Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossfit - How Often? page 2

patski is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Crossfit is absolutely worth every penny. It fixed up my back after a car accident when two months of physio did eff-all.

I've had a stomach flu since yesterday, haven't eaten, feeling rotten, and I MISS CROSSFIT. You are surrounded by amazing trainers who know what they're doing and what you are capable/not capable of doing. Everything can be scaled to your abilities. I go 3x a week and pay $140 for the month.

It does not matter what kind of shape you're in: great, poor, or no shape at all...Crossfit will ALWAYS kick your ass. And you will be absolutely CERTAIN that you will DIE during your WOD, but then look! OMG! You're almost done! Wait for it...YOU'RE DONE! And you are AMAZING for finishing it. You feel like such a badass for finishing such a brutal workout.

Crossfit is the BOMB.
    Last edited by patski; 05-22-2012 at 02:36 PM.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Crossfit is absolutely worth every penny. It fixed up my back after a car accident when two months of physio did eff-all.

I've had a stomach flu since yesterday, haven't eaten, feeling rotten, and I MISS CROSSFIT. You are surrounded by amazing trainers who know what they're doing and what you are capable/not capable of doing. Everything can be scaled to your abilities. I go 3x a week and pay $140 for the month.

It does not matter what kind of shape you're in: great, poor, or no shape at all...Crossfit will ALWAYS kick your ass. And you will be absolutely CERTAIN that you will DIE during your WOD, but then look! OMG! You're almost done! Wait for it...YOU'RE DONE! And you are AMAZING for finishing it. You feel like such a badass for finishing such a brutal workout.

Crossfit is the BOMB.
    PREACH IT!

I've had so many flabby, soft, out-of-shape people tell me I look amazing or super-fit, and then utter "I can't believe you pay this much to go to the gym to do this Crossfit thing!" under the same breath. I find it bizarre. Obviously, I'm getting results; and then there are the fringe benefits of having a gym "family" and socializing and having people to do other athletic things with - some of us will do 5K-10K races together, others will do crazy stuff like the Spartan races, etc.

mark2741 is offline Member
    Thanks for the responses.

I started CrossFit this week, after wanting to try it for the past year.

Monday night was the 'Baseline' and it was the most grueling 9:33 of my life, not to mention the hour after in which I was dizzy, still trying to catch my breath....but even then I was just so amazed that I was able to do it.

My local affiliate requires all newbies to go through a 3 class Fundamentals course. I had my first one yesterday. It was tough but great. But it was pretty clear that my body's lack of flexibility will really hinder me - I'm so inflexible that I can't get anywhere near low enough on the squat, and worse, my shoulders are so bad that I was told I won't be doing any lifts with anything other than the PVC pipe for quite a while, until my flexibility increases dramatically.

So today I made a conscious effort to work on my posture while sitting, walking, etc. My posture is horrifically bad from ~30 years of hunched over a computer. I'm thinking about going to a chiropractor to see if they can help, and also trying "shoulder dislocations" with a broomstick to accelerate things. The CrossFit coach didn't tell me to do these things but I could tell from her reaction that I'm going to have trouble due to my lack of flexibility.

My next session is not until Tuesday, due to the holiday weekend/scheduling. My homework is to do 50 air squats 3 times a week on my own. She showed me how to do them facing a wall and using it as a guide to ensure I'm squatting properly.

Today was a rest day due to the soreness from yesterday's session (which ended with a mini-WOD of 50 14lb wall balls for time). Tomorrow I'm going to play golf in the morning (for the first time in years) and then at some point later I am committed to doing the 50 air squats.

Even though I know it's like walking into a fire....I gotta say - after my first two sessions, I can't wait to go back. I was really disappointed that I had to wait until Tuesday for the next one. I'm *very* nervous about starting group sessions (the real WODs), which will be later next week. But, I gotta keep going and doing my best.

I blogged about my sessions, in excruciating detail, if any other 40-something year old is interested in the gory details : )

mark
    Low Carb Learning

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shoulder dislocations made a huge difference for me. I do them regularly because otherwise I tend to get tight across the chest, and they help open that up nicely.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

mark,

After my car accident, the only exercising I was doing was walking...and body weight squats. I got real good at 'em. Practice them at home, with a mirror to the side of you, if at all possible, so you can watch your form.

Hinge at your hips, back straight, push your knees OUT as if you're pushing the opposing walls away, and put your weight on your heels. You WILL get down low! It just takes practice. I couldn't go very low either, but now I'm told at Crossfit, "NOT SO LOW, PAT!"

You can DOOOO EEEEEET!

Also, re: dizzy after. Did you eat before you worked out? If so, what did you have?

