Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Attraction page 34

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    For a very, very large part of history- when a woman got married everything she owned and everything she was belonged to her husband. That gives him . . . power.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    For a very, very large part of history- when a woman got married everything she owned and everything she was belonged to her husband. That gives him . . . power.
    That's too broad a statement to attack, focus on certain civs or focus on american culture, which the majority of posters are from.

Bear in mind that recorded history is a fraction of humanities existence as well.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    very true. then there was the issue of family honor. if she ran from her husband, her family felt deeply shamed and would reject her. they might even try to kill her, depending on the culture. of course, we're discussing neolithic cultures here. paleolithic HG cultures were far more egalitarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    very true. then there was the issue of family honor. if she ran from her husband, her family felt deeply shamed and would reject her. they might even try to kill her, depending on the culture. of course, we're discussing neolithic cultures here. paleolithic HG cultures were far more egalitarian.
    What civilization are you referring to?

It is a fraction, but it is the fraction who's fallout we're dealing with right now.

I can't remember the name of the book, but it looked at three women, three generations, in New York. It started in New Amsterdam. The Dutch woman who came over was her uncle or cousin's heavy for extracting loan payments. This was the 1600s I believe? I don't remember the details, but she ended up being the wealthiest woman in the colony- she owned most of I think it was Manhattan? When she got married, the contract stated that she was her own person. She kept control of her businesses. By the third woman, it was New York and under British control. When she married, she did not have the option to remain her own person in the eyes of the law or to become a dependant of her husband's. She was a dependant. The land reverted to his name.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

It is a fraction, but it is the fraction who's fallout we're dealing with right now.

I can't remember the name of the book, but it looked at three women, three generations, in New York. It started in New Amsterdam. The Dutch woman who came over was her uncle or cousin's heavy for extracting loan payments. This was the 1600s I believe? I don't remember the details, but she ended up being the wealthiest woman in the colony- she owned most of I think it was Manhattan? When she got married, the contract stated that she was her own person. She kept control of her businesses. By the third woman, it was New York and under British control. When she married, she did not have the option to remain her own person in the eyes of the law or to become a dependant of her husband's. She was a dependant. The land reverted to his name.
    is it fiction or nonfiction? if it's nonf, i'd be really interested if happened to remember the name of the book or the author.

Try to remember the name, it sounds like fiction.

Under common law, the husband and wife were considered to be one person. If she were to be widowed she had right 1/3 of the land under dowager rights.
    Last edited by kenn; 05-31-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Nonfiction. Amazon.com: The Women of the House: How a Colonial She-Merchant Built a Mansion, a Fortune, and a Dynasty (9780151010653): Jean Zimmerman: Books

The civilizations that invented the sidesaddle. It was commonly joked that a broken maidenhead (which can happen from riding astride) was more devistating than a broken neck.

awesome, i'll add it to my list of books to read!

Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Try to remember the name, it sounds like fiction.

Under common law, the husband and wife were considered to be one person. If she were to be widowed she had right 1/3 of the land under dowager rights.
    Which worked when being sued, because he, as the head of the household, would be sued for what she did. However, it also meant that any money she made would be handed over to him to dispose of as he chose. She had no say in it.

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast