Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navy diver training page

EJSpins Guest

Navy diver training

Shop Now
    I am a 26 y/o female wanting to prepare for Navy 2nd class dive school.
    The school will be understandably physically intense, and there is an intro physical test that consists of:
    500 yard swim in under 14min
    42 pushups in 2min
    50 situps in 2min
    6 pullups
    1.5 mile run in under 12:25

I was wondering if there were any primal military guys in here that could give me some good training advice on how to get stronger without having to result in the conventional chronic training routines that the Navy websites put out. Would crossfit be an acceptable choice, is it overrated, or can I accomplish these goals on my own? Also, can I continue to stay in ketosis while in dive school?(Although I'm pretty sure I'll gladly eat whatever they give me)

V/R
    LTJG

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJSpins View Post
    The school will be understandably physically intense, and there is an intro physical test that consists of:
    42 pushups in 2min
    50 situps in 2min
    6 pullups
    “BODY BY SCIENCE” — ESPECIALLY FOR WOMEN

I was wondering if there were any primal military guys in here that could give me some good training advice on how to get stronger without having to result in the conventional chronic training routines that the Navy websites put out. Would crossfit be an acceptable choice, is it overrated, or can I accomplish these goals on my own?
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articles/t...g/default.aspx
    BODY BY SCIENCE TRAINING (VIDEO 7): STEPHANIE ARNOLD - PART ONE

Also, can I continue to stay in ketosis while in dive school?(Although I'm pretty sure I'll gladly eat whatever they give me)
    http://www.med.upenn.edu/timm/docume...8-9Lazar-1.pdf
    β-HYDROXYBUTYRATE: THE MOST EFFICIENT FUEL Veech and colleagues discovered that administering β-hydroxybutyrate to the perfused rat heart in place of glucose increased work output but decreased oxygen consumption (35).

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Also - check out this site: SEAL Grinder PT He's a former SEAL (who went through Hell Week twice - academics matter, too). He mixes up a lot of bodyweight calisthenics much like you'll do at dive school.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    Gosh...I don't know enough to give advice but I can give encouragement. Good luck and I hope you meet your goal!!!

EJSpins Guest
    Thanks for the all the links, I'm a little confused with the β-Hydroxybutyrate, I'll have to read about that more.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the all the links, I'm a little confused with the β-Hydroxybutyrate, I'll have to read about that more.
    β-Hydroxybutyrate is a ketone body produced as a byproduct of fatty acid metabolism.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    42 pushups in 2min
    50 situps in 2min
    6 pullups

I was wondering if there were any primal military guys in here that could give me some good training advice on how to get stronger without having to result in the conventional chronic training routines that the Navy websites put out. Would crossfit be an acceptable choice, is it overrated, or can I accomplish these goals on my own? Also, can I continue to stay in ketosis while in dive school?(Although I'm pretty sure I'll gladly eat whatever they give me)

V/R
    LTJG
    LT,

First question why would you want to stay in ketosis during school? It's an uncontrolled variable when dealing with mixed gas diving; no one is going to do a study on oxygen toxicity, nitrogen off gassing, etc. in ketosis.

Although if you can get ahold of Dr.(MD) Bruce Wienke (NASA Dive Physiologist, expert on decompression) he might be able to give you an answer on that.

Regarding training, you need to train for event as well as maximizing your overall fitness. Basic fact of military schools is the entry PT tests are a joke. For most rigorous schools (dive school, BUDS, Sniper School, SF selection) if you can't crush the entry PT you won't last. Not trying to demotivate, just making sure your head is on straight.

Nothing wrong with Crossfit at all, to get your overall fitness level up. But you have to make sure to build your swim and your run up, both of which require technique to master. Join a Masters Swim team if you can, take a swim class if you suck.

For your goals I wouldn't really recommend any weight lifting, except maybe once a week (basic squat, bench, overhead press, deadlifts, etc).

Whats your current fitness state? How is your swim and run? How is your overall strength? I can make some more informed opinions given that.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Primal-Reconstruction is offline Junior Member
    Train for the test as if its your workout, if I remember correctly you will be doing the test every Friday your in school. Train hard on the pull ups and practice your push-up within two minutes after finishing your swim same for the sit ups. Then you’ll have 5 minutes to get you run gear on to start the pull ups. They are really strict on form no more than 2 inches swing to the front or rear from a dead hang.

The easiest part of the whole test is the run and I’ve seen many people fail it too. Also they are going to make you count out loud on each exercise so practice for it. There is no way your going to be able to pass this test in Ketosis you just burn too much oxygen. If you try your going to have cramps really quick. It’s a really hard test but with practice you’ll be able to do it.
    Last edited by Primal-Reconstruction; 06-12-2012 at 06:18 AM.

EJSpins Guest
    The question on ketosis came up because I'm pretty much able to maintain my physical routine without much carbs, but I know the intensity level will be higher once in dive school, so thanks for the heads up.

Here's my stats as of this morning:
    Swimming: I have no idea
    Pushups: 50
    Situps: 103
    Pullups: Just barely 6
    Running: Around 10:15

I obviously need to stregthen my upper body, but I'm confident I can achieve this with an efficient and effective routine.
    So to get into my physical conditioning: I do sprints once a week, usually running 6 sets of 30 sec. I lift weights once a week(dealifts, squats, pull down, overhead, and chest press). I do body workouts once a week. I'll usually fit in a 2 or 3 mile run as well.

A master swim course is something I will definately join just to work on my skill conditioning.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're in pretty good shape to start with. Although Lat pull downs are a somewhat crappy alternative to the real thing, just do good sets of your pullups. Start from a dead hang, breathe, then a full rep. Do like 5 sets of 4 Rep, if you can't do it with correct form just kipp the last one (or few) to finish the set. You'll get pretty good quick that way.

BTW weight lifting is one of the single best things you can do to prevent DCS, other than a safe dive profile of course. Does great things for vascularity and off gassing. But I would still be concerned with trying to maintain ketosis in a strenuous diving environment.

Master the breast stroke, there is a huge difference from knowing the breast stroke and mastering it, in case you never swam competitively before.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast