Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey - Madog page 6

madog is offline Senior Member
    today has been a long time coming......dental hospital to investigate an ongoing problem with a molar. Over the years my gums have receded a bit exposing the tooth which in turn allows it to become infected quickly. Now this is despite cleaning twice a day with a power toothbrush, flossing with mini brushes and using mouthwashes of various types. The mouthwash recommended by the dentist will stain the teeth is used for over 10 days. I would say things have improved as I no longer get a tartar build up on the lower front teeth. The dentist is hoping the molar needs to come out as he cannot clean it, why does he not just do it, I have agreed. So a day off work with a trip into the big city on the commuter crowded train for someone to look. clean or extract....not really sure what is going to happen.

After this latest dental session I'll do a bit more searching on dental matters of a primal way to see what I can do differently. The latest technique I've found is brushing with small jerky movements

This week is not going to follow the planned routine. Tuesday is the first of 4 dental appointments to get the teeth back to scratch, Wednesday on a business trip, so a couple of days will be BW training and a fast day on Wednesday. Business trips always leave me bloated as the food supplied is basic Sandwiches served with pastries etc.... and there is no option to take my own. Thursday will be home working so good food at least and Friday is back to normal.

I've noticed that I am incredibly calm these days, with little getting under my skin. Sleep pattern is the same, food intake is much the same. Exercise is the only slight change were for three weeks I did HIIT, 4 days a week on the bike as part of a tour de France challenge.....hmm might be something to re-introduce.

I have been trying out some one legged squats and failed miserably, looking at the youtube videos I can't get my leg to go straight as I squat down.....guess the tendons are tight. Might give this garagewarrior a try

It was a very long day yesterday with a 3 hour drive either side of a very long meeting. the obligatory cakes were laid on to keep the ideas flowing and the team awake. Luckily with preparation on my part I avoided the cakes. By making a smoothie from freshly picked raspberries (allotment) and milk I had a good breakfast. I used the plug in cool-box in the car boot to keep the boiled eggs and salad to be consumed for lunch and tea cool and plenty of water was available.

The down side with these trips is tiredness the following day, so the gym was not on the cards. I'll take a stroll to the allotment later in the day to get some digging in, that'll do for the exercise.

One thing I have noticed is how more mellow I have become, were things would drive me a "flaming " session either by email of rants around the office, I've noticed I'm allowing things to wash over me. The exercise and food changes have helped, plus the allotments have been a great help this year. Not so much in the amount of produce, but the escapism it allows. My OH and me go there and leave our phones off so the kids cannot pester, well we love the grand-kids to bits, it's just the kids...... we all need a break at times:-)

Then there is my photography, I have noticed I'm seeing things differently. By differently I mean I look around and don't just see a bench, I'll see the textures on the bench or the expressions on faces...... no drugs in use, all clean living....perhaps that is it....the years of drudge have finally cleared body and mind :-)

Tomorrow is a day off all exercise as I'm currently doing a 4 day routine and it is a work from home day which is a bonus, no travelling. I will be able to get some recipes sorted and food planned for the rest of the week including the weekend as we had a pizza over load. A friend gave me this suggestions for "pizza" which I will try.

Bread free pizza
    Flatten a chicken breast, spread tomato purée, add bacon, onion, mushroom. Oven 25 mins about 180.

Not the best end to the week I must say. I seem to have given myself a dodgy stomach through either eating shop bought Sushi or not cooking the salmon fully for tea last night. The to cap it all, i managed to strain something in my lower back while exercising this morning which shortened the routine...sigh

Sleep has been interrupted most nights with the police helicopter flying about at 04:30 looking for villains, guess they cannot catch them, hmmmm

The allotments have been producing a good yield, plenty of fresh salad items and Kohlrabi, which is new for this year. Very versatile veg for salads and adding to mashed veggies. The mega meat order arrived this week which filled the freezers up nicely which will give plenty of choice for dinners as I was getting a bit bored with chicken.

Time for some painkillers and a stroll to get this backache sorted.

Last week was a very slow paced exercise regime as the back has not fully healed as I get the odd twinge while bending. Careful was the watchword of the week with nothing heavier than a bag of sugar lifted. One thing this mishap re-enforced was the need to lift correctly, last week each exercise was done in front of the mirror to strict form and I really felt the weight more even though it was lighter. I guess I'm guilty of rushing the routine which I need to monitor.

The gym is having a new challenge to get more people on-board, it will be called Route 66. basically for each 30 minutes of training a step can be marked off the board. I estimate it to be about 20 steps in total which is pretty much every workday for me unless I get an hour session in. I plan to use the treadmill to walk for 20 minutes and 10 of sprints.

Food is working out OK since moving more to higher fat ratio to carbs\protein. As with most things if I do not get enough variation then I get bored and fall into non healthy options.

It was a good workout today as my back is almost sorted...again. Performed some back squats with a lighter weight, but avoided the SLD from the routine as this was exercise which caused the injury, well the incorrect form used. Still trying to master the single leg squats which is fun for others to watch no doubt and the calf raises and leg curls went with incident.

Food has again been good this week, however I did wake up with the sniffles, carb flu or real flu.....hmmmmm.
    Brekkie
    Scrambled egg
    Lunch
    Olives\Feta cheese\peppers\olive oil\tomatoes
    Dinner
    Meat\Fish with sweet potaotes and home grown veg.

I caught this episode on BBC2 about the men who made us thin It was interesting to hear how the whole gym culture was born and how rapidly it expanded, all that lycra must have made someone very rich . Why are the major food suppliers sponsoring fitness events, the olympics had the largest mcdonalds ever and the irony was people sitting watching the fittest athletes while eating fast food, slurping fizzy drinks

The weekend was a combination of digging and playing. Saturday was spent at the allotment as it is getting near the time to prepare the ground for lovely home grown veggies, plenty of digging, muck spreading and fresh air will do wonders for me. Plenty of fresh tomaotoes straight of the vines, cucumbers, peppers, beetroot were all used in the picnic :-)

Sunday was a family picnic and familiy from all over came, clumber-park is set in over 3000 acres, just in case all the kids need plenty of space for running. Weather was excellent for running around in or just lazing, just how things should be. I think my OH has finally come around to the whole primal thing, she understands now it is not just about "me" being faddy about food, but the whole life thing. It was funny watching a boy on the rope walk whining with his dad saying " stop being such a girl" when my daughter pointed out the fact that 3 girls were actually being held up by his son. So the sexist putdown was turned against him :-)

Today

As this is a short week for me at work I was contemplating a change to the routine as it must be around 5 weeks now that I have been doing this 4 day one. The goal is to get the fat down some more as there is still too much around the middle which is never a good sign, I'm not fussed about look. With the route 66 challenge in the gym in Septemeber I'll be doing a damn sight more low level cardio which will help, combined with a good weight routine. As ever the main focus will be what is going in daily to fuel the body.

Woke this morning feeling very tired and as if I had smoked 60 cigarettes in the night, boy was my throat sore. Bugs doing the rounds and I seem to have picked it up which is most unlike me.

Exercise Routine was
    4 x 8 front squats and DL

3 x 10 Walking lunges\Hamstring curls\weighted calf raises

15 minute walk and finished with some stretching for the back just to make sure all is well again.

Foodage

Banana + apple+ black coffee. I've taken to grinding my own when needed, I must say I always though it was a bit snobby to do, but I have been converted, the aroma each day is excellent.

Chicken legs\olives\feta cheese\tomatoes

Lamb steaks\ sweet potatoes\ selection of veg from allotment.

After dinner it will be a trip to the plot to get the digging finished, which means I can sit back and plan next years crops

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another month already!, this year is going fast. I guess it feels that way as things have been very busy at home and work with the work\life balance only going slightly off. I stepped on the scales in the gym, first time in, well I can't remember,current weight is 83kg, think I was around 86 last time.

Foodage

Still hitting around 80% primal with the 20% occurring at weekends or when working from home. Breakfast is scrambled eggs. Lunch is feta cheese\olives\tomatoes. Dinner is usually Meat\Fish with roasted veggies and cajun sweet potatoes. sweets are blueberries\raspberries and cream. The odd piece of fruit apple\banana. Treats are 20gm 100% chocolate\ Macadamea nuts\

Exercise
    I have recently monved onto the 5/3/1 routine and was sceptical about the claims, after the first week of doing this with the assistance work I have a differnt view. I could feel in each area when I had completed a cycle, which I have not had for a while, so this could be good after all. The challenge was not just the extra weight, but the shredded hands after shifiting around 50 concrete slabs. The route 66 challenge started today in teh gym which was fun, 30 mins on the treadmill with sprints for the last 10 mins.

Life

Things are great with the arrival of grandchild number 6, very busy at weekends when they all want to come visit. The good thing is that they all like playing outside so I will be encouraging this even more. The eldest has a challange to complete, 50 things to do before age 11 3/4 one of which is to get muddy and the other is to play in the rain, easily sorted with 2 allotments This will be a busy month as 3 birthdays to cater for, no doubt at our house for a BBQ, primal of course.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast