Thread: New to Primal - Just can't get a grip!!! page

tim3 is offline Junior Member

New to Primal - Just can't get a grip!!!

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, Im new to paleo and primal blueprint.

I have tried going primal/paleo a few times, however none have lasted more than two weeks.
    I don't know why but, i cheat, and then that's it! I can't get back into it, despite the cheat being half a pizza or something.

I hear that being paleo changes your mindset and makes you mentally stronger, which i think is something i need, but i just cant get my head into a long-term view for this 'diet'.

The funny thing is, i'm an advocate of eating healthy and exercising, however the last month (exams etc.) i havent exercised at all and eaten semi-poorly.

I have struggled with confidence in my appearance for about 4/5 years, and it is the last few pounds that i want to get rid of, an almost 'skinnyfat' bulge over my jeans when i sit down, and this has always been the case despite the amount of exercise i did.

I really want to get my head straight and crack on with improving my health, apperance and most importantly to me, my general happiness, as i feel this has gone too far and i know has had an impact on my social, mental, emotion and sexual life.

I this i just need some reassurance or something, i dont know, maybe a penpal of support or something, just to keep me on track!

Any thoughts or tips, or similar situations would be great guys!!

Thankyou!

My stats are:
    Height: 6 feet 1 inch
    Weight: 82kg

Photos are also attached...

Photo on 21-05-2012 at 18.15.jpgPhoto on 21-05-2012 at 18.15 #2.jpgPhoto on 21-05-2012 at 18.15 #3.jpgPhoto on 21-05-2012 at 18.15 #4.jpgPhoto on 21-05-2012 at 18.16.jpg

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim3 View Post
    I don't know why but, i cheat, and then that's it! I can't get back into it, despite the cheat being half a pizza or something.
    I think you've probably identified something quite important there. It sounds like it's "all or nothing" -- you make what you regard as a little slip, then take things as completely broken. But they're not. You implicitly recognize that by saying "despite". So if you really want to do the program, when the "slip" comes just accept it and get right back with the program again. Both Paleo and Primal allow "open" meals occasionally, anyway: so while some pizza isn't an ideal thing to eat, you could regard it as part of a Primal Diet -- as your 20%.

I this i just need some reassurance or something, i dont know, maybe a penpal of support or something, just to keep me on track!
    Yes, you need to do something, since you say your confidence is low. And that's unwarranted since for sure you are good at a load of stuff. One thing you could do would be to expose yourself to more positive messages. This could mean, for example, positive self-talk. There are dozens of books on this -- e.g.:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

You can even record affirmations and play them back through headphones.

Try listening to some really positive people talking and discussing their strategies. The guest interviewed here is one of the most positive people I've ever heard and has has some great tips for "getting rid of head trash" and enthusing yourself. Really strongly recommended:

18 Inches The Difference Between Success and Failure w/ TD 03/20 by Underground Wellness | Blog Talk Radio

grayumm is offline Junior Member
    You can do this! Remove all the junk from your cupboards. For motivation, I like to look at other people shoveling crap into their bodies and then think about how much more capable my body has become because I've been taking proper care of it.
    Learn to swim.

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need."

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you have a stress response that relates to food -- that you might (please note "might") be using food to comfort against the stress.

Combine this with the all/nothing thinking, and that makes it tough to get over the 'hump' so to speak of the adaptation. Just take it one decision at a time, and if one of the decisions is to eat something off primal, then you don't worry about it and move forward.

habrielaCriss is offline Junior Member
    I've been taking proper care of it.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    My Suggestions:
    - Get rid of all non-primal foods that are in your house
    - Create large primal recipes that will last for a few days
    - Bring enough food with you wherever you go and water too (in a cooler with ice packs)
    - Leave your money, debit card, credit cards at home so that you cannot "cheat" (hence bringing enough food so there is no excuse to need the money, etc)

Essentially, I am trying to suggest that you eliminate all possible situations in which you could "cheat". If you don't have money, debit or credit card, you can't buy anything non-primal. If you don't have any non-primal foods in the house, you can't cheat either. It's all about setting yourself up for success. Look up easy primal recipes and plan ahead, don't just wing it for the first few weeks to a month (whatever you need to get your head around it). Hopefully this will help.

tim3 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    followtim.wordpress.com

I'm blogging!