Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Done Jump Rope 'Sprinting'? page

Guster is offline Junior Member

Has Anyone Done Jump Rope 'Sprinting'?

Shop Now
    Hello, I've been doing sprints on an eliptical, and think that it's time to change it up some.

I don't have easy access to anyplace outside to do actual sprints so am thinking of trying
    them with a jump rope. Has anyone tried this before? Does it give you a good 'out of breath' sprint? I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, but thought that I would check to see if anyone has any experience with it, thanks.

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    This is what I do! I also don't have any nearby access to sprint and I don't like running around my neighborhood. I do them for 30 seconds with 50 second rest in between, don't know if I should add more rest time, but I do get really tired really fast, specially when I don't trip and I'm able to jump for the 30 seconds straight, so for me its a pretty good substitute.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Ease into it. If you don't you can injure your Achilles and/or hamstrings pretty easily. Once you can do two minutes of steady state jumping with no problem, then give 10 seconds at the end of every minute a burst and see how you do. After a few weeks of regular Jump rope training your friends will begin to comment on the size of your calves. Mine doubled in size after about a month.

For a really good workout, try doing one legged jump rope, switching legs every 15 seconds (again, once you are conditioned for the motion pretty well).

Dave

Guster is offline Junior Member
    Thank you both for the information. I just got done, and have to say it is quite different then using
    the eliptical. I did 20 - 30 second "sets", resting for about 10-20 seconds. My legs got quite a
    work out but I do not think that I got my heart rate up as much as doing it on the eliptical. I think
    that will come as I get better at jumping. Do you jump every day or treat it as a 'sprint' as far
    as doing it 2-3 times a week? thanks again..

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I do sprints occasionally. More often, though, I do jump squats, burpee's, jacobs ladder, plank jumps for 15-30 min interval-style as my "sprints"

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the idea. I totally forgot I had a jump rope. Will do this too!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guster View Post
    Hello, I've been doing sprints on an eliptical, and think that it's time to change it up some.

I don't have easy access to anyplace outside to do actual sprints so am thinking of trying
    them with a jump rope. Has anyone tried this before? Does it give you a good 'out of breath' sprint? I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, but thought that I would check to see if anyone has any experience with it, thanks.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Sh*t. That's crazy!

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guster View Post
    I do not think that I got my heart rate up as much as doing it on the eliptical.
    I should add that when I sprint with the jump rope I don't :jump" persee, but do it "running style" which at least for me gets my heart rate really up. Maybe try it both ways? Happy Experimenting!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast