Thread: Smoothies and Juices Rotting Children's Teeth Say Dentists page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Smoothies and Juices Rotting Children's Teeth Say Dentists

Primal Fuel
    Health-conscious parents [sic] are "misguidedly" letting their children's teeth rot by giving them too many fruit smoothies and juice drinks, senior dentists have warned.

The concerns were raised as official figures disclosed that dental problems have become the third most common reason for children to be admitted to hospital. ...

Dr Kathy Harley, dean of the dental faculty at the Royal College of Surgeons, said many parents encouraged their children to drink smoothies and juices every day, unaware that the combination of high acid levels and sugar content can destroy young teeth. ...

Dr Harley said 50 per cent of five-year-olds now have signs of damage to their tooth enamel caused by excess acid in their diet. [my emphasis]...

[A Sunday Telegraph] investigation found that a soft drink called This Water with lemons and limes, which describes itself as a "juice drink blended with pure squeezed juices and pure spring water", had a level of 2.7 – making it more acidic than cider vinegar ...

This Water also contains 9.5 teaspoons of sugar in a 420ml (14.7 fl oz) bottle. In 2008, the company, which is part of Innocent [sic] Drinks founder Richard Reed's empire, had an advertisement campaign banned by the Advertising Standards Authority for failing to inform consumers about the sugar content of its juice drinks. ... posters ... stated that the drink was made from water and fruit but made no mention of added sugar ...

Dr Harley said ... "parents are trying to do the right thing, but are acting misguidedly, thinking that the juices and smoothies are the best thing." [my emphasis]
    Dentists' warning on smoothies and juices: popular drinks more acidic than vinegar - Telegraph

I emphasize that sentence, because it shows where a great deal of the blame for this situation lies. It's a situation that has, to a large extent, been caused by ignorant dietary advice from governmental institutions in "health education" campaigns. Indirectly, the Ancel Keys–Senator McGovern axis (which has affected "thinking" about diet not just in the U.S. but across the developed world) is responsible for whipping up hysteria about traditional foodways, on account of their supposedly dangerous labels of fat and saturated fat in particular -- although there has never been the slightest real evidence to suggest this and much to suggest otherwise:

During 5-23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD.
    Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies e... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Now, if you can't eat fat, where do you find the calories? Hence high-carbohydrate foods have had a free pass.

Current orthodoxy in the UK has been even less sensible -- if that were possible -- than the U.S. food pyramid, with a maniacally obsessive concentration on one type of food: what's pushed to the public as fruit-and-vegetables. Another quotation from the Sunday Telegraph article:

Government health advice states that everyone should have five portions of fruit and vegetables a day, and that one 150ml glass of fruit juice can count as one portion.
    And the last part of that referring to one -- and a fairly small -- glass of fruit juice is very rarely, if ever, quoted -- and likely a pretty recent addition (it's the first time I've heard it), as the awful consequences of government advice have become more obvious, anyway. What the public hears is you must have five portions of fruit-and-vegetables; what it likes is fruit; what it finds easiest to consume is fruit juice (or "smoothies"); and, of course, the corporate sharks swimming in the public pool are only to pleased to stick "three of your five portions" on their plastic bottles of "smoothies" and load them with added sugar, knowingly exploiting the vitiated (because over-trained on sugar) taste-buds of consumers to get big sales.

When the stupid government is not telling people to get adequate quantities of first-class protein and healthy fats -- implying one doesn't need those, nor the important fat-soluble vitamins, such as A and K2 -- and is making no real distinction between vegetables and fruit, the stage is set for the corporate sharks.

This is the horror: parents are trying to do "the right thing" ...

And the result is that half of five-year-olds have damaged tooth enamel, and "dental problems have become the third most common reason for children to be admitted to hospital".

Sometimes it's difficult not to get annoyed.
    Last edited by Lewis; 05-20-2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    *twists*mustache* "Another smoothie little Timmy? Muh-wahahahahaha!"

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    *twists*mustache* "Another smoothie little Timmy? Muh-wahahahahaha!"
    LOL.

Actually, that makes me laugh at my own fervor a bit. Still, if half of the 5 year olds in the UK have damaged tooth enamel, and kids are frequently ending up in hospital with their teeth, something's not right.

When it comes to "fruit-and-vegetables" the message should be mostly vegetables, some fruit, and the occasional small glass of juice.

Remembering that Price found that dental health was a marker for just about every other form of physical (and emotional) wellness this is not good news.

Wherever the primitive Aborigines have been placed in reservations and fed on the white man's foods of commerce dental caries has become rampant. This destroys their beauty, prevents mastication, and provides infection for seriously injuring their bodies. Note the contrast between the primitive woman in the upper right and the three modernized women.
    Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: Chapter 10
    Last edited by Lewis; 05-20-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    it was very difficult for me to realize that maybe having even a very small glass of OJ every morning wasn't really good or necessary for me. That was the last bit of CW that really stuck with me.