Thread: Primal Beginner - Gym Energy page

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member

Primal Beginner - Gym Energy

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to Primal in the last month and I'm doing very well. I'm losing weight with little effort and don't feel run down like I have on other weight loss plans. I used to get a dizzy or lightheaded feeling if I worked out when I hadn't been eating enough. That isn't happening on the Primal plan. What is happening is I feel like I'm missing that extra bit of push on the last rep or two of each set. The early reps feel the same as they always did, but instead of being able to push through the final few reps, I usually just hit a wall and can't do another. I don't even feel that tired or spent after the set, it just feels like I stopped early.

If this is just the price I pay for losing weight, I can deal with it. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I just maintained (instead of gained) muscle while I try to shed about 20-25 lbs but thought I'd check and see if anybody else had dealt with this and had some ideas.

Any thoughts?

I forgot to add. I've been IFing pretty consistently; eating primarily between 3pm and 8pm. Workouts are usually within that same window or close to it but they vary.

Thanks for any insight.

Ok, so this thread didn't get much attention but I figured I'd update in case anyone stumbles across it with a similar question.

I think this is just a matter of fuel. About an hour before I went to the gym today I ate two cold chicken drumsticks, a small apple, a small banana, and a (really) big spoonful of peanut butter. I didn't intend to eat that much but I just started grazing in the kitchen and that's what I ended up eating. I know that isn't a great primal snack but I got my reps and energy back for my workout.

I just need to substitute for the peanut butter next time and see if I get similar results.

Any feedback?

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Some people find eating a small snack prior to working out helps them. You might be one of these people. You seemed to answer your own question though. You had a better workout because you ate something.

Chrish2891 is offline Member
    You might want to take a break week where you just use lower intensity (lighter weights, running slower, etc). I've found that I need to do this every 4 to 6 weeks and it really helps.

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    I like a little coffee and some coconut milk before I workout in the AM.

Mia Bryant is offline Junior Member
    1093 Pinnickinick Street Bellingham, WA 98226
    I have learned a lot from your posts.

Some people simply don't exercise well without eating a while beforehand, sounds like that is you. It is especially true if you cut calories overall. Sounds like you have the answer though. Eating a main meal before a workout will give you the energy you need.