

kenn is offline Senior Member
    So, are you trying to say that we shouldn't judge their policies as sexist because we have hindsight? I really don't see what your point is here. One of these days it would be great if you could actually explain what you think about something, just for funsies.
    It's a logical fallacy and typically compels people to take a narrow view of history.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicator View Post
    Can you find no institutionalized discrimination against men in your studies? Have you even looked?

Have you given half a moment's thought to why that system might have been beneficial for society as a whole, given the higher rate of early mortality in men, and the tendency of women to 'marry up'?

Are you genuinely offended by this 'problem', or have you been conditioned to take offense?
    Please explain to me how it was beneficial to women.

Of course men are also descriminated against- but it was a matter of class not gender.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    It's a logical fallacy and typically compels people to take a narrow view of history.
    Yes, I think I can see a narrow view there.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 05-31-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Please explain to me how it was beneficial to women.
    Interesting, the way this question is phrased. It's trajectory traces back to female privilege.

I suppose that the snippet of inheritance law in question would have been beneficial to several women...the widow, and the dead man's surviving female blood relations. It's pretty silly to discuss without context, as inheritance law is extremely regional and complex.

I could be silly, and ask you 'how does paying a bride price benefit men?', or 'how does it benefit a man if he has to repay his wife's dowry to her family if she dies childless', or 'how does jus relictae benefit a man?'...but I realize those institutions at the very least benefit the woman's father.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Of course men are also descriminated against- but it was a matter of class not gender.
    If I put on my leftist thinking cap for a moment, it seems clear to me that men, as a gender, are discriminated against throughout history by being expected to provide physical protection against animals and criminals, go risk their lives in wars, and do dangerous and backbreaking labor.

I guess someone forgot to tell Affirmative Action that, even today, more than 90% of fatalities at the workplace are men.

I hate putting on that cap, though, I always feel dumber afterwards.

It's not discrimination, it's nature. Men benefit from the objectification of women, women benefit from the disposability of men, and society benefits wherever men and women both benefit.

Anyone who claims to seek progress for society but only advocates for one gender is a charlatan, or a collectivist dupe.

Page 35 of 51 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast