Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crossfit - How Often? page 3

patski is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yup. I ate an incredible amount of food yesterday after my WOD and for the rest of the day too.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    One of the reasons I love Crossfit is that I can eat lots of (paleo) foods. I tend to eat quite a lot after a WOD but then less the following day, which seems to be working for me.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Alessandra is offline Senior Member
    So, how is Crossfit working out for you? The kid and I are going to start some on ramp classes next month at our gym. I'm excited to get started!
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

mark2741 is offline Member
    Been doing it about a month now. Results are mixed, but overall positive - I'm glad I joined and am doing it. No doubt about that. Biggest problem has been pacing myself. The first few WODs I absolutely went all out, which is what you're supposed to do in CrossFit, but I don't advise it until you've got a few weeks of WODs under your belt, unless you want to be so sore between CrossFit days that you can't do anything else.

I also had trouble dialing in my eating to match the intensity of CrossFit. For me, I had to introduce some carb sources that I would have never touched before, specifically sweet potatoes.

All in all I really like it and am glad I joined CrossFit. It's really tough though, so be forewarned. The first 2 weeks I was concerned that I just couldn't sustain doing CrossFit for long, even the measly 2x per week that I'm doing. I posted on the CrossFit forum asking people "if it gets easier" and the basic response was no, it doesn't, but after the first couple of weeks I found that my recovery between WODs was much quicker. I now make sure to pace myself during a WOD so that I'm not dying 1/4th of the way through.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Female
    Age 55
    Height 5'2"
    Weight ~108
    Body fat ~18%

I started Crossfitting three years ago, at age 52, and after eighteen months had to take 6 months off because of rotator cuff surgery due to a car accident. I aim for 4 times a week, but because of work commitments I sometimes only make it three times a week. I do not Crossfit on Wednesdays, so my Crossfit WODs are Mon. & Tues., Thurs. & Fri. I consider my Crossfit days to be sprint or lift-heavy-things that fit in nicely with PB. On my non-Crossfit days, I'll do the slow anti-chronic-cardio activities; swim, row, walk, etc.

I was already in reasonably good shape before, but Crossfitting has made me a better all-around athlete. I snow ski, mountain bike, hike, swim, and run (usually 5k "races", sometimes 10k, at a not-killing-myself pace). People think I'm around 35, not 55. This coming winter I'm going to learn how to snowboard. And I just ordered a slackline and now have to figure out where I can string it up!

I drank the Crossfit Kool-Aid and am one of "those" people (as an acquaintance said when he found out I Crossfit!) I LOVE the community atmosphere. I LOVE how our coaches teach us, make sure we're using correct form, and take into account "problems" like coming back from rotator cuff surgery. I LOVE the feeling I get when I finish a WOD. I LOVE doing clean-and-jerks! I LOVE burpees (after I'm done with 'em!)

Part of my Plan for World Domination is to live to be 100 and go sky diving. Crossfit + PB fits into that Plan!

ETA: Mark, Crossfit's dirty secret is that it NEVER gets easier; you just get stronger and faster!

mark2741 is offline Member
    Goldie,

For me, I'm finding that I need to force it to be easier (i.e., via scaling and pacing/intensity). If I don't, then I wind up being very lethargic and just not feeling energetic at all afterwards or the following days. And if CrossFit is going to make me feel worse, then it's not worth it. So I'm still trying to find a balance. Last weekend, a relative asked me to help him rip out and install new flooring in two rooms of his house. We started it the day after doing a lot of squats during a WOD, and then for the next 2 full days I was squatting tons while ripping out and replacing flooring. My thighs were so sore I could barely walk for a few days, and the past 3 days the muscle area just above right knee has been very tender/sore. Not so bad as to not be able to walk - I've been walking for a few miles a day at my local track, just to keep it going, but I knew if I showed up for a CrossFit WOD I'd risk setting myself back another week or longer.

I'm not sure yet if CrossFit is truly aligned with Primal Blueprint. I think Mark Sisson would agree that it is overkill. Once or twice a week is in alignment, but not more than that. And even at just twice a week, some WODs wind up being metcons that can take a non-athlete like myself 40+ minutes to complete. That's at 90% intensity, working all muscles, lungs burning, etc.

I think PB prescribes doing something like that for ~10 minutes a week...

That said - I didn't start CrossFit to just achieve a 'functional fitness' baseline. I am trying to see if I can go beyond that.

mark
    A Forty-something Fat Guy's Journey Towards Real Health | Low Carb Learning

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Mark,

Pacing yourself and scaling is a very good idea when you're a beginner at Crossfit. Our coaches won't usually allow a newbie to do the full workout RX unless it's obvious they were already pretty good athletes when they started. They'll "enforce" lighter weight, fewer rounds/reps, etc.--because if a newbie gets too sore or discouraged, they're not coming back. Even though I'm no longer a newbie, our coaches know about my shoulder issues and sometimes make me take weights off the bar when we're doing overhead stuff (or they'll take the weights off themselves against my protests! --but they're watching form!) And many of the movements can be modified to take into account different people's fitness levels.

Our head coach also does a really good job programming varied WODs from day to day. I've never done one that took anyone more than 30 minutes, and those come around only about once every two or three weeks. Usually, our WODs are from 4 to 15 minutes, with a good 20 minute warmup beforehand. Very seldom do we have a "long" WOD two days in a row. Some of the really long named WODs, like Murph, we do as teams (two people share one WOD so to speak!)

You have to pay attention to your body to know how much to push it and when to back off/scale down. It can take a little while to figure out the right balance, especially if you weren't doing any sort of sports activities before you began Crossfitting. It's best to err on the side of caution, and then a day or two later (when the soreness sets in--or doesn't) say to yourself "okay I could have pushed that one a little harder/gone up a little with the weight" or "that was a bit too much".

If you're doing a metcon that takes longer than 30 minutes, I'd suggest you stop with fewer rounds/reps around the 20 minute mark (depending on how you feel). Talk to your coaches--they should be understanding of your current limitations.

bluechip is offline Member
    I have my first class coming up, so I'm really to meet the team. I haven't figured out what I'll be doing / how often just yet, but I'll update once I get into the swing of things.
    Regards,
    ~ Chris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123