One more thing: avoid the chiro at all costs. You don't need one. I spent probably thousands of dollars on a chiro for something that wasn't even back related over four years. Most of them are quacks. I had four that I circulated between.

Crossfit will fix your posture! It did for me!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

mark2741 is offline Member
    Thanks so much Pat. Very encouraging!

I didn't eat as much as I should have the day of my baseline/intro session. I ate my usual low-carb/primal but skipped lunch that day and my dinner was only 4 grilled chicken legs. Definitely not enough. I have a fear of over-doing the calories (I lost 65 lbs last year and have been maintaining it easily). I expect I'll gain a few pounds of muscle (I know this sounds ridiculous but I'm already seeing changes in my upper-body from just 2 crossfit workouts - seriously). For the first fundamentals class I forced myself to eat a lot that morning (big breakfast, a couple of bananas, a glass of coconut milk) and I am sure that helped. I will continue to eat that stuff so long as I don't 'bulk up' too much. I would like to lean out more - I'm still about 10 pounds overweight - almost all around my gut.

The chiro - I've been avoiding them all my life for the reasons you state! I will give it a week or two more, keep focusing on trying to solve the posture/flexibility issues on my own, and see how it goes. I focused all day yesterday on keeping my shoulders back instead of slouching. While my back was kinda sore still from the 50 wall balls the day before, I stuck with it and today I'm noticing I'm 'walking taller' and it's more natural. I'm also going to start doing the shoulder dislocations and my 50 squats a day facing a wall homework (along with a side mirror as you suggested).

Thanks again!

mark
    Low Carb Learning

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    When I first started, I had a 20-class pass and went 2-3 times a week. I couldn't imagine doing 5-6 Crossfit workouts a week. Now I have a monthly membership and go 5 times a week, sometimes even 6 if the WODs are programmed well enough that I don't overwork myself. Our gym does a good job of programming workouts that go together well (e.g. something insane like Angie is followed by something chill like strength work on back squats the next day).

Just play it by ear, if you feel weak/unwell, then you are doing too much....
    We did Angie on Wednesday night, so I took last night off from CF. I think it's up to everyone to figure out what works for them. I shoot for 3x per week, but sometimes it's 4 or 5. I can only pull off 4 or 5 by scaling down a workout or two. Last night, when I didn't do CF, I did an hour of easy walking and jogging. Tonight I'll go back to CF, tomorrow I'll do an easy bike ride, and I'll probably go hiking on Sunday. By Monday or Tuesday, it will be back to CF.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post
    We did Angie on Wednesday night, so I took last night off from CF. I think it's up to everyone to figure out what works for them. I shoot for 3x per week, but sometimes it's 4 or 5. I can only pull off 4 or 5 by scaling down a workout or two. Last night, when I didn't do CF, I did an hour of easy walking and jogging. Tonight I'll go back to CF, tomorrow I'll do an easy bike ride, and I'll probably go hiking on Sunday. By Monday or Tuesday, it will be back to CF.
    +1

I have an unlimited membership, but I judge my attendance based on how I feel. If I'm sick or too sore or even just too short on sleep, I'm likely to pass on working out that day. I try to be consistent, and I will make myself go on days when I don't really feel like going, but if I'm physically feeling bad, then I think it's important to listen to that and take a rest day or do some more moderate exercise.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Hi again, Mark!

My understanding is that abdominal weight gain has a lot to do with high cortisol levels: the stress hormone. I know us women tend to gain weight in this area, as that is where cortisol is created (the gut), however...you may want to do some Googling and see if it's similar for men.

Make sure you're not working out too much; some cortisol is good, too much is evil! Try meditation, or throw in some yoga for good measure. Maybe go for a walk an hour or two before bed. High cortisol affects sleep patterns; I haven't had a good nights sleep in years...always accepted it, but now I understand why. Either way, relaaaaaaaxxxxxxxx. I just started taking ashwaghanda supps: an Indian herb meant to level out cortisol, and also acts as an immune booster. We'll see how I do

And yes, it doesn't take long to see real physical changes in your body once you start Crossfit! Isn't it awesome?!

Oh...one more thing: try jumping bodyweight squats! You'll want to kill me later for it! LOL! But they're awesome! Evil, but awesome!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member
    I just started a couple weeks ago and I am hooked! I love it! It's true, you are certain that you are going to die, and that you're never going to finish, and then you do finish and you want to collapse but a few minutes later you're feeling AWESOME!

On a side note, it makes me so incredibly hungry! I'm not worried about the amount I'm eating; I'm sure I need the food and when I've lifted weights/done circuit training in the past my appetite has increased a ton, but it's pretty incredible how must food I've been beasting. Does this happen to other people too?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast