Thread: Hello from Kent, the Garden of England! page

StormF is offline Junior Member

Hello from Kent, the Garden of England!

Shop Now
    Hello Peeps!

I found my way here yesterday, directed by my wonderful brother and his girlfriend.

We'd been talking about diets, and I was describing the one that I'd been trying to follow over the last few weeks - it's one a friend told me about, but she couldn't remember all the details. Basically, she said to cut the caffeine, and start my day with hot water and lemon. Don't eat bread or too much of things like potatoes (which was a shame because I'd just decided to try making a sour-dough starter and it was bubbling away in the airing cupboard). Lots of fruit and veg, and no dairy except for plain yoghurt. Oh, and no alcohol.

Following these vague instructions lost me 4lbs in 2 weeks which I'm very happy with, especially as I wasn't sticking to it strictly - I'd have a bit of chocolate cake, or a couple of chocolates, but really concentrate when I was eating them, to really enjoy the taste and sensation. For the first time, I wasn't wanting to stuff more down my throat. I also took the kids out on Friday after a busy week, and they wanted to go to a local pizza/pasta place. I had the veggie pizza, and found myself leaving nearly half of it as I felt full.

However, I'm really an information junkie and I needed more information than I was getting from my friend. So, on a family visit yesterday, I got chatting with my brother and he directed me here. In fact, he was quite evangelical about this site (if you're reading this bro, you know who you are!!). I have to say, he was looking the fittest and healthiest I've seen him in years, but admitted to doing less exercise now than he was doing a year ago. His girlfriend too was looking fantastic.

So, I'm in the early phases of learning about this lifestyle. During a health check recently, my height was measured, and it appears that I've shrunk over the last few years, and now clock in at just over 5ft 2. This has pushed my weight from the very upper edge of 'healthy' into 'overweight'. Ideally, I need to lose at least 14lbs, (currently at 143), probably a bit more.

I also just want to be healthier. I have 2 very energetic kids, a boy of 6 and his sister, 4, and although there is nothing overtly unhealthy about me, I just want to make sure that I'm the best that I can be for them.

Anyway, enough of my waffle! Am off to read more, learn more and become a better me!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I think you will find just about everything you want to know here, or at least recommended by people here. My surname comes from Kent, Cowden to be exact.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Greatings from Yorkshire, the grumpy old fart of England Now get out of my garden, there's rubarb to grow
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Greatings from Yorkshire
    Wakefield, the Friendly City. I used to frequent the New York Bar and the chippy nearly opposite it when I was in Wakefield.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

rennyleon389 is offline Junior Member
    Hi
    Myself Renny leon and I have just signed up. I always like to take part in discussion forums as it's quite helpful to learn new stuff and also to generate contacts.

MichaelUK is offline Junior Member
    Welcome to the forums

Greeting for Leeds, just come back myself after two failed atempts last year own fault was not in the right mind set to make the life style changes i needed too, but i feel much better at the moment, so here i go again third time the charm.

You will find everthing you need here.

StormF is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the comments and support guys - I'm sure these will help me keep going over the coming weeks/months/years!

Well, 2 weeks in and I guess I should update, in part to share, and in part to try and keep myself focused.

On the down side, I have to admit, that I have struggled at times, mainly due to being so busy recently that I haven't had time to plan properly. This, coupled with situations where I find myself surrounded by temptations has meant that I've lapsed into the occasional carb-fest. On Friday, I helped with the Jubilee party at my son's school. Parents kindly baked over 400 cupcakes, decorated beautifully in themes of red, white and blue; other parents made jelly, we got the lunch tables out into the playground, and enjoyed the party as 400 kids and teachers went a bit wild for the afternoon. Thing is, there were too many cakes, and I ended up eating one. The temptation was too much. But, I decided to enjoy it, and really taste the thing - it didn't really taste that good to be honest, but in two bites, it was gone.

I've also struggled a bit with breakfasts - I used to often skip breakfast, so the intermitant fasting until lunchtime didn't really bother me. However, now when I'm hungry, I'll make sure I eat. At first, bacon and eggs was great, but I crave variety, and after a few times of the same old breakfast, I was getting bored, and found myself craving bread - although I haven't given into that one yet. Nearly did when I was preparing toast and vegemite for my daughter. That used to be a favourite of mine and with the butter melting and the smell of the spread . . . . . it was a real tough one to resist.

I've also not really had the time to spend on this site and really read up on recipes and ideas, but did find some for coconut flour pancakes and bread today, which I'm hoping to try. If nothing else, I would like to edge my carb-addicted family to a more primal footing, and figure that subtly changing a few of their favourites, without making a big deal about it, might be a good way forward. Especially when it comes to packed lunches - finding 'acceptable' alternatives for my 6 yr old son might be tricky so letting him take in a wrap made out of coconut flour rather than wheat might work.

Now for the positives!!

Although my weight overall has remained pretty static, I don't mind as I haven't really been sticking strictly to the diet so am just pleased that I haven't rocketed back up. What has happened is that I have noticed that my clothes are getting looser - where my thighs used to fill my jeans, I can now grab handfuls of fabric around my legs, bum and waist, where it used to be stretched tight.

Best of all, I bought two dresses recently, in the size that I usually buy (but which has sometimes been a bit too small and tight, although I refused to admit it at the time). When I did a mini fashion parade for my husband that night, he pointed out that there were nice dresses, but really loose on me. So, I went back to the shop, and lo and behold, I fitted beautifully into the next size down, without stretching the dresses or struggling to get into them. I was on cloud nine for days!!

Yesterday I finally did some shopping, and then spent a good 90 minutes in the kitchen, washing, chopping, and boxing up various fruit and veg in tupperware containers, and sorting out the fridge. Now I feel that I can just reach in and grab something without being put off by the 'time to prep' element.

Dinner - slow roasted pork shoulder with crackling - is in the oven, and a huge variety of veg will be prepared to go with it.

I feel that I'm taking baby steps, but each step is taking me closer to where I want to be. If I tumble, I'm not going to chastise myself, or feel guilty, but treat each such experience as a learning curve.

Wow - what a lot of waffle! Good job I only have time to do this every couple of weeks!!

seizethedance is offline Junior Member
    Yay a fellow primal a kent! i'm in Canterbury, been primal for about 5 months now. At least we're trying and adjusting and experimenting as we go. Still working on eating less chocolate (even if it is the dark variety, it's supposed to be a treat right?!) I also find that it's soooo expensive.

Well done for taking the plunge and doing so well. Dont be too hard on yourself, it takes time. It's a terrible cliche, but it really is a journey. I think coconut flour wraps etc sound like a step in the right direction for children who need something bread-like. Our son is only 17 months and is tucking into liver and bacon as we speak!

Just saw this thread was started a while ago, so how's it going?

BigChris is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormF View Post
    preparing toast and vegemite .... That used to be a favourite of mine and with the butter melting and the smell of the spread . . . . . it was a real tough one to resist.
    Evil evil temptress … mom was/is from folkstone, so even tho I’m a yank I LOVE marmite on toast