Thread: 7 weeks inot Primal and have hit a wall page

rrich49132 is offline Member

7 weeks inot Primal and have hit a wall

Primal Fuel
    I have been doing Primal now for 7 weeks. I am 43 yrs old by the way and am 5'11 and 188 lbs now. When I started this I was 194 lbs and in the first 3 weeks I lost 6 lbs and have been stuck here at 188 for the last month? Have any of you hit a wall? It seems like whatever I do I end up hovering around 190 lbs. UGH!!!!!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    It happens, some people reckon it's your body healing from bad food? I know I plateaued for about a month, then started losing again. I'd say keep going, making sure you are eating the right proportions of food, if you want to try IF then you have been primal for longer than I was when I first skipped breakfast, and I found it fairly easy.

You can also consider cutting out any or all off; nuts, fruit, dairy, as some poeple find that consumtion of these stalls or slows weight loss. All the best
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Thanks I do have nuts now and again but not fruit or dairy.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Don't want to depress you, but if you're eating low carb, I'd say that the 6 lb loss was mostly water weight.

On the other hand, perhaps you've been gaining muscle while losing fat during the past month - if so, your clothes should have got a little loser.

Maybe try cutting out the nuts, especially if you are eating them as snacks.

ETA Plateaus are common, so I wouldn't worry too much. A carb refeed can help break a plateau.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 05-22-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: ETA
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

What do you mean by a carb refeed? I have been doing very low carbs as I have eliminated the breads, rice, grains and such?
    Last edited by rrich49132; 05-22-2012 at 11:44 AM.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    ^ A carb refeed is when you up your carb intake for a day, once a week, or once every few weeks. Typically to the 150-250 g range for someone of your size.

This helps keep your carbohydrate metabolism working, and minimises the slowing of your BMR.

If you don't want to eat white rice in order to this, then sweet potatoes or white potatoes are a good alternative. The carbs need to come mostly from starch.

I'm not eating very low carb. I always eat about 120 g starch post-workout and focus carb intake on evening meals. Hence, I'm not very familiar with the fineries of the refeed protocol. Best to run a search on carb refeeds, or hopefully another poster will be able to offer more detailed advice.

If you could post a typically daily menu with approx calories and macros, for comment, and indicate your weekly exercise/activity levels, that should help in obtaining more detailed advice.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 05-22-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.