Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it okay not to reach your caloric goal? page

yafoo22 is offline Junior Member

Is it okay not to reach your caloric goal?

I have been on paleo for about a year and a half now. At first, I lost 50 pounds within the first few months and then my 90/10 paleo went to about a 70/30 for a while and I maintained my loss. Within the past couple of weeks I've gone back to about 95/5 paleo I have started intermittent fasting. I basically stop eating before 8pm and usually don't eat again until noon-ish the following day. It's not a challenge, I'm just never hungry in the morning anymore. If I am hungry, then I won't skip breakfast that day. I've been tracking my calories and I really never hit my caloric goal. I know calories aren't a big deal if you're under them, but I am wayyyy under them. The past week or so I have been around 1000 calories, sometimes less. I am a 5'3 female weighing 207 pounds, so I should technically be eating another 800ish calories to reach a caloric deficit to lose weight. My question is... is this a problem? I'm not hungry what so ever and if I feel sluggish I incorporate some more fat. Is it ok to just listen to my body like I have been or do I HAVE to eat more?

grayumm is offline Junior Member
    I'd say listen to your body.
    Learn to swim.

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need."

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Not a big deal if your energy/sleep are both good...in a couple of weeks it may catch up to you and you may eat a lot more for awhile. Also not a big deal. Go by how you feel.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yafoo22 View Post
    I have been on paleo for about a year and a half now. At first, I lost 50 pounds within the first few months and then my 90/10 paleo went to about a 70/30 for a while and I maintained my loss. Within the past couple of weeks I've gone back to about 95/5 paleo I have started intermittent fasting. I basically stop eating before 8pm and usually don't eat again until noon-ish the following day. It's not a challenge, I'm just never hungry in the morning anymore. If I am hungry, then I won't skip breakfast that day. I've been tracking my calories and I really never hit my caloric goal. I know calories aren't a big deal if you're under them, but I am wayyyy under them. The past week or so I have been around 1000 calories, sometimes less. I am a 5'3 female weighing 207 pounds, so I should technically be eating another 800ish calories to reach a caloric deficit to lose weight. My question is... is this a problem? I'm not hungry what so ever and if I feel sluggish I incorporate some more fat. Is it ok to just listen to my body like I have been or do I HAVE to eat more?
    not quite understanding this~ you think you need to eat more to lose weight? You're 5'3"~ I doubt 1800 calories a day will produce weight loss. JMO, but if you're not hungry, don't eat. And listen to your body~ when it wants more food, it'll let you know.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    To be honest, I found it was hard to meet my caloric goal daily. I IF too in the morning. Generally eat at around 2 or 3 pm. I was counting calories for the first couple weeks until I got the hang of it, then I stopped. Now I listen to what my body is telling me that I need. I always bring extra food to work in the event that my body says to eat some damn food. It usually just comes back home with me uneaten. I am very sure that my daily calories are way under but I only worry about it if my body tells me to.

yafoo22 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the responses. Guess I will just continue listening to my body until it tells me it's hungry

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    not quite understanding this~ you think you need to eat more to lose weight? You're 5'3"~ I doubt 1800 calories a day will produce weight loss. JMO, but if you're not hungry, don't eat. And listen to your body~ when it wants more food, it'll let you know.
    I agree. Also, the "official" caloric "needs" numbers are all written with a carb burning metabolism in mind. If you are well and truly switched over to fat burning, it is very easy to eat less than the official numbers say with no ill effects.

lotusberries is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Exactly. I am 5'8" 300lbs, and if I eat as much as 1800cal a day my weight loss stalls. I've tried the "eat more because you're not eating enough" that people suggest and it results in weight gain every single time. I only eat twice a day and often I am very full after only around 1000 or so. I just go with it.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Definitely listen to your body. But if you find weight loss stalling, do conside that you need to eat more rather than less.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Listen to your body but also know your body can trip you up with no hunger signs as it tries to conserve its resources if you frequently undereat. Look for other signs such as fatigue, lack of energy, emotional state, too as a guide that might hint that you are not eating enough. I notice if I drop my calories too low long term (under my BMR), I'm not hungry either but I feel like crap after a while until I make myself eat a bit more.

Also don't undereat thinking you HAVE to to lose weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast