Thread: Different types/brands of coconut oil? - Taste and smell page

diana13t is offline Junior Member

Different types/brands of coconut oil? - Taste and smell

Shop Now
    I just bought two different brands of cocunut oil, Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin and a much less expensive brand Lou Ana Naural Coconut Oil. I like using the Lou Ana brand because the taste and smell is more mild and it does not change the flavor of my foods. The Nutiva has a very strong smell and taste and I'm having troubles getting use to it.

Is there any reason one would be better than the other?

Thank you!

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    I don't think so. We have Whole Foods 365 brand refined and unrefined. The unrefined is very coconutty. The refined has a lot less coconut flavor. I prefer the refined coconut oil. I've been adding it to my coffee the last few weeks and I like it.

Pinup is offline Member
    It seems that some people here use the Louana, and others use the Nutiva/Tropical Traditions/etc. coconutty ones. I like coconut, so I use the flavorful ones. I do have Louana, but I only use it in my hair and in my toothpaste and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    It seems that some people here use the Louana, and others use the Nutiva/Tropical Traditions/etc. coconutty ones. I like coconut, so I use the flavorful ones. I do have Louana, but I only use it in my hair and in my toothpaste and stuff.
    Interesting, how do you use it for your hair and in your toothpaste? Do you use it as a deep conditioner for your hair? And why would you mix it with your toothpaste? I'd love to hear more ways people use coconut oil!

jasperraff is offline Junior Member
    I am not that specific with all the details but I know that virgin coconut oil has less fats than the rest. That's also the reason why it's more expensive than the others.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I use Spectrum Organic Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil for everything. Fairly expensive. Spectacular for skin and hair and hands. I mix it with my other creams and potions as it is a bit greasy.

One reason to use different kinds is that some types are better for different types of cooking - some cannot take high heat and will be destroyed in a high-heat stir-fry, for example. That should be stated on the label. For instance, on my jar, it states "Unrefined - For Medium Heat." That means up to 280 degrees. Would be good for baking, although I don't bake anything anymore. (Except meat!)
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Nutiva is one of the coco-nuttiest flavored/smelling ones on the market. The difference is in how much heat is used in the processing.

I also prefer the milder flavored oils - spectrum being my go-to brand. Tree of Life and Whole Foods' 365 brands are also both mild.

That said the Nutiva rocks for searing up some coconut & almond meal butterflied shrimp. Haven't found anything else I like it for food-wise, but if you enjoy the smell of coconut it's great for topical use.

Pinup is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diana13t View Post
    Interesting, how do you use it for your hair and in your toothpaste? Do you use it as a deep conditioner for your hair? And why would you mix it with your toothpaste? I'd love to hear more ways people use coconut oil!
    Yes, just as a conditioning treatment. I don't mix it in my toothpaste, but make my own toothpaste, and its an ingredient.

Thank you all for your help, I'm glad to hear I can go with a milder tasting coconut oil