Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nibbler's Diary page

Nibbler is offline Senior Member

Nibbler's Diary

I'm going to start a journal to help me stay on track. I was using Fitday but it's so tedious and all the values are wrong! I've been recording the odd day here and there on paper, but lately I have enjoyed reading other peoples food diaries for meal inspiration.

I'm 27 (28 in September) and just finishing my first year of a 4 year course studying Nutrition & Dietetics. Since I'm a student this is primal on a budget!
    I have IBS and have struggled occasionally with anxiety, both are managed well on an ancestral diet. I've been eating primally for the majority of the last year with a few WAPF related mistakes! I do occasionally eat crappy food, usually to avoid being a pain in the butt to someone who is trying to be kind and generous, but also because I enjoy it sometimes. Now that my partner has joined me in the primal lifestyle life is a lot easier.

All recipes are primal compatible, homemade from scratch unless otherwise specified. If you like the look of any of it I'd be honored to share my recipes, just ask.

I drink a lot of water and green tea, usually with coconut cream in the mornings. I'm not going to record these or I'd spend a lot of time typing... I'll just record any thing other than green tea and water.

I don't have any weights & dims at this moment but I'll weigh in and measure up in the next few days.

Yesterday:
    Breakfast
    2 x gluten free pork sausages
    2 x poached eggs
    Handful steamed spinach + butter
    Fried mushrooms (used lard)

Lunch
    Few slices cold roast beef
    Carrot & coriander salad
    Baby salad leaves + oil + balsamic
    Few cubes raw sheeps cheese
    Berries & dollop of organic greek yoghurt

Random 1 x small scoop choc icecream (!)

Dinner (out at a crappy restaurant with family - I was kinda stuffed!)
    Small steak + small roast chicken breast + few scampi + butter
    Mixed salad
    1 x sml glass rioja

Exercise: literally on my feet all day from 9.30 to 5.30 working in farm shop, walking & carrying & cleaning. Ate standing up when I passed my plate!
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-01-2012 at 04:24 AM.

Supposed to be revising this week... yawn.
    Breakfast:
    2x gluten free sausage
    2x poached egg
    Steamed spinach & butter
    Fermented ketchup

Lunch:
    2 x Smoked salmon & cream cheese roll-up thingies I made to use up the salmon
    Grilled smoked mackerel with watercress, olive oil + lemon juice
    Bowl of mixed berries (blueberries, rasps, strawbs) + dollop raw cream

Celery & almond butter

Dinner:
    Green chili made with pork, onions & peppers
    Romaine lettuce & spring onions
    Dollop of soured cream (no bloody yoghurt in Sainsbury's!)
    Local organic cider

Exercise: 2.5hrs gardening, off to try some sprints in a bit
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-23-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Last edited by Nibbler; 05-23-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Yesterday... (22.05)
    Breakfast:
    Stirfried onions, peppers & beansprouts in lard + 2 x GF sausages + 2 x poached eggs

Lunch:
    2 x slices ham wrapped around some manchego
    Seaweed snacks, about 5 strips
    Blueberries & strawberries + coconut cream + toasted coconut

Dinner:
    G&T (slimline tonic)
    Herby beef meatballs in tomato sauce with sauteed courgettes

Exercise was about at hour or so gardening, then 100 bodyweight squats, 40 pushups, 40 lunges and 20 tricep dips before I got distracted by a 'discussion' with my partner about his attempt at PB. He's been primal for about 2 weeks now with the odd mistake e.g. 2 x chocolate bars when competing on his trials bike and general overconsumption of beer (although I notice I have had alcohol every day this week so far!). Thing is, he just doesn't know what he is doing or why, because he won't educate himself by reading. I have never forced PB on him, and I have always offered him a non-primal meal option, but always explained why I was choosing veg over pasta etc everytime in the hope that he might pick some good habits. I was thrilled when he decided to try PB full time so I bought him Briffa's Waist Disposal (aimed at men) and when he said he didn't think he'd have time to read a whole book I went though the PB book and Post-It'd all the bits I thought would help him understand the why's and how's of an ancestral diet. Ignored. Now, he eats one meal a day, in the evening, identical to mine. OK, so he wants to lose weight, fine, but there is no way he can maintain muscle mass and good health like this. The calorie deficit is monstrous. I have tried to explain, kindly, that his commitment and willpower is awesome but that at this rate he is going to lose weight very fast and when he gets below a certain point he will lose muscle and retain fat, due to deficit in protein and fat intake, not to mention compromised immunity, micronutrient deficiency, hair loss etc. And he still does no exercise. This is not PB, it's some wacky idiot diet he thinks he can do for a bit then go back to grains, sweets and energy drinks. His response to my concern? Fuck it I'll just go back to pizza and burgers every day then, nothing I do makes you happy. So sad. I don't want to interfere and be controlling, I just want him to be healthy and for us to live a long happy life together.

