Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nibbler's Diary page 3

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No breakfast. Was waiting for SOMEONE to come home for brunch but they didn't turn up! Instead had jolly late lunch. Hmph.

Lunch (late!):
    2 x sausages
    2 x poached eggs
    1 x fried tomato
    heap of fried mushrooms (done in pork fat)
    handful steamed spinach
    fermented ketchup

And I should add several licks of pate and butter to that log becuase this morning I made the recently posted chicken liver pate! It's gorgeous! I am too much of a foodie to follow the provided recipe exactly so I subbed water for chicken broth and brandy, added thyme and loads of pepper, I also strained and reduced the cooking liquid to make a jelly to top the pate ramekins (only had enough for 2, others topped with butter) which is insanely tasty off the spoon. Hope it works out! I anticipate that there may be little flecks of too-firm onion in there... I would normally gently fry the onion first.
    Chicken stock will be ready at about 6pm... in the meantime I'm off to make some lacto fermented cortido. I have been eating sauerkraut for about 9 months and recently ran out, I've been too busy and consequently too tired to make any more (did I mention that up until 5 weeks ago I didn't have a day off for several months!). I love spicy latin flavours and I really liked the cortido I tried at the WAPF Nourishing Traditions event I went to in the spring. I'm also hoping to tempt my partner with it as he refused to try sauerkraut, but cortido is both visually and gustatorily more exciting. So thats broth, offal and fermented veg... this is a productive weekend.

I also picked up some Weight Watchers body comp scales today so I can track my progress more accurately. The body fat and water readings are probably based on some wacky algorithm but it's better than nothing.
    This week's measurements:
    Weight: 56kg (height is 5'6")
    Bust: 88cm / Upper arm: 26cm / Waist: 63cm / Hip: 97cm / Thigh circ: 53.5
    Body fat: 20%

Snack: 2 x bite size chorizo

Dinner:
    Roast duck with cherry sauce
    Steamed asparagus & broccoli
    Roast herby sweet potatoes
    2 x dark choc sq
    1 x large glass red wine
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-03-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Breakfast:
    1 x peach + handful blueberries with coconut milk + toasted coconut

Snack: handful pecans

Lunch:
    2 slices proper ham
    Big handful raw spinach with olive oil & balsamic vinegar
    Celery stick
    1/2 raw carrot
    Chicken liver pate

Small glass coconut water

Sausage, cabbage, onion and apple stirfry (olive oil + butter)
    1 sq dark choc
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-03-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Brunch:
    Streaky bacon x 4
    2 x scrambled eggs with coconut oil
    1 x fried tomato
    Handful steamed spinach

3 x fresh apricots + few strawberries + coconut milk

Snack: 4 x sunflower & sesame crackers with chicken liver pate
    1 x medjool date

Dinner @ The Mayfly in Testcombe:
    Salmon & monkfish terrine
    Cod wrapped in pancetta with asparagus & cream sauce
    Malteser cheesecake!
    1/2 pint summer ale
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-04-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Breakfast:
    2 x unsmoked back bacon
    handful spinach stirfried in bacon pan

Snack / lunch:
    2 strawbs, half peach + handful blueberries with coconut milk + toasted coconut
    handful hazelnuts + 1 x dark choc square

Dinner:
    Sirloin steak
    Prawns in chipotle butter
    Stir fried courgettes with garlic
    Avocado
    Mixed salad

Large glass Sauvignon Blanc
    Cup chicken broth
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-06-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Breakfast:
    2 x sausages
    1 x fried egg
    3 fried mushrooms
    Handful wilted spinach
    Fermented ketchup

Lunch:
    Can of mackerel in olive oil with lemon juice

Dinner:
    2 x piri-piri chicken thighs
    Half small sweet pot, wedges
    Guacamole
    Mixed salad
    2 x 90% dark choc sq (finally found it!)

Cup of chicken broth
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-06-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Breakfast:
    2 x unsmoked back rashers
    3 x fried mushrooms
    Giant handful spinach, wilted
    2 x scrambled eggs
    (Used pork fat and coconut oil)
    Fermented ketchup

Second batch of chicken broth is nearly finished, asian style this time with garlic, ginger, galangal, star anise and szechuan pepper. Also now brewing coconut kefir!

Lunch:
    4 x sesame & sunflower crackers with chicken liver pate

Later:
    1 x slice ham
    1 x mejool date
    Handful hazelnuts
    1 x 90% cocoa choc sq
    1 x peach with coconut milk

Dinner:
    Beef hash (mince + veg)
    Steamed courgette & spinach
    Small glass Sauvignon Blanc
    Small bowl strawbs + coconut cream

I am HUNGRY today. I had what felt like menstrual cramps all morning and then I was just ravenous all afternoon. Don't think I've really done any damage though... nothing like the chips & dips and desserts and cake I would once have eaten when I had a typical teenage metabolism, which later in life turned to rice cakes, oat cakes and low fat cheese and yoghurt and mountains of dried fruit.
    I notice that my palate is changing; previously 90% cocoa chocolate was just toooo dark for me and all I could taste was bitterness, but now the flavour and texture is astonishing to me, the rich coffee, hazelnut and fruity aromas are delicious. I think I'll stick to Lindt Excellence 90% since my local supermarket are permanently stocking it. Very pleased to see that the greatest proportion of ingredient is cocoa mass, not sugar. I just need to find some 99% somewhere now!
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-07-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Breakfast:
    Banana nut pancakes (these do not taste nice when burned or made with salted butter. Grrr.)
    2 x unsmoked back bacon
    1 x fried egg in coconut oil

C'mon coconut kefir! Now that the stockpot is silent waiting for another batch and the house is cold since it is pissing it down with rain everyday... I have moved in to the oven and left the light bulb on. Might work. Might not. Tastes a little bit tangy today but not fizzy or any thicker.

