Thread: Sugar Addicts - READ THIS! page

AlexistheAquarian is offline Junior Member

Sugar Addicts - READ THIS!

Primal Fuel
    Hi Forum, I've read many many posts on here from people who are struggling with their sugar addictions: i.e. still wanting that hit of sweet, even though they're full, even though they're getting the right amounts of fat & protein. Don't beat yourself up about "not being able to stick to the plan" - it's probably your sugar sensitivity that's holding you back and sabotaging your weight/health efforts"!

Although Primal Blueprint is clearly an excellent book, I don't think it really covers in detail the sugar addict's plight, both emotionally and physically, when it comes to switching (and sticking!) to a low-carb lifestyle.

Just thought I'd share with you a book that I've found while researching. It's called "Potatoes not Prozac" by Kathleen DesMaisons. DesMaisons explains how certain food-dependant chemicals in the brain regulate our moods. To maintain mental and physical health, those chemicals need to be kept in balance. There are 7 steps to follow (in your own time and at your own pace) and they include eating protein at every meal, journalling what you eat and how you feel, and gradually eliminating the sugars (and addictive behaviours) from your diet and also, from your life.

I've found this book an invaluable support in helping me both understand, and learn to control my cravings and behaviour around food. Sure, there are parts of it which aren't Primal (including her advocation of eating whole grains and a potato before bed), but in time, I hope to attain a truly Primal "diet" whilst following her steps and advice.

Hope it helps someone else out there, like it has done me...

nikatoah is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for this post! I will be sure to check out this book, though I'm not sure if I'm a sugar "addict" I am still consuming more than I would like to--somewhere between 15-25 grams a day. I would ideally like to get it down to 5g or less, but I just looove my coconut coffee creamer too damn much! 1 tbl has 4g and I use 3 tbl!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The best thing about this book was that when I started reading it, I realized that I was not a sugar addict any more. It came as a huge surprise to me. I could relapse, of course, but for now, I do not carve sweets, feel too lazy to make them, can just have a lick to try something without devouring the whole spoon, then a cup, then a bowl.... Keeping fingers crossed it lasts for a while! The only episode in the last month was stress-related, and even then I didn't feel I was serious about it (choclate bar? Meh. Pastry? It won't be fresh anyway, and too sweet, and stuff.). I give root vegetables and 5-HTP a lot of credit, because I do not experience an emotional salivation any more and euphoria when thinking about sweets. I think it was very much serotonin problem in my case.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

WindhorseWarrior is offline Junior Member
    Hi Alexis,
    YES! This book was a life-saver for me too. What a comfort to know why I have eaten and behaved the way I have for so long now. With health problems rearing their ugly heads, I decided to go off sugar a few months ago and have just recently started on my Paleo journey. How long have you been on the sugar sensitivity diet? Do you still eat the potato before bed? That's the part I'm wondering about. Will we ever be able to go without the potato at night and therefore be fully Paleo? I take 5-HTP and either a potato at bedtime or some brown rice, and yes, it does seem to help my mood so much. But I am still having problems with blood sugar fluctuations, it seems, despite having plenty of protein. Maybe my body just needs more time to make the adjustments? But yes, this is a great book, tho' I would like to hear Mark's opinion of it and how he would tweak it. The best of luck to you on your journey to recovery from sugar addiction! I know anybody can do it if I can. I could chow down mounds of sugar with the best of them (former favorite food: wedding cake with TONS of frosting and anybody's else's frosting they had scraped off their cake!!) Be well, be happy!

Annana is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the recommendation, I have just ordered it! I have really been struggling with sugar since becoming primal, and no matter how much I try, I never manage to succeed; mainly due to the feeling that I'm depriving myself. So hopefully this book will help me out.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for the recommendation. I'll add it to my list!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Why potato exactly? There are so many starchy plant organs you could have. Sweet potato, African yam, celery root, rutabaga, beets, carrots, pumpkin, winter squash...
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3