Breakfast:
    Sweet potato latkes (1/2 of a smallish sweet potato, egg, coconut flour, cinnamon)
    2 x back bacon
    1 x fried egg all done in coconut oil

Snack:
    blueberries / strawbs / rasps + greek yoghurt

Lunch:
    Leftover meatballs + tomato sauce
    Seaweed
    1/2 pink grapefruit

Dinner:
    2 x lemon sole fillets pan fried with butter and capers
    Mixed salad
    Tomato & avocado salsa
    2 x dark choc squares

Saw my lumpy butt in the mirror. I remember that last time my cellulite looked much worse before it started to get better, but just in case I am going to cut the dairy... about to try some coconut cream in my green tea instead of raw milk in black. Wish coffee didn't make me dizzy

Exercise... naff all
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-24-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Breakfast:
    Smoked salmon + 1 poached egg
    2 leftover strawberries
    (I need to go shopping!!)

Lunch:
    2 x ham slices
    1 mug of chicken broth with herbs, coconut milk and lime

Dinner:
    2 x chick thigh + 2 x pork ribs with homemade primal BBQ sauce
    Mixed salad with EVO + balsamic
    Coconut pumpkin slice from civilised caveman website with coconut cream. Bloody awful recipe!

Exercise: bad attempt at sprints
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-30-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Breakfast:
    4 strips of streaky bacon
    2 scrambled eggs
    Heap of fried mushrooms (all cooked in lard/EVO/VCO)
    about 4 strawbs with coconut cream

Lunch:
    Sweet potato and courgette patty type things (using up leftover veg)
    1 small can of wild salmon + squeeze lime

Dinner:
    Spicy lamb burger
    Cucumber & mint salad
    Mixed salad
    Handful almonds + 2 sq dark choc
    1/2 small glass red wine
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-26-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Breakfast:
    3 egg omelette made with shallots, mushrooms, broccoli, green peppers, chipotle sauce and a small amount of manchego cheese. So much for cutting the dairy! I couldn't even taste it over the veggies. Silly.

Snack:
    4 strawbs with coconut cream and toasted coconut

Lunch:
    1 x pork shoulder steak fried in VCO + homemade primal BBQ sauce
    Heap of homemade coleslaw made with Mary Enig oil blend mayo (WAPF recipe, primal)

Dinner:
    Beef hash (minced beef, onion, carrot, celery + herbs - Jamie Oliver recipe)
    Steamed spring greens with butter
    Chocolate souffle! Erm, call it part of my 20%! Partner was just trying to be sweet. It had about 20g carbs and primal ingredients apart from the sugar. Meh.

Bought another, better speed skipping rope today to replace the other twiddly one that ran away sometime in the winter. While in the shop I saw a weighted hula hoop! I'd forgotten about these, I wanted one last year. Looks like a good toy to play with.
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-30-2012 at 05:53 AM.

I have decided that I DEFINITELY look better naked than clothed. I cannot prove it to you of course so you'll just have to take my word for it. Yesterday or the day before I took some clothed 1 year late 'before' pictures and spent a long time glaring at my huge wobbly backside. Today I got up in my panties and old floppy 80's style top which is a) threadbare and b) won't stay on both shoulders and I thought, actually, I look pretty good. From the front. Not so much from the side and back. Must be my boobs creating a distraction. Still, having to work on the side and back view isn't as bad as having to worry about the whole 360.
    Also, I definitely need to get back on the daily bone broth. Last year I got a massive batch of chicken feet and it made the best broth, stuff you could literally stand a spoon up in when it was chilled. Since then I've been fairly lacksidaisical and made stock maybe once a month to freeze and use in sauces until my slow cooker gave up. Will have to go back to the old hob method instead. If I want a smoother behind I definitely need more glycine!!

Breakfast:
    Leftover hash + 2 x poached eggs with butter
    Last strawberry in the punnnet (boo!)

I offered Chris some poached eggs but he said it's not the same without marmite toast. When I ate my hash and eggs I realised that what he is missing is the strong umami element that marmite gives, but the combination of very well cooked savoury meat and veg, with the creaminess of the eggs, enhanced by the additional butter that would have been on the toast is maybe an almost perfect primal substitute. I think steak and eggs would be a good substitute too, especially if the steak was seasoned with some GF worcester sauce.

Late lunch:
    Tin of mackerel in olive oil, drained (very nice, must buy more)
    Homemade coleslaw
    Celery stick with 1 tsp almond butter

Dinner:
    Duck sausages with apple, onions & red cabbage 'noodles' inspired by a recipe on Everydaypaleo.com
    Defrosted raspberries and mango (2:1) with coconut cream
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-28-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Breakfast:
    Streaky bacon x 4
    Poached egg x 1
    Banana nut pancakes: 1/2 banana, 1/3 cup almond meal, 1 egg, tsp baking powder, pinch salt, tbps butter + splash water. Better than all the other recipes I've seen!

No lunch; big breakfast, too busy

Snack: olives and bowl of raspberries and mango as before

Dinner:
    Heap of herby buttered roast chicken
    Spoon of herby roast sweet potato (EVOO)
    Steamed broccoli and spring greens

Seem to be having quite a carby day today... I am so exhausted from cramming and exams I'm just going to go with it since they are primal sugars & starches.
    I really want to kick the pudding habit though, I seem to have a conventional dessert every week and it's rarely worth it. However, now that I am eating more mindfully and not stuffing my face with cheese every day at the same it's probably not as bad as it was. I like my primal sweets so I just need to be a bit firmer with myself and everyone else! That said I am starting to miss cheese... I love my raw stinky squidgey cheese! And it's like the ultimate convenience food! Huff.
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-28-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast