Thread: Nibbler's Diary page 5

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Breakfast:
    2 x back bacon
    2 x scrambled eggs with coconut oil
    Cortido

Bowl of garden strawbs + half banana + coconut cream

Lunch:
    oxtail soupy stew: beef oxtail meat, oxtail broth, veg: onion, carrot, celery, mushroom, spring greens

Snack: pecans, 1 x medjool date

Dinner:
    Spicy lamb stirfy with peppers onion & pak choi
    2 x 90% choc sq + sml glass shiraz
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Breakfast:
    2 x back bacon
    2 x scrambled eggs with coconut oil
    3 x fried mushrooms
    1 x fried tomato
    Cortido

Lunchish work fuel: Sweet pot pancakes (1 sml sweet pot, 1 egg, baking powder, cinnamon, butter) with coconut cream

Snack: Handful macadamias

Dinner: Chicken thighs & chorizio with onion & red wine reduction + steamed spring greens & broccoli with butter
    Small glass cote du rhone (I know, Chris finished the Barossa shiraz)

No breakfast, too busy

Lunch: Leftover oxtail stew-soup
    3 scoops of Giggi's Gelato! Whoop whoop!

Snack: Handful macadamias. Couple of random strawberries from the garden

Dinner: Beef hash, sauteed jersey royals (in dripping + butter), steamed courgette
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-20-2012 at 03:10 PM.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Hey Nibbler,

Just stalking you again. What's Cortido? Also, I notice you use coconut milk a lot. I'm a bit scared of it as it's really high calories (and high fat and I know it's probably good for me) I was wondering if you find it sating? I have i t in smoothies and other things from time to time but I never feel it fills me up as much as the fat content in it might suggest. As a seasoned coconut milk expert just wondering what you think?

Spicy latin sauerkraut - lacto fermented. Google it!
    I use coconut cream more than coconut milk. Obviously anything high in fat is high in calories and sating. I don't eat it to be sated per se but as an ingredient which is a) dairy free and b) high in fat esp MCT. I can't answer your question really. I think you said it all when you say "I'm a bit scared of it as it's really high in calories". Either work on that or don't use it...
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-21-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Breakfast:
    Leftover beef hash + 2 x poached eggs with a little butter

Lunch:
    Big bowl of fresh raspberries and local fresh strawbs with coconut cream
    Oxtail broth with oxtail meat & veggies

Having a massive clearout at home. eBay, carboot etc. Trying to sort my life out over the summer so that when I go back to uni I don't have to wade through crap to find stuff or do my coursework. Also my father is *hopefully* coming to stay with me so I want to clear the spare room entirely so it feels like a guest room / study, not like my bedroom farted and a load of stuff flew out and landed in the spare room.

Dinner:
    Bargain salmon fillet (4 for a fiver!), panfried with pesto drizzle
    Roasted veggies: fennel, peppers & tomatoes. Massive heap.
    2 x 90% choc sq
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-22-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Hello there Nibbler
    Really enjoyed reading your journal. I'm also in the UK and also super delighted when I find reduced price food at sell-by date so I enjoyed the descriptions of your bargains (still vividly remember the time I got two dozen Waitrose free-range eggs for 49p/dozen! I nearly took a photo.)

Your food diary sounds amazing. I looked up cortido straight away and shall be trying that soon. I've made sauerkraut successfully (love red cabbage especially!) and also want to have a go making kimchi. This sounds like a cross between the two.

Anyway sounds like you're doing great, good luck with the tidying-up and I shall be watching your journal for more recipe inspiration.

Brunch:
    4 x chipolatas
    2 x fried eggs
    4 x fried mushrooms
    1 x tomatoes
    All done in beef dripping
    Fermented ketchup

Lunch:
    Bowl of rasps & strawbs with coconut cream + dessicated coconut. Ran out of time for meal.

Snack: Pork scratchings! Dark chocolate Bounty! This is what happens when you (sorry I) work my arse off doing hard physical work in a shop shifting crates of beer and wine and running up and down ladders while you attempt to fast with no actual food on hand. Fasting is not for me. The only time I will fast is when I am at home and am not hungry. I don't think that counts. Otherwise, I'm freaking hungry at meal times. I don't really care. I was starving and I probably burned it off. There's no way I've exceeded 150g carbs even with a choccy bar!

Dinner:
    Spanish(ish) chicken bake: skin on chicken thighs, sliced onions, chopped red pepper, minced garlic, chopped chorizo, olive oil, salt & pepper
    Steamed spring greens with butter
    Small glass Old Rosie scrumpy

Today I am making trotter bone broth with a pair of trotters I picked up from Petersfield market for 50p! Fantastic! It smells nice. Should make a nice thick gelatinous stock.
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-22-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Sounds like primal is going fairly well for you.

For a while, every breakfast I had stuff like grilled mushrooms, sardines, tomatoes, aged cheddar, etc. Craving for umami, I guess.

Thoughts on selling someone on primal, mostly gleaned from threads here.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Pineneedles!
    You're lucky being in London, you are close to sources of chicken heads, feet, pig trotters etc. If you ask for that sort of thing round here people ask if you are 'foreign'. I've had to go further up the supply chain! I generally find Waitrose to be surprisingly good value on the fresh meat counter, and if you eat cheese they have a good selection of raw milk cheeses.
    I have bought the ingredients for kimchi so many times and ended up eating them instead! I love kimchi. I must try again soon. I always have some kind of kraut on the go, I try to eat it most days. I also have some fermented ketchup which was a huge success, little things like that helped my partner convert.
    Have you tried kefir? I have some water grains and possibly some milk grains spare if you'd like them.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast