Thread: New to Primal - Just can't get a grip!!! page

tim3 is offline Junior Member

New to Primal - Just can't get a grip!!!

Shop Now
    Hey guys, Im new to paleo and primal blueprint.

I have tried going primal/paleo a few times, however none have lasted more than two weeks.
    I don't know why but, i cheat, and then that's it! I can't get back into it, despite the cheat being half a pizza or something.

I hear that being paleo changes your mindset and makes you mentally stronger, which i think is something i need, but i just cant get my head into a long-term view for this 'diet'.

The funny thing is, i'm an advocate of eating healthy and exercising, however the last month (exams etc.) i havent exercised at all and eaten semi-poorly.

I have struggled with confidence in my appearance for about 4/5 years, and it is the last few pounds that i want to get rid of, an almost 'skinnyfat' bulge over my jeans when i sit down, and this has always been the case despite the amount of exercise i did.

I really want to get my head straight and crack on with improving my health, apperance and most importantly to me, my general happiness, as i feel this has gone too far and i know has had an impact on my social, mental, emotion and sexual life.

I this i just need some reassurance or something, i dont know, maybe a penpal of support or something, just to keep me on track!

Any thoughts or tips, or similar situations would be great guys!!

Thankyou!

My stats are:
    Height: 6 feet 1 inch
    Weight: 82kg

Photos are also attached...
    Photo on 21-05-2012 at 18.15.jpgPhoto on 21-05-2012 at 18.15 #2.jpgPhoto on 21-05-2012 at 18.15 #3.jpgPhoto on 21-05-2012 at 18.15 #4.jpgPhoto on 21-05-2012 at 18.16.jpg

Nady is offline Senior Member
    As long as you think of this as a 'diet' you will struggle.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Many people have success easing into it, and eliminating all thoughts of "diet" "cheat" etc. Spend one week at each step, increasing gradually:
    1. Make breakfasts primal
    2. Stop all snacking
    3. Minimize booze
    4. Make all dinners primal
    5. make lunches "more" primal
    6. Start IFing and primal-type exercise.

Or, find another way to ease into it. It does work, after all.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

dantonn9 is offline Senior Member
    You need to WANT to eat primal. You need to understand why primal eaters eat the way they do. Why certain foods are avoided. It's a lifestyle, not a diet. When accepting all of these things, I think that is when Primal eating becomes much easier. Are there still cheats? Probably. It's hard, especially with the lifestyle we grew up with. It's tough, but you need to learn discipline. You CAN do this!
    Danni

d2mini is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dantonn9 View Post
    You need to WANT to eat primal. You need to understand why primal eaters eat the way they do. Why certain foods are avoided.
    I agree. If you know WHY, it makes it much easier to stick to it. Because when you know why, certain foods will literally scare you and/or disgust you.

I read Gary Taubes' book first. "Why We Get Fat". It's a very easy read and an eye opener for sure.
    -dennis

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing magic about primal - it's not a pill that gives control or motivation - you have to want it for it too work, just like any other approach.

followtim.wordpress.com

I'm blogging!

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    People that eat primal/ancestral/caveman style usually don't do it for Looks.
    I'd say just about 100% of us here eat primally for health reasons...and HAVE to stick with it.

If you're just trying this out for image reasons and have otherwise no health problems, stick with a healthy diet that includes grains.
    I ate a healthy organic unprocessed SAD diet and didn't really feel any effects of it until my late 30's.(besides my chronic constipation)

The good thing is that you know NOW how to fix ailments through foods and when you come down with something you already know the answer to how to repair your body.

Go get laid, get drunk, do stupid shit like a 21 year old is supposed to =P
    Enjoy life!

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    Go get laid, get drunk, do stupid shit like a 21 year old is supposed to =P
    Enjoy life!
    This is brilliant!!! Ha! Thankyou for the kick up the butt! am i thinking too far ahead? this is quite a refreshing outlook you've provided...