Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exercise makes me tired page

camel is offline Senior Member

Exercise makes me tired

Primal Fuel
    Ive been upping my exercise from a very very low level. I've been doing hour long sessions of fast walking and moderate cycling. And a bit of body weight exercise like pushups (10) and a bit of weights with my arms, shoulders. So nothing crazy, and maybe 3 times a week. Sometimes 4, sometimes 2.

Just last week I tried bike sprints but it was at night, and it kind of wound me up right before bed. Maybe I should try earlier evening workouts? But I've been trying to exercise before eating in the morning (about half the time).

The thing is, on days that I work out, I'm really tired. Like it impacts everything else that day. I feel tired until I go to bed feeling exhausted. I've been doing this about 2 months.

I'm a 31 yr old female. I am 5-7 pounds above the "normal" category for my bmi. I take in about 1300 cals on my non exercise days and 1500-1800 on exercise days.
    I feel like I'm getting stronger, but the tiredness persists.

Any suggestions?

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    You might be doing too much or eating too little. Are you following your body's cues for hunger? Have you noticed any connection with your cycle? How much/well are you sleeping at night? How long are your exercise sessions lasting? - weights should be 20-30min, hard cardio ~20min Sounds like the sprints worked well for you, definitely move them earlier in the day.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Could be many things, before primal I used to suffer from ME type symptoms unless I took loads of vitamins, esp b vits, I would get wiped out if I did too much, sometimes for days. So maybe you arn't getting the right nutrition, your calorie intake seems very low to me, it might be right for you, but you may need to eat more. You may just be over doing it? How long have you been eating primal? you may not have fully adapted yet?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    And WHAT are you eating? What is your protein/fat/carb ratio? Do you eat grains? Etc. Give us more details.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    You might be doing too much or eating too little. Are you following your body's cues for hunger? Have you noticed any connection with your cycle? How much/well are you sleeping at night? How long are your exercise sessions lasting? - weights should be 20-30min, hard cardio ~20min Sounds like the sprints worked well for you, definitely move them earlier in the day.
    Thanks a lot for replying!
    I've been hungry a lot. I've tried o follow a 14-16 hr fast between supper and breakfast. I do have a lot of hunger, but I'm trying to lose these last stubborn pounds. I've plateaued for 7 week even though I've had calorie deficits every day but 2 out of 50 days! It doesn't seem possible.
    I do an hour on the stationary bike and then 15 min of weights, usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Could be many things, before primal I used to suffer from ME type symptoms unless I took loads of vitamins, esp b vits, I would get wiped out if I did too much, sometimes for days. So maybe you arn't getting the right nutrition, your calorie intake seems very low to me, it might be right for you, but you may need to eat more. You may just be over doing it? How long have you been eating primal? you may not have fully adapted yet?
    Thanks! I think I'm pretty adapted, I've been primal for months. I take a good quality multi, d, magnesium by pill and lotion, c, chromium. I try to eat nutrient dense foods - eggs, steak, broccoli, greens, a few berries, and other veg. My cal needs are 1500 basal and 2050 maintenance. Maybe I should try to get more b vitamins?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    I've been hungry a lot. I've tried o follow a 14-16 hr fast between supper and breakfast. I do have a lot of hunger, but I'm trying to lose these last stubborn pounds. I've plateaued for 7 week even though I've had calorie deficits every day but 2 out of 50 days! It doesn't seem possible.
    Yeah, calories are only one factor. An important one, but only one. A refeed here could be helpful.

You still haven't listed what you are eating, and what supplements, if any, you are taking. That would be helpful.

Also, sleep, stress, other medical conditions, history of exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    And WHAT are you eating? What is your protein/fat/carb ratio? Do you eat grains? Etc. Give us more details.
    Protein is always about 90-100 grams. 20-50 g carbs on non exercise days, the rest fat. 50-100 carbs on exercise days. I try not to eat grains in daily life, but maybe once a week I might eat some at friends.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Sounds like too much stress on your body. Stationary bike for an hour sounds like chronic cardio to me. Try 2 lifting sessions and 1 sprinting each week, with walks on other days IF you feel up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Yeah, calories are only one factor. An important one, but only one. A refeed here could be helpful.

You still haven't listed what you are eating, and what supplements, if any, you are taking. That would be helpful.

Also, sleep, stress, other medical conditions, history of exercise?
    What would a refeed look like? Maintenance cals?
    I'm not too stressed, and sleep well. I've been sedentary most of my life. Last year I was more active I tried couch to 5k (running). Didn't find i got tired. That seems to be new. I hurt my back in sept last year and stopped exercising. So just been tying to get active since my back pain is gone the last 2 months. But the tiredness persists.

I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast