Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nibbler's Diary page 2

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Breakfast:
    2 x gf sausages (I'm just going to stop putting gf now everyone knows I don't eat nasty sausages) - baked with the roast chicken last night for convenience
    1 x poached egg
    large tomato + mushrooms fried, VCO + butter

Gardening fuel: virgin primal pina colada! 1/4 fresh pineapple, 1/3 banana, 1/3 can coconut milk, ice. Thought about adding rum... resisted. Don't want to get shit faced in the sun and damage my tomato and courgette plants while repotting.

Lunch:
    left over roast chicken with roasting juices
    crudites while I study

Dinner:
    Ribeye steak & asparagus with garlic butter
    Mixed salad + carrot salad with homemade mayo
    Small G&T
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-30-2012 at 12:23 AM.

Breakfast:
    2 x sausages
    2 x poached eggs with butter
    1 x large tomato + 3 mushrooms fried in olive oil and pork fat

I see a reduction in cellulite this morning! I would say that since cutting out dairy (mostly) I have seen about a 20% decrease, even though I am drinking alcohol and eating fruit. Need to cut back on the alcohol still. I don't know why but I seem to go through phases, and at the moment the sun is shining and I want to potter about with a nice glass of something. Need to stock up on the San Pellegrino I think. I must go to the chemist and weigh myself today so I can montior weight loss / body comp. My measurements haven't changed though. Strange. Maybe I am replacing fat with muscle? Not really trying very hard due to exams. Oh, the mysteries of the primal woman.

Snack:
    Blueberries and leftover pineapple with coconut milk

Apparently my self esteem is painfully fragile. I've been wearing some very short white cotton shorts today with a coral tshirt. I thought I looked nice, I was surprised that my shorts felt looser and I didn't look too wide in them, even though they are paler than my top. I made the fatal mistake of telling my partner I thought they looked good. He said 'turn round' and after a minute I did saying my arse is probably a bit fat and he said 'yes, you do have junk in your trunk'. I know this is funny. I know that he didn't intend to stamp on my self esteem but I just can't hold back the tears. Apparently if someone doesn't tell me I look wonderful I have a break down! What is my problem? I had to get changed. I feel like skipping dinner. This is quite irrational. What's really getting to me is that I don't think I will ever be able to deal with the fact that I have this body, this shape, I don't know if I will ever be able to be happy with what I've got. I thought I was over this. Obviously not.

Handful pecans + 1 x sq dark choc

Dinner:
    1/2 meatza with veg and cheese topping
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-31-2012 at 09:23 AM.

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    You eat really interesting breakfasts! Cracked me up when I read you trying to encourage partner to read the book with post-it notes in it. I keep pointing out passages in TPB which I think might interest him and then leave the book open...but he jsut grabs his chocolate biscuits and looks through me.

How is your IBS? I can't work mine out. It's definitely vastly improved since going primal, but certainly still there. I've had it tonight and had nothin non-primal. I sometimes get it when I eat too much, wondering if you do too?

Anyway, thought I'd have a look at your journal as I liked your name. Sounds as though you're doing really well.

Hi Dexy! Do you think so? I get a bit bored sometimes and try to make interesting things out of bits lurking in the fridge. I like to have a substantial breakfast otherwise I can't concentrate.
    Ah, chocolate biscuits. Because you can't drink coffee without a biscuit, can you. Or can you. Yes... you can, try it. My boyfriend's much better now, more hardcore than me! He refused sweet potato the other night! He couldn't really tell you why though. There's probably a fortnight's worth of Maccy D's breakfast packaging in his car though... I kid. Sort of.

My IBS is... odd. When I was first diagnosed it was on a hair-trigger response to my emotions. I was quite unstable emotionally and any kind of stress or upset had me breaking out into a hot and cold sweat, excrutiating, crippling cramps and running, sorry sprinting, to the loo. I also used to get rashes. I had it under control for years eating a 'whole foods' (read whole grains, high sugar, low fat) diet eating LOTS of soy. Except eventually I developed constipation and piles (sorry). When I started eating primally I realised how flatulent I had been! Talk about unladylike! So funny, that was a nice surprise. But initially I couldn't get my primal diet right and my constipation persisted to the point of daily pain and tissue damage. I wasn't eating enough fruit and veg or drinking ANYWHERE near as much water as I should (I blame Mark for this!) but now I know better. I took a break from true PB and became more WAPF orientated, still getting lots of fat and protein but subbing in 'properly prepared' grains while keeping carbs at c.150g a day or less. I didn't feel toooo bad, but they really stuck to me, I put some weight back on and generally felt less vibrant. I also ate raw dairy. These changes helped at first, but then I actually got impacted, which is horrific, I'm sure for anyone, but for a young woman it is mortifying I can tell you. I then converted back to true PB, cut the milk entirely and regular dairy intake and don't eat any grains at all, not once in the last month. It's cleared up. The pregnanty bloating has gone and I can 'go' in peace. I have to say that I have adopted the squatting position (just lay the laundry basket in it's side and prop my feet up!) and don't wait for anyone. I go when I gotta! I haven't noticed any symptoms when I eat too much, but I can sometimes still get cramps and rush to the loo if I am very upset, but that doesn't happen very much these days. I'm much happier in every way.
    How long have you been primal? Maybe your body is still getting used to it. Do you keep a food diary? If you did and rated your IBS alongside each day I think you'd soon flag up any triggers such as particular foods / food combinations / preparation techinques and emotions. You might have a sensitivity you were unaware of which was masked by symptoms caused by your old diet. Just some ideas, might not be anything in them.
    Last edited by Nibbler; 05-30-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Breakfast:
    2 x leftover cold sausages
    Heap of left over pizza topping veg (red onion, green pepper, mushroom) stir fried in coconut oil
    Blueberries with toasted coconut and coconut milk

Late lunch:
    2 x poached eggs and butter on a heap of smoked salmon

Today's shopping bargains include: a 1.1kg duck crown for 3.00 (short date), 4l of San Pellegrino for 2.56 (someone broke open the pack; would have cost 4.04 individually), 1l coconut water for 2.99 instead of 3.49, my favourite sausages on offer for 2 instead of 2.58+, Chaokoh coconut milk for 1.29 - mainstream brands of coconut milk tend to cost about 2 and have lots of additives (some of which are OK - even ascorbic acid has an e-number assigned to it) but this one is just coconut, water and citric acid.

Handful of pecans, few antipasti in olive oil... No dinner, couldn't be bothered. Poured a glass of wine then realised I wanted to cut back a bit so poured it back in and Vac-u-vin'ed it. Maybe tomorrow with some venison.
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-01-2012 at 02:57 AM.

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Hi Nibbler,

I was triggered by your name and because you state you have anxiety problems: 2 things (the constant nibbling & anxiety) that we both try to fix! I tried your banana nut pancake recipe and it tastes sooo good! I made 2 pancakes, storing one for work and hope to report back if it tastes good when cold. Good luck and keep it up!

Greetings from Brussels

Hi halfbunny in Brussels!
    Thanks for your message. I have suffered with anxiety in the past but that it is well managed on an ancestral diet, and also my lifestyle and personal life is completely different in many ways which is a big factor in the positive change. I am in exam season and I have found my self esteem to be quite low (linked to self doubt I expect) but I don't feel out of control or worthless like I used to. I do not constantly nibble anymore as you can see from my diary! I used to graze when I was eating the conventional wholefoods diet because I thought it was healthy and also a) I didn't get enough fat so I was never satisfied and b) all the grains kept spiking my blood sugar so I kept crashing. When I first became primal (spring '11) I used to snack a lot but slowly the snacks came home uneaten and now I only snack once or twice a day but not always.
    I'm really pleased you like the pancakes. I normally make them with just almond meal and sweeten with maple syrup but I much prefer my new recipe, and I don't add / need any additional sweetener at all. You could easily use coconut oil and ghee instead of butter too. I would have added cinnamon but I'd run out, so next time they will taste even better! N.B. some people say to use sparkling water in the mixture but actually I have found that it makes no discernible difference. Other banana pancake recipes I have seen call for almond butter, but to be honest that makes the pancakes very expensive and I am on a budget!
    x
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-01-2012 at 03:22 AM.

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND LISTEN TO THIS!! I just got 3kg free range chicken feet for 2!! WTF? Get in!!!!!!!!
    So... I'm going to make some brunch and get my stock on (and do a little chickeny stock dance at the same time bwaaaark buck buck buck!)

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Hi Nibbler,

Interesting you say yours is stress triggered, mine defintely is. I've been primal about 6 months now and have had chronic IBS for as long as I remember. Regular gastro appointments, piles, flatulence like yours (maybe worse!) and chronic contipation. I took a very expensive fibre supplement every day for the last 7 years, I stopped once I went primal and have never needed it since. I have no problems in the poo department any more....amazing. That alone is reason enough to be primal. I was told I would need the fibre every day as my body wouldn't cop without it. I was stuffed full of whole grains and fruits and dried fruit and beans. And all I needed all along was no grains and some fat.

My IBS terrible this week and I am reacting to a coupld of things, don't know what. Tomatos have been out of season here for a few weeks and started eating them yesterday and today - terrible pains. But also could be mushrooms, maybe tamari, tangerines. I don't want to have to do an elimination diet to find out. I also have bad candida so it could be that flaring up too. I have headaches in the evening and I never get headaches. I wonder what it is. I do keep a food diary but my diet is so varied it could be a number of things and it's hard to see a clear picture.

I hope you enjoy your cheap chicken. I scored a short dated leg of lamb a couple of weeks ago and was delighted.

Brunch (@ 12.00):
    Banana nut pancakes (this time with coconut oil) - chucked it into fit day - cals: 413 / fat: 35.5 / carbs: 11.5 / prot: 14.3
    1 x fried egg
    4 x streaky bacon
    Small bowl of blueberries

Dinner:
    Venison (freezer bargain of course) with chestnut & porchini mushrooms & red wine jus
    Steamed spring greens and broccoli with butter

1 sq dark choc
    1 large glass red wine
    Last edited by Nibbler; 06-01-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast