Thread: Festival Food Tips? page

Shebeeste is offline Junior Member

Festival Food Tips?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Any dedicated primal "festers" out there? (You know, Phish, Grateful Dead, bluegrass, etc.)

For years I've attended a 3-day festival where we camp. I used to work in a food booth so hunting/gathering food was not a problem. Now I work on a crew that does work before and after the fest. We are provided a meal before our shift, chock-full of organic produce, but since they are feeding a crowd and trying to accomodate the vegetarians and vegans, the main dish is often a cheesy/fake cheesy pasta dish. I believe to some degree in eating what is put in front of me, so last year I just ate it (it's also sort of a "lost weekend" experience, if you will--instead of drugs, I eat carbs!), but I heard several wheat- and dairy-free folks complaining. Fortunately there is other food around if you know where to go, but it is going to be mostly veggies and not so much protein and fat.

During the actual fest, there are numerous food booths with eggs for breakfast, fresh veggies, avocado, "dead meat on a stick" as I like to call it, sugarless fruit-based treats, etc. But this, especially tracking down meat, can get expensive. There are light meals for staff a couple times of day with more fresh veggies, donations from food booths--last year at the end of the fest we got a pile of smoked salmon!

Obvious answers include intermittent fasting, jerky, and pemmican. I plan to buy some tallow and make pemmican this year (though it may be hot, how well does it keep?). Last year I filled in the gaps with coconut oil and whey protein shakes (whey protein+water, shake. kind of icky). I'm much better at skipping meals now, so that's going to be a huge option. Other ideas? I usually share cooler space with a friend who eats similarly.

Anyway, long story short, what do you bring with you to keep yourself from devouring delicious fried noodles and things like that? Note that I drink (last year I brought red wine, this year I may have a flask of a little something) but the munchies is not an issue.
    Last edited by Shebeeste; 05-20-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: I accidentally word out

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Vast topic. I'm going to Wacken this year for the second time and I feel you pain, my primal friend. Sure, the roasted pig in the Wackinger is a sight to behold, but indeed, the dead stuff gets expensive. Quickly.

I wouldn't fast with alcohol in the picture. You just get drunk and shove down a couple of hotdog wraps before you now what hit ya. But maybe you handle alcohol better than I do, in which case, all glory to you. Pre-boiled eggs are an option if you have the space, since they'll be ok for a few days, as are dried veggies(which most people seem to overlook). A thermos with a good broth is a good bring, too, and can be consumed by itself as soup or with an array of other things to add a touch of fat and protein. And once you've run out, you can fill it with other things as you acquire them. I'll probably bring more than one thermos, but it's a question about space unfortunately... I have yet to learn the art of packing tents and sleeping bags :l

And if you're really desperate to save money, an acquaintance of mine have a trick of her own... she actually brings a bag full of dog food The pellet stuff. They'll apparently cover your nutritional needs just fine if you find the right brand.. not so sure I'll ever follow her example though.

Ha ha. Weiner wraps are a favorite camping food of mine. Good advice about the alcohol. I know my limits (a light buzz is about all I need) but sometimes you get caught up in the spirit(s) and then that chalupa (fried in god knows what) with the fresh habenero salsa beckons at 2 a.m. But I no longer enjoy feeling poisoned or sleep-deprived. I do so like the wisdom that comes with aging.

Good ideas on the eggs and veggies--I have a food dehydrator and zucchini chips are cheap, sometimes even free!

My cat gets grain free food...nah, I don't think I can go there... More power to your friend though--that's hardcore! I'd rather succumb to the French toast with fresh blueberries than deprive myself--it is all about fun after all.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Canned fish: salmon sardines

Also 3 / 365 = 0.00821917808 so not going to blow your 20% out of the water

Yeah that's an excellent idea too. Rinsing stinky oily cans (necessary--it's hot and there are critters) can be a problem with limited water, but I'll take a can of sardines for an emergency. A couple of the small cans of salmon too. I can put that on any salad I forage if necessary. The big cans seem like they will need eating up quickly and even I get tired of salmon.

Actually, I'll be there 10 days altogether, but point about the 80/20 rule well-taken. I know myself though, have to watch those slippery (i.e. carby) slopes. There will be coconut bliss bars in my future however.

DorschAaron is offline Junior Member
    I'm going to Wacken this year for the second time and I feel you pain

DorschAaron, you seem to be having a bit of trouble participating on the forum (all your posts seem to be copying bits from other people's posts). Anything we can do to help?
    Last edited by Shebeeste; 05-21-2012 at 01:18 PM.

.. quite odd indeed.

She actually didn't have aproblem with the taste. It was some sort of ecological, whole-foods brand. Apparently, it really tasted kind of like meat and carrots.. or whatever she said was in it. She actually said she'd do it again but I still don't feel much dedication to the cause myself. But there ARE dogfood manufracturers who have humans taste the food... if it aint good enough for you, it aint good enough for your dog

I wouldn't bring much canned foods... it takes up too much space compared with the amount of grub contained. Maybe if you have a canning machine and fill it yourself you could get somewhere, but most canned foods contains a lot of water, adding extra weight to your pack. Dried meats and fish really is the way to go when you're packing food for a longer trip like these ones.

One brand of cat food I bought had little bits of dried banana, apple, and carrot... Who knows why someone thinks cats need to eat bananas, so yeah...I ate a few bites of them here and there. Horrified my boyfriend.

The food dehydrator is going to save my life this year, I think. Anyone tried to dry broth or soup?

Oh lol. Our cat actually likes nuts when the chance presents itself. I came home one day and color me surprised when my bowl of brazil nuts were nothing but crumbles on the couch. Apples and bananas, though.. well, I have no effing clue.

Indeed. I'll have to get myself one for next season...

... erhm.. not what I know of. Wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose of adding liquid to make it in the first place? I mean.. you have hard marrow.. add water... remove water... and, well, you're going to have marrow :/ COLD marrow. And possibly gooey.