Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Extreme Fasting - How Much is Too Much? page 2

pumpkinslayer is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveWeirdo View Post
    I personally haven't fasted for longer than 36 hours, I usually just skip breakfast most days. I couldn't really comment on what drinks/supplements you might need. But I don't think there's anything wrong with longer fasts, as long as you do it mindfully.

Try to think objectively when judging how you feel and and keep a journal of the experience. Keep good primal foods ready just in case, so when you do break fast it won't be from one extreme to the other.

Make sure you are not retreating into a fasting lifestyle that is at odds with your everyday life though. It may be more practical to do shorter fasts and re-feeding periods to make sure you can cope with work/family commitments.

Most importantly, don't make a goal of a certain number of days. You might end up pushing yourself further than you should go. Simply start with the intention of a few days, then take each day as it comes.
    Thanks CaveWeirdo.

This was mostly an experiment. My first fast of 62 hours really started me thinking about the whole fasting process.

Luckily, a lot of my work was cancelled in the last week, so it's been a fairly easy time. But then again, I don't live a fast-paced life in any way, shape or form.

I am breaking fast in a completely Primal fashion.

Actually, today I broke fast after 8 days completed. One egg, one cucumber and 400ml of milk. The milk is supposed to be good when coming off a long fast as mentioned here: Refeeding syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers for the comments.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Let us know some results as you progress as far as the amount of fat loss and progress pictures. This is interesting.

pumpkinslayer is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Let us know some results as you progress as far as the amount of fat loss and progress pictures. This is interesting.
    No pictures at the moment John (okay, I better do some).

After 8 days, I've lost 5kg. From 83kg (after 3 months of primal) down to 78kg. I'm now easing into a semi-fast.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    On the Nutrition page is a thread titled, 'Planning a fast - anyone interested' started by Nady back in March. There are a lot of people's experiences there, and you might find it interesting. Nady did a 10 day fast to clear up her ezcema (not sure how to spell that). I glommed onto the thread for the fast I am currently engaged in.

I alternate regular water and lemon juice/salt water(8 cups of water with the juice of one lemon, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 packet of stevia) and have one bottle of Pellegrino(about 3 cups) as a treat, with a total of about 16 glasses per day. My usual amount of water when I am not fasting is 8-10 glasses a day.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Why not try the Bulletproof Fat Loss protocol- you get to eat some butter every day but rest of the time it's just supps and agua.
    Bulletproof Fasting: The Rapid Fat Loss Protocol | The Bulletproof Executive

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinslayer View Post
    I am taking a multi-vitamin and vitamin c.
    I find that interesting. Don't you feel nauseated taking the vitamins on an empty stomach?

Good going on the lost weight. Personally, I have always been a twice a day eater but today is my sixth day of one meal a day experiment. My appetite is completely under control for the first time since I can remember and I still have tons of energy.
    Last edited by Graycat; 05-21-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Just saw this~ as Sabine said, I once did a longer fast to heal my eczema. Everything I had read about fasting indicated that 'natural hunger' will return when the body is done housecleaning. At 10 days I got hungry and broke the fast.

Another thing to remember~ you won't lose fat evenly on your body~ but once you start eating again, the remaining fat will redistribute. I suggest giving it a month or two of primal eating (maybe IF) and starting your workout schedule and see where things end up. You can always fine tune with another short fast.

To success!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Just saw this~ as Sabine said, I once did a longer fast to heal my eczema. Everything I had read about fasting indicated that 'natural hunger' will return when the body is done housecleaning. At 10 days I got hungry and broke the fast.
    Fascinating. Did the eczema go away?

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Yes~ and I discovered mine is triggered by grains. Guess I ended up primal by default!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Yes~ and I discovered mine is triggered by grains. Guess I ended up primal by default!
    Cool. I've found brown rice and sorghum definitely causes psoriasis for me; other sources possible, but those for sure. It takes about 10 days for my body to clear it out. I do 24-30 hour fasts, but nothing in the order of multiple days. But the multi day fast probably clears out any potential cancer cells, too. Are bowel movements normal after multiple days of no food ingestion?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast