Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for a Type 2 Diabetic considering primal eating? page 2

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm a type 2 diabetic and have been for seven years. I took insulin five times a day while I was pregnant with my son but only take metformin now. I also have five known generations of diabetics in my family, so I grew up with it long before I had it. What type of insulin is he taking? At twice a day I'm thinking probably long acting. For me Primal dropped my after meal sugars pretty much right away and kept dropping over a couple of weeks. I did have problems with my late afternoon sugars getting uncomfortably low, but not dangerously low. I personally get migraines if my sugars are lowish for extended periods of time. I did have to take my carbs down at a controlled rate rather than cold turkey dropping to goal level. If he takes short acting insulin with meals then he probably already knows his insulin to carb ratios and can calculate accordingly on the dosage. So far the upped fat levels seem to have had no effect on my cholesterol, my last reading being 181. I also had fewer problems with side issues of diabetes, like athletes foot and other fungal crud within a week and a half of starting. I had fewer problems with blood sugar ping pong and was much less hungry. Exercise does as much to lower blood sugar as diet, even just getting out and having an after dinner stroll. Being as he has done this for twenty years he already knows this. I never have been able to eat carbs for breakfast-dawn effect, so I eat an omelet with cheese and veggies or cottage cheese or plain yogurt and my coffee or tea. I eat a big salad with cheese and nuts or meat or sometimes fish for lunch or have a stir fry without noodles or rice. For dinner I eat pretty normal except I don't eat potatoes or noodles or rice. I will eat sweet potatoes, squash or some other root vegie in place of the starch. The same goes for stews and soups. One of my kids' favorites is hamburgers or chopped chicken with grilled onions and a dash of Montreal steak seasoning.

The speed of blood sugar drop will depend on how many carbs he has been eating and how many he drops down too. I do 75-100g, the ADA diet wants me at 150. In general postprandial sugars drop fairly fast(in the space of a week or so) and he will need to keep a good eye on it. Basal blood sugar drops more slowly and he will be seeing a drop in about a week to week and a half, but it is more gradual and it inches its way down.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    I am also a type II diabetic, been one for about 13 years. I was also taking insulin, long acting once a day. After coming here and reading the Primal Blueprint and the correlation of insulin and weight gain and how it all works, I took myself off insulin and gave myself one year to try and get my health together.

My experience was very different than what other people have experienced. My fasting blood sugars shot way up, 350+ and have gradually started coming down. This morning, my sugars were 180. I know what is going to kill me, complications from diabetes, eventually, but it will be on my terms and hopefully 30 to 40 years from now. My physical life sucked, I did not want to live that way anymore so I decided to give it one more fighting try, but you and not going to be able to do it shooting up insulin on a daily basis. I have been off the insulin and Primal now for 8 months. I have lost over 70 lbs and I have about 70 more to go. In the last 3 months, I have incorporated a lot more working out in my daily life and the sugars are starting to move again in the right direction.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by appelsauce View Post
    Thanks @Paleobird for sharing your inspirational story!

I also think my dad should keep his doctors in the loop, I'm just worried about him opening himself up to a bunch of CW scaremongering, but I guess that just means I have to be extra persuasive!
    Just remember, doctors work for you, not the other way around. Inform them so that they can better assist you but don't ask their permission. Your body, your decisions. I wish your Dad the best.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    I was diagnosed type II a little over a year ago with fasting blood sugar of 125 and A1C of 7.7. Put on 500mg Metformin and sent to a dietitian where I got the standard ADA diet recommendations. Although I brought up low-carb and was told it was ok, but not sustainable. I experimented and got my A1C down to 6.1 by eating low carb, then I found Mark's site and went primal. In 3 months I dropped my A1C to 5.4 and fasting blood sugar is in the 90s. Since that time my blood lipids have improved, last A1C was 5.2 and I am much more insulin sensitive. It used to be when I would cheat, my fasting blood sugar would be in the 120s the next morning but now it does not move off 90, should I have some ice cream or other high carb cheat. I am doing strength training 3 times per week and lean gains IF and believe that is the main reason for the increased insulin sensitivity.
    Thanks, for this.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what type I am, really. I'm not overweight, but a glucose reading in my urinalysis for MEPS called me diabetic, so I'll go with that. So far, I'm not on anything (no insurance, but I'm looking to change that tune, soon). So far, since going Primal, my energy levels were much better than I really imagined. I'm not in a constant search for energy, like coffee.

FWIW, I really went strictly primal: No grains, or starches. Just heaping amount of vegetables, with eggs; and occasional fruit (banana, apple, or berries).
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

appelsauce is offline Junior Member
    Thank you, @Ingvildr and @TorMag!

@Ingvildr: I'm pretty sure his insulin is long-acting. He took it once a day for years and started twice a day maybe 5 years ago. This would mean he's not quite so aware of the carb count and it's relationship to insulin dosage. At least that's what I assume. He already restricts his carb intake, but not enough, IMHO, especially since he's still eating bread and pasta. But he's also restricting fat intake, which means he feels hungry and deprived all the time. He has often told me things like, "well, I guess I've gotten used to feeling hungry all the time." No wonder his energy levels are so low! Granted, he's in his late 70s, but I refuse to believe that age alone explains it. He's intrigued by the idea that strictly reducing carbs will help his diabetes, and I think he's just dying for permission to eat more satisfying meals and stop feeling hungry 24/7!
    Going slowly seems best. Plus, my parents are allergic to the idea of wasting food/money (children of the aftermath of the Great Depression), so even if they get on board with this, I'm sure they'll use up their pasta and rice stores anyway, just in smaller portions over more time.

@TorMag: Maybe your blood sugar levels went up from getting off the insulin, then started coming down due to dietary changes?

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Yes, my blood sugars going up was because I went off of insulin and they have been coming down because of dietary and exercise changes. I just want you to know, that Paleo/Primal is not a magic bullet for EVERY type II diabectic. It has taken a lot of hard work on my part and I am not out of the woods yet. You asked in your original post for true results from diabetics and I am giving you mine. I sure wish just being primal would have "cured" me of diabetes, but it has not. Maybe if I can lose another 70 lbs I will be free.....

appelsauce is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for sharing your experience, and good luck to you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12