Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Fasting - How Much is Too Much? page 3

pumpkinslayer is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    On the Nutrition page is a thread titled, 'Planning a fast - anyone interested' started by Nady back in March. There are a lot of people's experiences there, and you might find it interesting. Nady did a 10 day fast to clear up her ezcema (not sure how to spell that). I glommed onto the thread for the fast I am currently engaged in.

I alternate regular water and lemon juice/salt water(8 cups of water with the juice of one lemon, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 packet of stevia) and have one bottle of Pellegrino(about 3 cups) as a treat, with a total of about 16 glasses per day. My usual amount of water when I am not fasting is 8-10 glasses a day.
    Thanks, I'm so chuffed with the initial lost weight, but I've still got some way to go. I'll definitely try your drink recipe the next time around. I'm back to one small meal a day now. I had two eggs for breakfast this morning, but that's it for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by CleoCat View Post
    I find that interesting. Don't you feel nauseated taking the vitamins on an empty stomach?

Good going on the lost weight. Personally, I have always been a twice a day eater but today is my sixth day of one meal a day experiment. My appetite is completely under control for the first time since I can remember and I still have tons of energy.
    No, taking the vitamins was fine.

Good going on the one meal a day. It's quite amazing what our bodies can do, and how we've been trained (by common thinking) to think they're so useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Just saw this~ as Sabine said, I once did a longer fast to heal my eczema. Everything I had read about fasting indicated that 'natural hunger' will return when the body is done housecleaning. At 10 days I got hungry and broke the fast.

Another thing to remember~ you won't lose fat evenly on your body~ but once you start eating again, the remaining fat will redistribute. I suggest giving it a month or two of primal eating (maybe IF) and starting your workout schedule and see where things end up. You can always fine tune with another short fast.

To success!
    So the hunger did return for you. That's a good sign. I was feeling a little more hungry on the 7th and 8th days.

Fat redistribution. That's interesting. So I'm curious.

Where does the fat first come off, and where does it redistribute from and to?

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinslayer View Post

Where does the fat first come off, and where does it redistribute from and to?
    I think genetics plays a part, but every time I've lost weight, my measurements changed over the following months after my weight had stabilized. Thing like my face regained some fullness, waist got smaller~ just got more evenly distributed.. Exercise helps~

Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I think genetics plays a part, but every time I've lost weight, my measurements changed over the following months after my weight had stabilized. Thing like my face regained some fullness, waist got smaller~ just got more evenly distributed.. Exercise helps~
    That's quite likely why people were concerned I was getting thin. It was just about my face.

I don't notice the changes on my face, just my stomach, legs and arms, but others notice my face.

Guess my body will just have to sort itself out then.

I've added my logs to the original post.

I'll keep them updated as things progress.

As I post this, tomorrow will be day 9, but I've filled in day 10 already to show the plan.

As I feel fantastic, I'll simply be taking a nice Primal (ie meat and veggies) break, do some strength stuff tomorrow, and then jump back into it.

The feeling of almost seeing my abs for the first time in my life is incredible. Just the general definition I'm starting to see is great. There's still plenty of flab left, so I'll jump back in for another round.

BurtsDog is offline Junior Member
    In my experience, there is no way to rid your body of all fat unless you go on an extended zero carb diet (or very near to zero - like well under 20 grams). Of course you still have to watch your overall daily calories. You can't just eat all the chicken with skin you want. But if you stick to a very high protein, moderate fat, and zero carb diet... you WILL get ripped. In all my years of working in the fitness industry I only met one person what got ripped on a high carb diet. His metabolism was a freak or nature and an exception to the rule. When I say 'ripped' I'm not talking about gross looking dudes with veins popping out of their foreheads. I'm just talking about being able to see all of your ab muscles again.
    Last edited by BurtsDog; 06-06-2013 at 03:02 AM.

walkerku is offline Junior Member
    Am I the only one who thinks this is extreme and dangerous?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerku View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this is extreme and dangerous?
    Danger was Grok's middle name.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    This seems extreme to me, but I started Primal already in the healthy BMI range, not medically considered overweight. A weeklong fast would probably really take it's toll on me, as I don't have much fat to lose. I do play around with IF though, and strict myself down to one meal a day, but the 24-hour fast is really about all I can handle--I'm so hungry by dinner time.

This is an intriguing thread, though. I will follow it. Already got some great ideas for my next IF week (I'll do a week or so per month, while I'm trying to get down to my pre-sitting-at-a-desk-40-hours-a-week weight). One thing I am really crappy at is drinking water while I'm fasting. I should go do that now.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast