Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bryanccfshr's Journal page

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member

Bryanccfshr's Journal

Primal Fuel
    I should have been keeping a journal since the beggining. To chronicle the changes I have experienced and am starting one now just to keep track of any new changes.

My Intro, I am 41 a former Marine who's job used to require alot of travel and seperation from my framily. I was always athletic but when I turned 30 I began to slide a bit.

I started out weighing 185 in 2001 and by the end of it I was 202. I lost the wieght a couple of times but 205 became my "norm" 32 waist stretched to 34 then 36 and last summer I was about to graduate a pant size again to a 38 and was weighing a around 215. I had been suffering chronic backpain for a few years and was almost resigned to live a less physical life. I wasn't paying much attention anymore I was busy at work and stressed out with a move.
    Once my relocation was completed In July I realizewd I needed to regain control of my physical self. During my weight gain I had battled some deprtession and mood swings. I also was borderline hypertensive. FOr a former football player and Marine who really enjouyed the outdoors this was no place to be.

I began studying intensively on diet and how it affects the mind and body and began by looking into gluten free out of intrest for a niece with celiacs and terrets. I began to to hike and be more active while pushing a bettwer CW diet down my throat. I felt a bit better being active but was not really losing the fat or changine my bloodpressure.
    I came across the paleo diet and instantly became interested, I found Marks daily apple and was hooked. It made perfect sense.
    It was a fight eliminating grains from my house. My wife initially resisted, she loves to bake bread and pasta was a household staple. Eventually she agreed to buy the foods I wanted to eat and in Late august early september of 2011 after a pantry purge I was eating strict Primal and performing the PBF fitness I had my work desk set up for standing at the desk and dove in.

To say the weight came off fast would be an understatement. It melted at 2-5 pounds a week I could hardly believe the scale.
    I got stronger and fitter progressively and have been at the weight of 185 for the past 3 months. After a tranfermation of two pantsizes back to a 32 I am now ready to up my game. Two months ago I began adding deadlifts and sandbag zerker squats to my PBF lifting reutine. I have built up confidence in my back strength and have advanced to performing handstand presses, pistol squats(not really an achievement with my bacjkground just a reemergence of an old strength) and plyo pullups working on muscle ups(can do assisted by kipping or jumping but not quite there yet).

My wife cut her grains in october after seeing my quick results and although she is not transforming as fast as me because she is female I am happy that she is healthier and more energetic.

Today I tried my first Crossfit football workout and I think I will commit to it for continued strength gains.

Other activities I enjoy doing are hikes, scouting for fall hunt trips, Mountain biking and if I ever have the time getting my Kayaks out and paddling and fishing flatwaters in my area.

Thursday My wife and I leave for St Lucia for our first real get away. we have been married 20 years and I am working on the enjoying life part of primal.

I will follow this post with some photos.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Missed food Journal entries.

I have not been watching my food intake lately but have photographed some random meals. To catalog what is a normal meal for me.

Here is some of my meals.
    A favorite, Ribeye, Kale and a stuffed Portebello

This one rocks That's not sour creme on the yam it's creme frascshe(Sp?) Kerrygold butter everywhere it's appropriate.

Same stuff but a real sweet potate and braised short ribs.

You have to love dinners like this lobster tails stuffed steak salad and wine . (yes I use Bragg Salad dressing not too evil) That's kerrygold dipping butter to the right.

This time it's a ribeye a sweet potato lobster and elk sausauge.

Breakfast includes beef chuck ribs, avocado potatoes and some pastured eggs fried in coconut oil.

nothing fancy here just chicken thighs and the apparent

Chicken breast smoked, with salad and sweet potatoe a post workoput fave.

More chicken breast and big salad.

My weekend recovery favorite

eating out for breakfast for my wifes b-day yesterday

thyis was a definate cheat but who can resist a bloody mary with bacon in it?

Back from a week in st lucia. I gained four pounds but I had began crossfit football the week before departure. I worked out a couple of times on vacation and am pushing more food down my face in an attempt to adapt to the physical demands I am pushing through. I plan to crossfit foot all during the week and it is time to start scouting melk hunting grounds for the fall. I will be hiking about at least once a weekend doing surveys and finding animals and logging that data.

I am feeling good from vacation.

Some vacation photos

I also got to learn to sail and learned to relax a bit more. Vacations are good

Yesterday was a rest day from cffb so I walked a little 15300 steps yesterday. My sleep cycles are currently in extreme. I don't know if it's jet lag,new intensity in my training freaking some hormones out of me or seasonal.
    I quickly go into deep REM sleep and after one or two hours income alert and marvel at the dream fall slowly back unconscious and go into another vivid dream. Last night I dreamed aboutmy wife buying a 4 million dollar house in another state. It was awesome but I was like wtf? How am I going to pay for this? Then my dog who sleeps with me and is intune to my freaking in my sleep tries to wake me up. Rinse repeat fall back to sleep. I miss winter and the colder temps. I sleep better.
    Last edited by bryanccfshr; 06-07-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Today I am relaxing on the porch getting some sun. After breakfast I will shred a pork shoulder that's been cooking 24hours to snarf on the rest of the weekend . Going to drive up to silver ton and poke around at higher elevations for cooler weather later.

Tough week of workouts I had three days of sprints and yesterday found my 1rm on only lifts and front squats. Having to eat much more and focus on sleep to recover. Taking entire weekend off unless a bear chases me or something when I go mapping mt hunting area.

I have to back off russet potatoes. Wife used them in roast beef but I get bad gas from them. I do better on yellow, purple or red potatoes. Russets came in the bag of purple jewel potatoes so I at them all. Oh well better eat.

Today I am relaxing on the porch getting some sun. After breakfast I will shred a pork shoulder that's been cooking 24hours to snarf on the rest of the weekend . Going to drive up to silver ton and poke around at higher elevations for cooler weather later.

Tough week of workouts I had three days of sprints and yesterday found my 1rm on only lifts and front squats. Having to eat much more and focus on sleep to recover. Taking entire weekend off unless a bear chases me or something when I go mapping mt hunting area.

I have to back off russet potatoes. Wife used them in roast beef but I get bad gas from them. I do better on yellow, purple or red potatoes. Russets came in the bag of purple jewel potatoes so I at them all. Oh well better eat.

I had a restfull weekend. I smoked and slow cooked a pork shoulder and consumed it in its entirety over the weekend. Also made a Brisekt and will polish it off for lunch. I am fully recovered from last weeks workouts and attribute to that to being well fed, well rested and drinking that quart of whole milk on Saturday.

Ik the milk was a experiment to see if I could handle it. I tolerate dairy well and this proved it. I may begin using it to aid my recovery from the CFFB workouts(not going gomad) that are not entirely age appropriate for me. I have to be dilligent on my nutrition and rest to get the strenght gains I am looking for(might I reiterate I am 41 and training with a mature career to maintain so I am monitoring closely for fatigue)

Next week I will be in Houston for the week so being out of town I will have to monitor even closer. (probably take Friday off to watch my nephew in a surf competition get some sun and time with relatives.)

PrimalCon New York
    Nothing much to add Today. I will be out of town next week and don't look forward to the extra stressor. Sleep has been mediocre. To much smoke to open windows for real cool air due to wildfires and the ac stops running at night due to the low outside temps. This equals a stuffy house in the middle of the night. I prefer 60 to63 and only get down to 72.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast