Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey - Madog page 3

madog is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Overall it has been a good week, food and excercise wise, so still a happy chappy. Weather improved and it was nice to have a day without rain. The track I usually run on is finally accessible again, so sprints will be back on the exercise menu. A family birthday party took place over the weekend which was great fun and I received a few compliments, which is always good. I was even asked if I was ill, odd, but I answered with " nope, I've changed my eating habits" Ah so you're on a diet, " nope I have changed lifestyle totally"......next 30 minutes taken up with PB and other paleo based topics......there may be another convert.

Some good news on Wednesday in that the work gym I use is having a refit in September.....there may even be a squat rack, this will replace the smith machine. Some extra weights and another Oly bar, cardio freaks will be getting treadmills with TV screens (odd) With the squat rack I will be able to push myself further with the 5x5 stronglift routine (one of my fav routines) just annoyed I cannot get beyond current PB's due to safety ( not damaging myself or the gym floor)

I may have clicked on the wrong button when doing the meat order as I now have a few packets of ox liver. Reseaching some recipes on the best way to cook it as it appears to sound a strong tasting item. This sounds nice so will give it a try,devilled-ox-liver/
    Last edited by madog; 07-30-2012 at 04:46 AM. Reason: missed bracket to url

Blimey! another week has passed, how time flies when one is having fun. It has been a slow week really, work has not been too stressfull and home life has been quiet. Workouts were a sort of 5x5 stronglift mix with some HIIT thrown in as I'm just counting down until the new gym equipment arrives at the work gym. Talk of posh treadmills with TV's etc... most important to me is the possibility of a squat\power rack. Once this is in place I plan to push the 5x5 stronglifts to the max, one of my frustrations has not being able to safely squat heavier that 55kg, when I know I can squat at least double that. A nice slow walk was had this weekend on the monsaltrail this is now a flat 8.5 mile linear route which can be walked or cycled.

Foodage was reasonable and 80% primal. I am hoping to work towards being a fat burner so the body uses BF, I seem to have lapsed back into some bad eating habits i.e. eating at set times instead of when hungry.

One of the pleasures in growing your own fruit and veg is the taste, it is completely different from the shop bought variety. In order to enjoy this taste experience, there is a lot of work to be done before hand. Most of the work is basic sowing or weeding, but today was another level. Our second plot was a bit neglected and an old steel shed had been moved which left plenty of rubble and broken glass to shift. The easy option would have been to hire a digger and chuck the soil into a skip, but being a wee bit of an eco warrior, we decided to sift the soil and remove the glass. This and the huge amount of weeding provided some heavy lifting and low level aerobic workouts. Wonder how the gym workout will fair tomorrow.

Food has been clean with 100% primal being achieved, it took some work to get the meals sorted and dealing with the " my body is a temple" crowd. I do wish they would just be honest and say " how do you do that and can you show me" The best meal of the week was devilled-ox-liver

Another week beckons, so lets see what that brings.
    Last edited by madog; 08-05-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: removed /

well today was the day I actually managed to do a long fast, the fast was from 20:00 - 18:00 , 22 hours and it was workout day. I think I managed it because I was at work and had plenty of distractions. Plenty of water was drunk and only 2 black coffee's. Dinner tonight will be roast chicken (organic) with some veggies.

The workout today was good and I think the food normally eaten after is just habit as I did not notice any hunger pangs.

Ah the joy of computers, created a post and it has not been saved or uploaded. It happens, so no point getting stressed as I cannot fix that. I'll just make sure a type up outside of the forum and use the old C&P .

OK, so 3rd fast completed without issue, one thing I have noticed is I feel warmer which will be the fat burning no doubt Food is 90% primal with one meal of Chinese takeaway, no biggie as it was a case of feel like a leper, plus I would have had to cook and I was shattered after the long day knocking down sheds etc... with a sledgehammer.

A bit of disappointing news about the gym upgrade, it has been put back until Sept. This means my change to the 5x5 Stronglifts will be delayed. With this change I'm now currently looking at some workouts from the cardio strength training book by Robert dos remedios to tide me over until the gym upgrade. Combined with the fasting days I hope to see some good results.

another week over and another 3 IF's completed. I am surprised at how easy IF was to become an easy routine considering how much I love my grub.

Exercise

Mon\Wed\Fri - Standard routine of BW squats, OHP, BOR with some DB movements. This is the mark time routine until the gym upgrade in Sept. Plan is to pick up the 5x5 and break through the limitations set by having the use of a squat rack.

Tuesday
    Evil 8's using a 25kg was completed in 8mins 45sec...good result. Rowing machine for 5km.

On Thursday I did a 3km run, just for something to do....I forgot how tiring running is. My hips ached a bit which I put down to the sprinting I did after the run.

Food
    Steak\Chicken\Liver cooked in a variety of ways. Had an interesting Indian stir fry using chicken, guess you'd call it a curry cooked in a wok.

Not sure why, but I could not complete a planned fast yesterday. With the public holiday making a long weekend a trip to the coast was arranged, plenty of playing by running around chasing balls into the sea and building sandcastles. Was it the sea air which drove the hunger? Not too sure, but the day after I could not just not eat. After the workout I had my usual black coffee, but with the added craving for scrambled eggs and bacon. I'll put it down to one of those moments when the body wins over the brain.

The workout has shifted to a more aerobic style with lighter weights, but with more reps carried out at a faster pace. I may have mentioned previously that overall I'm happy with my weight, but there is still the pot belly. Exercises to focus on are plank and hip flexor exercises.

Today was not good as it involved a visit to the dentist with plenty of scraping. I will need to check out the forum for tips on keeping plaque down as I thought Primal eating would help keep it under control along with the powered toothbrush and mouthwashes.

Teeth are still sensitive after the dentist had a good session ripping my gums to shreds which made eating cold foods a challenge last week. I tried one of those WaterPik's and I am not too impressed so far, the TePe brushes are more effective in the gaps, but I will try the WaterPik a little longer.

Plenty of worksouts outside of the gym with a lot of digging, which is one of the joys of an allottment along with plenty of heavy lifting and outdoor working The growing season has not been too good here in the UK with too much water and low light levels. Reading the newspapers I'm glad I do not eat bread or wheat, however no doubt the cost due to failed crops will hit all of use one way or the other.

The new gym at work will be sorted this month which is good news as I will then be able to push the limits on the 5x5 Stronglifts routine.

Ah I just love the way plans' go awry. After building myself up that the new gym equipment would be installed on 17 Sept.....it has been delayed by 3 weeks at least! .......Will the revised date happen? The machines in place are falling apart now...one of the dumbbells came apart in my hand today So much for ticking over on that exercise routine I'll revert to bodyweight exercises and outdoor sprints.

I managed a fast on Monday which was very pleasing and easy, but I'm not up for a 24 hour yet. My delivery of coconut flour and oil arrived which will allow me to get some pumpkin muffins on the go. I'll try that "bread" whcih was discussed on the forum, sounds yummy.

Had some interesting conversations with colleagues about IF today. 1 person is going to try fasting 2 days a week and the others were sceptical. I mentioned that I do IF 3 times a week and found it easy. After the disbelieving comments I explained how I mange it. Then the conversation moved onto meal times, one of the guys is on a shake diet with one proper meal a day. He was drinking his shake at lunchtime and said " I don't feel like having this, but...." To me this is case of how conditioned we have become around food that it is a social activity more than necessity. I managed to talk another colleague into joining the work gym. He is obese, has pancreatitis and may be a granddad soon. The work's gym manager is well qualified as fitness trainer, physio, dietician and I'm sure he'll sort him out...just need to get him through he door :-)

Today's fitness was a cardio session, as I was in work I missed the outdoor sprints along the canal so it was evil 8's and some burpees.

Food was good again, I'm loving these roasted Mediterranean veggies they go well with almost everything.

Job wise it looks like the home working will be stopped as I've gained a promotion which means bonding with a new team (can't do that down the end of a phone)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast