Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey - Madog page 5

madog is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    update on the gym upgrade is..>" it will go ahead in the next two weeks" So what was the delay? Some rip off firm wanted 7k to install cabling so the treadmills, stepper machine etc... could have TV viewing. Good grief.......who the hell wants to watch TV while working out is beyond me! Anyway if this finally does come off I will be able to recommence my 5x5 strong-lift routine.....I left it when I got to 60 kg squats, health and safety issue... The upgrade is supposed to include a squat rack or power rack plus some extra weights.

Exercise
    Fridays session was a bit half hearted, did not have the buzz to get going, not sure why as nothing has changed lifestyle or with work. Completed the session in a longer time than normal.

Foodage

Brekkie
    Knocked up some pakora (baked version) bites using sweet potato, brings a change to the lunchtime.

Lunch
    Salmon is back on the menu, mmmmh my fav fish. I buy a whole fish from fishmonger and vacupack into portions, 2 Min in Micro and tis done.

Dinner
    Roast chicken + Roasted Mediterranean style Veggies

Richardmac - Cheers for the pointer to Simplefit, this is the sort of thing I can do at home, nice:-)

Ah the joys of work, forced to work a night shift so no training on monday, a bit of an enforced fast which was no biggie, but the hardest thing was the lack of sleep. Needless to say the urge to train today was lacking so a quick session of Cosgrove Evil 8's was completed.

Not been on here for a wee while, but that's not to say I have been slacking off. After sitting down and taking a long hard look at the routines and foodage, things had gone a bit awry. I was following routine which was not pushing me enough, but was causing me pains in the forearms to the extent I could not lift above a 10kg DB.

For the past month I have been on the lean gains routine

Mon
    3x12 BP
    3x12 DB Flyes
    3x12 Shoulder press
    3x12 Lateral raise
    3x12 Tricep pushdown

Wed
    3x12 Squats
    3x12 DL's
    3x12 Leg curls
    3x12 Calf raises
    3x12 Ab Crucnhes

Fri
    3x12 Lat pulldown
    3x12 upright row
    3x12 seated row
    3x12 hyper exts
    3x12 Bicep curls

After each weight session I have a 15 minute HIIT session which just about finishes me off nicely.

Foodage
    This has been ok over the festive period surprisingly, no sweets or milk chocs or excessive alcohol. As I still have a bit of the belly fat and some on the back, the plan is to ensure the foodage is low carb and around 1500-1700 per day average.

Blimey, the last update was in Sept last year...ah the joys of being busy I guess. This is not to say I fell off the Primal wagon. I have been busy with an increased workload, preparing 2 new allotment plots for the next season and hitting the gym 3 times a week which does not leave much time for blog updates or much else.

I am currently following the 5x5 strong-lifts while weaning myself off protein shakes, the drive this year is all real food, no excuses because there are none if planning is done. Happy to report I am now at 86.7 Kg from 88.8 kg at the start of Jan 2013.

A change of Doctors occurred as my old one retired so the new one works at a practice with all fancy gizmo's and gadgets. Appointments are made on line, text messages sent to confirm etc... wow, my old doc struggled with a pen. At the registration I mentioned the blackend big toe nail plus I also had an abscess appear overnight, "are you diabetic?" don;t think so....anyway I have been dragged in for the obligatory MOT for 40+, only just made it, 50 this year. Bloods and all that are being done so it will be interesting to see what condition I am in, Diabetic? Cholesterol too high? BP wrong?

I had the results back from the blood tests , all ok apart from the sugar levels. Practice nurse asks "Did you fast before the test?" Well yes, i'm used to fasting, nothing passed my lips apart from some tap water...honest. " We need you back in for another test". It appears the count was 6.5 which they are not happy with, it needs to be under 5.9. So what is the cause I've asked myself. It may be the belly fat I have as I seem to have lost fat from everywhere else. The weekend before the test was bad, lots of pizza and beer for a family party, wonder if that had an effect. ON a plus though it was good to know the BP and Cholesterol are sound, especially with the amount of eggs I eat, that's one in the eye for a so called expert who quizzed my egg consumption :-)

The 5x5 training is going well, stalled at the squats on 80kg for a week, now got through to 90kg today so happy. The OHP is not getting further than 50kg, when I was getting beyond this before, I was actually doing a push press :-( not using the legs makes a heck of a difference. I will get through this plateau also :-)

ok so more tests have been done to determine if I am in the stages of pre-diabetes, this time it was a glucose intolerance test. Blood taken then a sweet drink, wait 2 hours then more blood taken. Since this all began from attending the Dr's for an MOT, not any other reason it has made me review my diet and take note of everything I eat or drink. I am back on the fit-day website recording each day and I have picked up on the ultimate paleo guide from searching through some posts here. Some good ideas for lunches which I will incorporate into the meal plan and from my analysis of my intake so far I need to review this idea of letting things slide a bit at weekends. I don't think I'm at the daily blood checks yet, however I have another session with the practice nurse to talk about the results of the glucose intolerance test.

