Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs and Ketosis-what do your meals look like? page

sophiek is offline Junior Member

Carbs and Ketosis-what do your meals look like?

Mark states to be a "fat burning beast" we need to eat 100 g of carbs a day. I really love vegetables and eat a lot of them but how much is too much... I would like to see what other people are eating when in weight loss mode and the quantities of veggies and fruits consumed? Any input would be much appreciated!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I am experimenting with low carb again. I don't do dairy except for butter, so it's a little challenging. I eat a lot of broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and other greens for my veggies. I also have been using turnips in place of potatoes for some dishes.

I eat a lot of eggs and meats. I don't worry about fat, and probably have increase my fat some since I don't have the starchy carbs in my diet right now. I am not sure about specific quantities since I am not tracking.

One thing I have noticed is that I constantly feel hungry. I can eat a huge meal of fatty meat and veggies, and within a few hours I am ready to eat again. I wasn't like that when I was eating about 100-150g carbs per day.

dantonn9 is offline Senior Member
    I don't track carbs because I will obsess over it. My idea of a good, filling meal is:

-3 eggs over easy (in bacon fat) and half an avocado with crumbled bacon
    - 2-3 chicken thighs and a big ass salad
    - steak with sauteed veggies (in butter)

I have much more, of course, but those came to mind first. I don't think I eat as much as others on this site, but I'm still learning to read my body signs, so I'm slowly increasing the proper foods to be more efficient with my meals. If that even makes sense...
    Danni

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I think you have to experiment with what works for you.

Yesterday was a typical day. At noon I ate 4 scrambled eggs cooked in butter, and some cold bbq'd chicken. At about 7pm I ate three lamb chops with the fat, boccoli with a bit of grated cheddar, and some plain raspberries with a bit of cream.

I am slowly losing (which is what I want) and I eat when I am hungry, which is typically twice per day. Sometimes more often, but then I eat more often. When I was keeping track on fitday at the beginning of my diet change I found I was eating about 35 grams of carbs per day and I would say that this is still the same. As soon as I add starch (potato) I stall. I still feel good and have energy to get me through the day.

However, I also acknowledge that I need to exercise more and this would probably allow me to eat more carbs, and calories, than I am currently eating. One step at a time...

Hope that helps.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dantonn9 View Post
    I don't track carbs because I will obsess over it. My idea of a good, filling meal is:

-3 eggs over easy (in bacon fat) and half an avocado with crumbled bacon
    - 2-3 chicken thighs and a big ass salad
    - steak with sauteed veggies (in butter)

I have much more, of course, but those came to mind first. I don't think I eat as much as others on this site, but I'm still learning to read my body signs, so I'm slowly increasing the proper foods to be more efficient with my meals. If that even makes sense...

Ok, so this is one meal? That's a big meal! The 2-3 chicken thighs would be plenty for me.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My quantities of fruits rarely exceed one piece of fruit in a day. I do not limit vegetables on purpose ever (except by hunger.) I eat about 1/2 sweet potato most days.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

sophiek is offline Junior Member
    So are veggies like cauliflower and broccoli pretty much eat without worrying about quantities. I think I'm going to limit my fruit to just 1 a day as stated above but in terms of lunch and dinner I tend to eat huge servings of vegetables...like a whole head of cauliflower or a couple heads of broccoli or even 2 artichokes. Do I need to worry that large servings of these types of vegetables will up the carb count too much or am I just being crazy?

d2mini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Ok, so this is one meal? That's a big meal! The 2-3 chicken thighs would be plenty for me.
    I think those are 3 separate meal ideas.
    -dennis

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    i only eat once a day and my usual go to meal is this:

8 eggs
    Homeade dressing(2 tbps oil, cidar vinegar, pumpkin and spices)
    Some kind of meat in the 4 to 12oz range depending
    Veggies - carrots, celery, spinach, broccoli usually about 2 to 3 cups of each
    3 oz of berries
    A banana or 2
    Homemade honey mustard
    Some nut butter or regular butter 2 to 4 tablespoons of either
    Sweet potato in the 8 oz range

I just throw it all together in a giant bowl and its fucking delicious. Am i burning fat or storong carbs as fat i have no clue but im not gaining weight and i always have tons of energy. I dont know if anyone would even consoder this high carb or not but its working for me so i stick with it.

habrielaCriss is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think I'm going to limit my fruit to just 1 a day as stated above

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast