Thread: Possible to maintain muscle with light lifting/body weight exercises? page

betweenthewheel is offline Junior Member

Possible to maintain muscle with light lifting/body weight exercises?

Primal Fuel
    I've put on a good deal of lean mass over the past year lifting heavy, primarily squats, deadlift & presses.

Would I be able to maintain my current muscle mass with just body weight exercises or a lot lighter weight? i.e. weighted pushups, etc? Or would I gradually lose mass over time?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by betweenthewheel View Post
    I've put on a good deal of lean mass over the past year lifting heavy, primarily squats, deadlift & presses.

Would I be able to maintain my current muscle mass with just body weight exercises or a lot lighter weight? i.e. weighted pushups, etc? Or would I gradually lose mass over time?
    Your body will maintain lean tissue appropriate for the activity level.

Try just working out once a week or even less. But basically if you don't try to progress in the weights you use then you should pretty much stay at the same level.

Jiigigaw is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, you can maintain and build bulk with body weight exercise. There are a lot of ways to increase things like leverage and such to increase the resistance without weights. Also, non-gym based exercise (no equipment, no bars, no nothing) tends to build more on the core as well, since most exercises require core use.