The 5x5 strong-lifts has run its course I feel as I am struggling to get any further with squats and the overhead press. Looking at the Paleo website for exercises ,I will look to mix things up a bit more and incorporate them into a daily routine. With spring here now and the weather getting better I need to get out more, plus the daily work place is a drag as it has frosted windows which diffuses sunlight so badly the blinds are always down as the glare makes it difficult to see the screens. Some walks around the car park are in order and a mate has started his fitness regime so maybe he'll join me for a walk.

So the results came today and I was sat with the Dr discussing them. It would appear that I have impaired fasting glycemia which means the glucose level is higher when in a fasted state, I need to eat regularly.

From the diabetes.org.uk site "IFG doesn’t require medical treatment, but lowering blood glucose levels can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes development. You can reach and maintain healthy blood sugar levels by eating a balanced diet, losing any excess weight, improving your fitness level, giving up smoking" Ok, so I don't smoke, only drink 4 cans of ale on a saturday or 2 glasses of red wine. Diet seems ok, but I'll drop the fruit down due to the fructose content. Exercise will continue as it is. Interestingly the Dr has this idea some studies have flagged up concerns with doing HIIT as cardio, i'm not aware of this study. We did have an interesting chat around PB and what it could bring to the health service and he did seem to be at least aware. It would seem he is happy to test me once a year and I just need to keep doing what I am doing. We did touch on viseral fat which I'm aware I may have, difficult to prove without a full body scan. I feel if I can stick to the diet with <100g Carbs I should reduce the belly fat significantly.

Foodage:
    The food today will be spread out over 6 small meals in light of the glucose results, I have a higher level when fasting so I'm going to try the 6 meal plan to see if it makes a difference over time. Blood glucose tests will be taken and recorded over a period of months.

Today's routine was:

4 x 12
    Deadlifts
    Pushups
    walking lunges
    inverted row

Sprints on treadmill

Things have been a bit busy for the past few months and I can't believe the last update was in |March. The doctors visit was a bit unnerving when Diabetes was talked about. It is well into the growing season so I have been spending a lot of time outdoors digging, tilling and generally being grokish by growing fresh fruit and veg. The quality is excellent if i do say so myself and plentiful. It is wonderful to have a bolt hole from the daily grind of technology

Foodage
    I'm still plugging away trying to eat as healthy as possible, managing to do about 70% primal. Eating a good variety of meats and fish now, but and there is always a but, no fasting for me...ya boo sucks. meals are usually 3 or 4 per day. Breakfast after exercising will always be the case due to the work requirements, up at 05:00, 60 minute car ride and then gym by 06:00, at desk by 07:15. I'll not bore you with the details, a mox from blueprint and other primal sites.

Exercise

I'm doing some variety here mixing up the reps with BW and Dumbbells - Mon will be 4 x 8, Wed is 5 x 5 and Fri is 3 x 12-15. The new gym manager has set up a tour de France challenge to get more people exercising. Seeing as I do sprints on the bike or treadmill each day...i'm racking up the points.....I so can't wait to win a goody bag.

It has been an interesting week here in the UK, a bit of a heatwave kicked in and knocked people a bit. As heat is a relatively unknown phenomenon here, it took us all a bit by surprise. My sleeping patterns are all over the place with the average uninterrupted sleep being 4 hours before either a car driving past or birds tweeting wakes me up. I have tried having a fan in the room and even contemplated air-con, one is too noisy and the other is too expensive for the use I would get from it.

On the positive side the weather has been great for the allotment as all the fruit and veggies are shooting up, weeds tried to join in but a good hoe soon sorted them out. Early morning trips were in order and carrying 2 x 10 litre cans several times up a 100 foot path is a good workout, think it's called farmer walk exercise...oooharrrgh. The harvest included a good amount of strawberries, gooseberries and cabbage. My OH insisted we grew potatoes, so she was happy with the yield. I will be trying sweet potatoes next year once the 16' x 8' greenhouse is up. The pumpkins are doing well and it should be a bumper harvest this year from all 22 plants.

Foodage continues to be OK as I'm avoiding the take-away, bread and processed items 90% of the time. Things are that hot here now the coconut oil is very soft which is fun eating a couple of spoonfuls before training. I have ordered some more coconut flour and would like to make more use of it in recipes other than Pumpkin muffins.

Looking to try a 4 day split routine. The Full body exercises are being replaced for a wee while as I get bored and do not do them for the best results, one of the down sides on training on my own.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast