Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: First Attempt at Beef Heart page

  1. #1
    AbigailLyn's Avatar
    AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    287

    First Attempt at Beef Heart

    Hey all -

    So I scored 3 and a quarter pounds of grass fed beef heart for 12 bucks at the farmer's market, only to realize - I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH BEEF HEART!!!

    Suggestions? Recipes? Cooking techniques? Let me have them!

    Abby

  2. #2
    KerryK's Avatar
    KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the Hudson Valley, New York
    Posts
    389
    Searching Marks blog I see lots of info including

    Grilled Beef Heart with Roasted Chili Peppers | Mark's Daily Apple

    Slow-Cooked

    Searching the forums I found quite few also, including:

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53849.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread718.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread20903.html

    But there are more if you search. I have only had heart once chopped and sautéed in butter and thyme (yum!) but I can't wait to get another and try the heart on fire. Good luck.

  3. #3
    sarak's Avatar
    sarak is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    22
    My husband makes and AWESOME stew, carrots, celery, some herbs etc. The heart makes a nice gravy that doesn't happen with other beef. We recently tried slicing it and grilling it like steak which was pretty good too. It has it's own flavor which isn't *too* strong but I liked the stew to adjust to the flavor....now I don't mind it grilled. Stuffed and baked is really good too....just stuff it with whatever sounds good

  4. #4
    MightyAl's Avatar
    MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Quad Cities, IA
    Posts
    508
    I have tried 2 methods of cooking beef heart. I recently tried cutting it into strips and grilling. This turned out ok but I was less then impressed with th results. The heart does not absorb seasoning well and the taste is bland. Also it is difficult to deal with the hard fat on the heart.

    My preferred method is to use a slow cooker and throw the whole thing in. The fat turns the whole thing into a rich wonderful stew. I added carrots, onions, mushrooms, and treated it like a roast. I loved it.

    Here is my blog about the crock pot beef heart.

    Grass Fed Organ Meats Pt. 2 - Crock Pot Beef Heart - Primal Roar
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

  5. #5
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,524
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    I have tried 2 methods of cooking beef heart. I recently tried cutting it into strips and grilling. This turned out ok but I was less then impressed with th results. The heart does not absorb seasoning well and the taste is bland. Also it is difficult to deal with the hard fat on the heart.
    If you're going to sear it and eat it rare-ish, it's imperative to trim it very well. You gotta cut off the fat since it won't have time to render and you have to trim off the fascia so that the meat can absorb any spices (also the fascia is chewy when it's not cooked for a long time). Here's a video of Chris Cosentino showing how to do it: Cleaning a beef heart - YouTube
    I save all the trim and grind it. I use it just like any other ground beef.

    Your recipe looks pretty delicious, by the way. i might actually have to try it slow cooked one of these days.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 12-12-2012 at 11:33 AM.

  6. #6
    MightyAl's Avatar
    MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Quad Cities, IA
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    If you're going to sear it and eat it rare-ish, it's imperative to trim it very well. You gotta cut off the fat since it won't have time to render and you have to trim off the fascia so that the meat can absorb any spices (also the fascia is chewy when it's not cooked for a long time). Here's a video of Chris Cosentino showing how to do it: Cleaning a beef heart - YouTube
    I save all the trim and grind it. I use it just like any other ground beef.

    You're recipe looks pretty delicious, by the way. i might actually have to try it slow cooked one of these days.
    Yeah trimming it annoyed me because I know I ate all those parts when I slow cooked it. I don't have a meat grinder so the trimmings were wasted. All my hearts will be in the slow cooker from now on.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

  7. #7
    Analog6's Avatar
    Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Posts
    647
    How hard is it to get all the connective tissue, valves and so on out? I do have good sharp meat knives. I'm planning to get a slow cooker in a week or tow and thought I would try this.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

    My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

  8. #8
    boxcarguy07's Avatar
    boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    206
    heart is quite delicious raw, little salt and you're good. umm... but I understand i'm probably the only one who will ever do that. in either case, it is blasphemy for anyone to trim the fat from the heart, it is some of the best fat nature has to offer.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

  9. #9
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,524
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    heart is quite delicious raw, little salt and you're good. umm... but I understand i'm probably the only one who will ever do that. in either case, it is blasphemy for anyone to trim the fat from the heart, it is some of the best fat nature has to offer.
    I have been tempted to eat it raw when trimming it. I will try that when I get some from a grass-fed cow. Don't really trust the conventionally raised beef to be super clean. And don't worry, I eat the fat. I either grind it with the rest of the trim or render it.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 05-22-2012 at 07:03 PM.

  10. #10
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've nibbled on raw chicken hearts but have yet to find beef hearts at the stores I frequent. Chicken hearts are pretty easy to just throw on a pan and cook quickly, no trimming necessary at least in my experience, and no chewy or hard bits.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •