Thread: How to stop grain cravings? page

jackson44 is offline Senior Member

How to stop grain cravings?

Any thoughts, tips, ideas woiuld be greatly appreciated!
    '
    thanks,
    J

Dice Monkey is offline Member
    How long have you been off the stuff? When I "went primal" I had bad carb craving for like the first two weeks and then it just stopped, like throwing a switch. I still get an occasional craving for a big bready meat ball sub or a pasta dish, but it's very short-lived.
    "I did it for money and for a woman. I didn't get the money, and I didn't get the woman"

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    At first, when your main goal is to get away from them, it's okay to eat copious amounts of primal food. I used almonds as a crutch at first. Lots of almonds. Then, later, I dialed that back to once a week. Also, don't feel obligated to go the ketogenic route. Sweet potatoes are wonderful and it's definitely easy to lose weight - for most people - while still including them in the menu. I went keto, and recommend it, but it's not for everyone.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing really well for about 8 weeks now. I think you just need to get yourself excited about the bacon, the skin on chicken, butter... the idea that in a couple weeks as Dice Monkey stated you are going to feel better. When I told my Dr. I was off the grains, she stated "Don't you feel so much better?" You really really will.

One thing that has helped me when the cravings hit, eat something fatty - fry an egg in butter. If your at work, get some turkey or ham, or hard boiled egg off the salad bar in the cafeteria. Sometimes, I know I shouldn't be hungry but the feeling hits, so I start with a glass of water. If that doesn't work, I find some fat. I think my brother (who got me doing this) once said he will eat a spoonful of Coconut Oil out of the jar. I've never had to go there, but whatever works. Also, if you feel like I've just got to have a grain (carb), get yourself a small banana and eat it with cheese or almond butter. Try to eat it slowly and enjoy.

Jennifer

I used to eat bread every day, but now I don't even think about it. Cravings just fade naturally once you stop eating the foods. Or have a cheat day once a week. It stops you thinking about it the rest of the time, as you know you can satisfy the craving once a week.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You know, I think all those years of eating grains (which I consumed in the form of pastries usually) was really me trying to stifle the cravings for cream and butter. Once I started eating full-fat creamy, buttery, cheesy stuff, I had no more use for pastries. Then I reliazed the desire for cheese was really a desire for beef. Now I'm happy. Beef.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    eat more fat. fatty meat, brisket, bacon, ribs, pork butt, almonds, avocados, eggs. Every time you crave eat some fatty foods. It'll go away in a week or two.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Stop eating them... when you see them think of some really yummy primal food you like and eat that instead

Experiment every week with your recipes. It will take time..but they will eventually disappiate (it took me 4 months) I thought it would never end.

If you cheat on grains regularly you may never get over your cravings. For newbs I recommend going 100% grain/sugar free for 30-45 days.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs