Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a HIT - style workout good for women who want to look toned, not buff? page

kimbobim is offline Junior Member

Question Is a HIT - style workout good for women who want to look toned, not buff?

Primal Fuel
    I have been researching the HIT style workouts and reading the forums about reviews on the different theories/books. I have been doing a basic, beginner's circuit at a gym with a combination of free weights and machines. While I enjoy the circuit, I really don't feel like it's giving me results quickly enough.
    If I learn to do something like BBS correctly, with the help of a trainer, will it make me too bulky? I'd really like to be strong, but not a body-builder.
    I am 46 years old and trying to beat the middle-age spread, and just getting into fitness because I was one of the lucky ones up until I turned 45. I just want to make my workouts worth it and saving time at the gym sounds like a great thing!
    Thanks for any advice you all may have for me.

kimbo you really don't have anything to worry about. Even if it were within your genetic potential to get huge muscles starting to train at 46 would make it doubtful that you would ever get huge. Unless you are naturally very muscular than you will never look like a bodybuilder however hard you train with resistance training.

All you will do is get the look that many call "toned", which is just development of the muscles. Nearly everyone that trains with resistance will simply look more athletic and better, not huge. And if you did begin to get large muscles then you can always just stop the traininig, and your muscles will slowly shrink back to the size they were.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    One or two 15-20 minute sprint sessions a week is a good idea. Women who also want to look toned and not buff should do the following:

- Squat
    - Deadlift
    - Benchpress
    - Chin-ups
    - Pull-ups

Women don't get buff. You simply do not make enough testosterone, IGF-1 and HGH to get buff unless you are a genetic freak, and if you were a genetic freak you would not be posing this question. Getting "toned" by lifting dumbbells and running is a myth, which is why you don't see any toned women doing those exercises. Women need to lift like buff men just to get toned.

Two articles you should DEFINITELY read:

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html

http://www.leangains.com/2008/12/rev...revisited.html
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-21-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What ChocoTaco said.
    Do not worry about getting bulky. It takes a lot to get bulky even when you are young and full of testosterone. The older we get the harder it is. Get a good strength routine, move slowly, sprint and play.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Check out the diet, supplement, and exercise routine for any woman bodybuilder (even the ones who are not using steroids) and you will realize that you are not going to do that by accident. The women I know who lift heavy look fantastic--they have muscles, but they're not bulky in any way.

Oh, and I hate the term "toned" because it's almost always used by trainers who think women will somehow sprout massive biceps if they use weights over 5 pounds. Also, please go read Krista Scott Dixon over at Stumptuous. She is awesome:

LIES in the gym :: stumptuous.com
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbobim View Post
    I have been researching the HIT style workouts and reading the forums about reviews on the different theories/books. I have been doing a basic, beginner's circuit at a gym with a combination of free weights and machines. While I enjoy the circuit, I really don't feel like it's giving me results quickly enough.
    If I learn to do something like BBS correctly, with the help of a trainer, will it make me too bulky? I'd really like to be strong, but not a body-builder.
    I am 46 years old and trying to beat the middle-age spread, and just getting into fitness because I was one of the lucky ones up until I turned 45. I just want to make my workouts worth it and saving time at the gym sounds like a great thing!
    Thanks for any advice you all may have for me.
    “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN »
    From CrossFit to SuperSlow / Body By Science

kml
    kml is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Check out the diet, supplement, and exercise routine for any woman bodybuilder (even the ones who are not using steroids) and you will realize that you are not going to do that by accident. The women I know who lift heavy look fantastic--they have muscles, but they're not bulky in any way.

Oh, and I hate the term "toned" because it's almost always used by trainers who think women will somehow sprout massive biceps if they use weights over 5 pounds. Also, please go read Krista Scott Dixon over at Stumptuous. She is awesome:

LIES in the gym :: stumptuous.com
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a lady with some attitude.

kimbobim is offline Junior Member
    I was so happy to see some replies so soon! Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice, I can't wait to try some new training!

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    One or two 15-20 minute sprint sessions a week is a good idea. Women who also want to look toned and not buff should do the following:

- Squat
    - Deadlift
    - Benchpress
    - Chin-ups
    - Pull-ups

Women don't get buff. You simply do not make enough testosterone, IGF-1 and HGH to get buff unless you are a genetic freak, and if you were a genetic freak you would not be posing this question. Getting "toned" by lifting dumbbells and running is a myth, which is why you don't see any toned women doing those exercises. Women need to lift like buff men just to get toned.

Two articles you should DEFINITELY read:

Fuckarounditis | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Reverse Pyramid Revisited | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    Well said! Finally an enlightened individual. Its amazing how many women avoid the weight room because they're afraid of getting "buff" or "bulky"

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast