Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: carb count page 3

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ninababie2 View Post
    Organic meat is SO expensive :[ I'll do my best though
    Nothing wrong with buying leaner cuts of conventional meat. If you happen to come across fattier types, just trim the fat, as much as possible.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

ninababie2 is offline Junior Member
    I would really like to lose 10lbs of fat for this summer. I will take advice and up my protein and try to gain some muscle first..but I have been eating and exercising almost perfectly for two weeks and haven't noticed any changes. Do you all think upping the protein will help expedite this? I've been taking Marks word as law and I took it as him saying to focus on fat- So I've been loading up on avocados and coconut butter..To put into perspective I've been averaging 80g fat 80g carbs and 65g protein. No forbidden foods besides the lunabar that somehow made it out of the wrapper and into my mouth...

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Mark says .7 per pound of lean mass is okay...and that is 65 for me. I will try to eat a little more though. It just seemed to me like fat was the goal. Does anyone hAve a ratio they strive for? That would be the most helpful
    Mark says 0.7g/lb is ok - and it is okay for the sedentary office worker/couch potato looking to lose fat and hold onto most of their muscle while not exercising much. For someone that wants to lose fat AND build muscle, it's grossly inadequate IMO. Practically any fitness enthusiast will tell you to eat 1-2g/lb. 2g/lb seems to be the cutoff where your body can't use it and converts it into glucose, so that's overkill for most unless you just really love eating meat. I personally find 1.5g/lb to be the sweet spot, but YMMV. I'd lose a lot of muscle and have very poor recovery eating 0.7g/lb. I notice a significant difference eating 1g/lb vs 1.5g/lb.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    If you eat very low carb then protein will be squandered on gluconeogenesis.
    This is another good point I did not think about. Regardless of what the low carb Nazis will tell you, ketogenic/VLC diets are notorious in the body building community for being muscle-wasting. This is because your body never runs on 100% ketones - your body is always trying to scrounge up as much glucose as possible, and on VLC diets, that glucose is being made from protein. Basically, you are catabolizing more muscle tissue, so you need a higher intake of protein on VLC diets than moderate carb diets because you are using more of it for normal life processes. Carbohydrate is more protective of muscle tissue than fat for this reason, so the lower carb you go, the more protein you should be eating to protect/build muscle.

I don't think you will be able to achieve what you're looking to achieve eating ~60g of protein on a ketogenic diet. You'll likely have to double that.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I would really like to lose 10lbs of fat for this summer. I will take advice and up my protein and try to gain some muscle first..but I have been eating and exercising almost perfectly for two weeks and haven't noticed any changes. Do you all think upping the protein will help expedite this? I've been taking Marks word as law and I took it as him saying to focus on fat- So I've been loading up on avocados and coconut butter..To put into perspective I've been averaging 80g fat 80g carbs and 65g protein. No forbidden foods besides the lunabar that somehow made it out of the wrapper and into my mouth...
    You have to eat less fat if you want to burn through stored fat. Your body will not tap into adipose tissue until you have exhausted free glucose to burn first, then free fatty acids from dietary fat. Since you're eating VLC, the glucose is not an issue, but piling on avocados and coconut...well, they're so fatty, they're two of the worst foods for fat loss (but they are healthy and delicious!). Lean meats and vegetables are the way to go - I'd recommend dropping dietary fat to the minimum that makes you feel good. I've done very low fat AND very low carb with pretty much all protein and after 2-3 days, you really start feeling sluggish and depressed (no energy), so I can't recommend that, but if you want to burn stored fat, you're going to have to stop eating so much dietary fat. Pushing more calories to protein will enhance fat burn - dietary fat is the most easily stored as body fat (significantly easier than carbs) and protein is very difficult to store as fat. Fat simply has the advantage of keeping you fuller longer, so The Primal Blueprint works by making it more simple to maintain a caloric deficit since you're not always hungry (unlike the CW low-fat/high carb diet that leaves you constantly hungry). There's no magic to this, it's all calorie driven.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    For people who count carbs.. are you adding the carbs and sugar together? If you eat fruit .. the sugar and carbs are mostly the same thing. I don't do much counting but was curious if those who do include sugar in their carb count.

No I don't. I have a myfitnesspal app on my iphone and i log everything that I eat

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I say swap fat for protein. About 20 g fat for 40 g protein.

Alternatively, exercise more and add the calories burnt as protein - this is likely to obtain better results. Walk an extra 2 miles a day or equivalent activity and add 40 g protein.

ETA Or do a combo of the two above to achieve the same result.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 05-23-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: ETA
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Okay everyone. New goals: Upped the calories to 1350 a day 75g fat 70g carbs 100g protein. Going to try to take a walk a day to negate some of the calories. (I work 80 hours a week so exercise is a luxury)

Also eating between 7am-2pm for IF on not workout days (I need to eat in the mornings!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123