Snack:
    Smoked salmon & cream cheese parcel (Chris bought it)
    Small glass coconut water
    Kabanos

Coconut kefir has suddenly fluffed up in warm oven. Fizzy and sour. Just tastes like yoghurt, very tasty. I've started a fresh batch.

Dinner:
    Porky green chilli (Jamie O recipe) with coconut kefir dressing & romaine lettuce boats. Normally we have yoghurt but since I already ate dairy that I didn't particularly want I decided to substitute. Works just fine! No need to miss yoghurt now.
    Raspberries & blueberries with coconut kefir
    Small glass sauvignon blanc (that's the end of that bottle now)
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-08-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Breakfast:
    4 x smoked streaky rashers
    3 x fried mushrooms
    Fermented ketchup
    1 x peach + handful blueberries with coconut kefir

Lunch:
    Chicken broth with veggies & coconut cream
    3 x sunflower and sesame crackers with lots of chicken liver pate
    Handful hazelnuts + 1 sq 90% choc

Dinner:
    Pan fried wild Keta salmon fillet (inc skin) with caper and lemon butter
    Steamed broccoli, carrot and courgette
    'Dessert' was a tsp of creamed coconut aka coconut butter from the fridge to take the edge off my sweet craving. Kind of worked.

The second batch of coconut milk kefir is ready, those grains LOVE being in the oven with the light on! I'll put them into organic milk to rest now as I have enough to keep me going for a couple of days.
    I did something really stupid today; my water kefir grains arrived (I want to make coconut water kefir - I love coconut water but it's too carby) and I managed to scald them. Well maybe. I wanted to rinse them before I put them in my coconut water and I was planning on using the filtered boiled water left over from my morning cup of tea, made hours ago, so the water should have been tepid. But I didn't check. Chris had recently made a cup of coffee and I didn't notice the steam until it was too late. I say maybe scalded because it wasn't hot enough to burn me but definitely too hot for travelling kefir I think! I put the grains straight into some open chilled coconut water and then in the back of the fridge... kind of what you might do with a tiny burns victim... maybe they will be OK. I sniffed the water this evening and it smells ever so slightly sour and the grains don't look damaged. There's a lot in a small glass of coconut water so even though they are cold I should be able to tell if anything is happening soon. I think I'll give them another day in the fridge to recover and then bring them up to room temperature.
    The cortido is bubbling happily on top of the fridge and has yielded a lot of juice this time, so I didn't need to weigh it down with a baggy of water. It should be ready tomorrow (well it's never really ready because I like my krauts really ripe). I made it without whey this time, just 2 tbsp of sea salt, and I split the recipe into 2 batches which I pounded separately. Clearly this is the route to success.
    I have decided that as soon as my last exam is out of the way I am going to kick my butt into shape for my holiday. I have bought the Callenentics Evolution DVD as I have seen callanetics recommended for pear-shapes on MDA forum and Paleo Hacks (maybe it's the same person?) so I will add it in as my 'play' element.

Late night revision snacks:
    1 slice ham
    1 sq 90% choc
    1 medjool date
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-09-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Breakfast:
    2 x sausages
    Cortido

Lunch:
    Turkey breast with skin
    Steamed carrots, french beans & cauliflower with butter & pepper

Snacks: Peach (when will it end?! bottomless friggin punnet!) + coconut kefir
    Hazelnuts
    2 x 90% choc sq

Dinner: Nepalese curries - lamb, chicken + prawn in various sauces. No rice or sides

PrimalCon New York
    Breakfast = primal eggs and soldiers!
    4 x smoked streaky bacon, crisp
    2 x soft boiled eggs
    Due to exhaustion I am back on the black tea with organic milk (only 2 in 2 days). Had one last night and one this morning and It's helping my get through molecular biology. I don't think it's going to trip me up too badly. I'm sure green tea doesn't have a lot less caffeine but it's not helping at all.

Lunch:
    Chicken liver pate with sunflower & sesame crackers
    Cortido

Snack: 2 x large sheets roasted nori
    1 x small cox apple with almond butter

Dinner:
    Homemade bolognese with sauteed courgettes and a little raw parmesan + 1/2 small glass red wine. Not my family bolognese recipe, which is the best I have ever tasted (and authentic to boot i.e. recognisable to a bolognese person), but an anglicised version made with what we had in the fridge. This is also a 'quick' version which you don't have to simmer low and slow:

1 onion
    2 sticks celery
    1 carrot
    Fat clove garlic
    ---
    500g beef mince
    2-4 slices streaky bacon, or equivalent pancetta / lardons
    ---
    1 small glass wine, red or white
    1tbsp tomato puree
    400g can/box chopped tomatoes in juice
    300ml (ish) proper stock, enough to cover the whole mixture, I used chicken
    Dried oregano & thyme
    Grated nutmeg
    Sea salt & black pepper
    ---
    Butter and or lard / dripping
    Oliver oil

Method:
    Blast onion, celery & carrot in food processor until relatively finely and uniformly chopped. Finely chop bacon. Saute together gently in butter and lard or dripping, enough to moisten the mixture. Cook for about 10 mins, after 5 mins add the (minced) garlic and cover to retain moisture. Set aside on a plate.
    Brown mince in same empty pan, using olive oil if lubrication is required, breaking up all lumps Add dried herbs, salt & pepper, tom puree & wine, simmer over med/high heat until wine mostly reduced.
    Add chopped toms & stock then turn the heat down and leave to simmer until rich and thickened to required consistency. Grate over a little nutmeg to taste. Finish with a little cream and parmesan if you like.

Serve with veg... courgettes or cabbage is nice.
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-12-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast