Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd Bits : How to Cook The Rest of the Animal Great primal reading! page

Paleobird Guest

Odd Bits : How to Cook The Rest of the Animal Great primal reading!

Primal Fuel
    Amazon.com: Odd Bits: How to Cook the Rest of the Animal (9781580083348): Jennifer McLagan, Leigh Beisch: Books

I highly recommend this book. The above is the Amazon link for it and it is also available on Kindle. My BFF (who I converted to Primal last year) brought this home from the local library. She's a great cook and has been getting me past my "icckkkky" reaction to things like liver and brains both of which I now think are very tasty.

This book has recipes for all the various organs and all the weird pieces like feet, tails, ears, etc. This is a great addition to any primal kitchen.

Enjoy

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    thanks that really does look interesting. I'll have to acquire it stealthily tho, so my husband won't suspect anything.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Sweet I'll have to grab, so far I've only been making chicken hearts and livers cus I don't mind eating them medium rare. I bought gizzards (turkey and chicken) and plan to try them that way too but I could use some knowledge on the parts I'm too chicken to get.

GET IT, CHICKEN?!

you guys.

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    My husband got that book as a gift because he eats it ALL! Believe me!

JBailey is offline Senior Member
    Books about head to tail eating are really helpful to visualize just what can be done with everything, even if you don't have the whole animal to work with.

When our knacker comes to slaughter our meat animals, there are some 'parts' they will take back to the shop if we want it cut & wrapped with the other meat, but it costs. So we have gotten to the point where we will grab the heart & liver on the spot and process it ourselves. This year we'll go for the trotters, and maybe some of the skin (helps with sausage-making). Probably not the brains or head, at least not yet. I love getting all that fat too.

We don't use innards from our chickens though. I usually simmer those up for the dogs.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Her books, such as "Bones" are worth a look too.

MMMmmmarrow

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Sweet I'll have to grab, so far I've only been making chicken hearts and livers cus I don't mind eating them medium rare. I bought gizzards (turkey and chicken) and plan to try them that way too but I could use some knowledge on the parts I'm too chicken to get.
    i luv gizzards. I think that's what's in dirty rice? i made dirty rice once a long time ago before ditching grains during holiday time when there were a bunch of turkey gizzards in the store. Oh man! They aint pretty but they taste so good.

DorschAaron is offline Junior Member
    I'll have to acquire it stealthily tho

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by springnr View Post
    Her books, such as "Bones" are worth a look too.
    MMMmmmarrow
    I didn't know she had one about bones too. Thanks. I agree about mmmmmmmmarrow. This is the one part about me going Primal that upsets my dog. I used to give him the marrow bones not realizing what good stuff it was. Now he only gets to work them over when I'm done with them.

Dice Monkey is offline Member
    It reminds me of what the old country folk used to tell me years ago: "You can use every part of the pig but the squeal".
    "I did it for money and for a woman. I didn't get the money, and I didn't get the woman"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast