Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey - Madog page 2

donlumber is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by madog View Post
    traumatic discovery over the weekend.......I have developed some side effects to drinking real ale I have no idea how this has come about..I stopped eating bread over 12 months now, so why the sudden adverse to ale. I know it is yeast based...is this the body's way of finally teaching me to ditch yeast, more investigation\research needed.
    Gah! I know! I've had some mild reactions to beer the last few times I pulled a few. It's bothersome that I may have to give it up.

madog is offline Senior Member
    OK, so nearly a week has passed and this is the first update to be added, so much for daily updates. Anyway, all has been well, busy at work in a good way for a change and still maintaining the primal eating. 2 good things to mention which occurred last week. The first was my PB on the military press, 60kg x2. For an age I was stuck doing 5x5 @55kg which started to sap the will, I then took a few weeks off from the military press and hey presto I broke through the plateau.....onwards.

The second piece of good news was the OH has started on a health regime, not Primal, but one of the mainstream diet plans. I can here the gasps..."how could you let your OH......" Well my view is that it is a start, in that she has had the change in the mindset to exercise and attempt to eat better. The target weight loss is 1st (14lbs) which is achievable with an increase in a weekly exercise session and some daily 2 mile walks. On the back of this, my SIL has mentioned he is watching what he eats, his downfalls are chips(fries) , biscuits and crisps(chips). Thex plan is to remove one per week, so by the third week he will not be eating any. This is good to hear as it will impact the grandkids as well....all good.

Two programmes which caught my attention is fat surgeons airing on really TV. Why people can eat and eat, look in the mirror, but not see anything wrong is something which fascinates me,not in a bad way, but trying to understand it in case I need to use it in my own life. A colleague made an interesting comment last week, " we are made to feel guilty about eating junk foods" Is it guilt or is it self loathing of our weakness to one area of the food industry.

The second progarmme was the men who made us fat. I would like to believe that the tide is starting to turn on obesity with more of these programmes being made.

Some breaking news just in, one of out work colleagues has been hospitalised with Acute Pancreatitis due to eating cr*p. He knows what junk food will do to him and he still goes ahead. What can be done with him to make him change his ways? He has facebooked a photo of himself which I feel is abnormal...or is this norm for facebookers?

Quote Originally Posted by donlumber View Post
    Gah! I know! I've had some mild reactions to beer the last few times I pulled a few. It's bothersome that I may have to give it up.
    It's not like I drink gallons of the stuff.....2 bottles of Marstons Pedigree at the weekend. I will try another brand this weekend. I've not tried handpull beers for ages....good idea to go out this Friday

Today was the jog\sprint sessions along the river. It is amazing how more energised I feel when running outside (even in the rain) I did a quick timing session and found I am covering the same distance in the same time, which pleased me. The aim now is to get the time down. Exercise was done before breakfast which consisted of smoked bacon and 4 free range eggs scrambled with a few mushrooms.

As I feel more energised exercising outside, I have been giving some consideration to putting a chin up bar outside in the garden. A nice large rock to move from side to side or to OHP.

OK, so a review of the diet was carried out and details recorded via Daily burn. Exercises\Foods can be recorded easily or created for reuse, it also gives good stats and reports if required. It would was noted that my average calorific intake was around 1500 per day, even on gym days, with an even split of fats\carbs\ protein. So I guess I was not as good at judging what I was eating. Before I got into primal I read some posts by Neil Mcteggart and started on the diet plan, this is were I first heard the term lifestyle change, not diet. Part of the diet plan ebook covered macro nutrients and carb cycling, this is were I perhaps have gone off track. My diet seems to have gone flat, not much variety and no changes between gym days and off days. This combined with the low calorie intake may trick my body into thinking starvation is looming " store the fat" The thread I'm following on MDA speaks so well,chocotaco369 Now the fun part begins, trying g to increase the foodage, well today I managed to reach 1965 calories, 40% of it fat, not good, but it was my food, not some processed junk.

Anyway by looking closer at the breakdown today's food would be good on non gym days. I need to find a breakfast substitute on gym days for bacon and eggs as this provides about 26g of fat. Time to dust of the Blueprint cookbook again.

Exercise wise it was a good day as I managed 3 wide-grip pull ups, funny how I died off on the fourth attempt. Last week the OH was slimmer of the week by losing 2.5 pounds and she has taken up walking to town etc... so is clocking up the miles. A lot of people seem to be driven to taking up fitness with the Olympic euphoria here, more joggers\cyclist about and our work is wanting staff to sign up to the cycletowork scheme. All that is required now is for the govt to take the plunge and slap on the fat tax to junk food ( I live in hope)

The joy in computers, I typed up a long post yesterday and nothing has saved, pah!

I think I have become a bit complacent with the food side of things and this was borne out by my daily burn logs, just got back into it and yesterdays log shows Fat 48% Carbs 23% Pro 28%. a total of 1962 Cals, so much for eating correctly on gym days as this figure should be more carbs and less fat. I revisited an eBook from Neil Mcteggart which explained carb cycling and macro recording and this is mentioned in a thread I am following on MDA, Chocotaco.

Exercise wise things are improving as I can now manage 3 pull ups per set for 4 sets, the last time I recorded pull ups it was 2 sets of 4. DB Walking lunges are the new favourite as these really hit the quads.

I did some measuring with callipers over the weekend and if the figures are correct, I have a BF of 16% compared to the electronic scales figure of 21%. The method used with the callipers was the jackson\pollack 4 method here . As the goal is to reduce BF further a calculation of calories required is 1845, with extra carbs on gym days and reduced carbs on non gym days.

A good day at the gym with some heavy lifts mixed with bodyweight stuff. I'm feeling stronger and have managed 72kg BP. Shoulders are looking good which will help with the lifting in future.

So I'm sat here nursing a rather full belly, feeling rather bloated and uncomfortable. Nothing different from the usual foodage, trips to the toilet have been regular, very odd for me. All I can think is the extra 100 cals each day have created this bloated feeling.

What is required for me is a period of accurate recording to get fully back on track, daily burn and my trust spreadsheet will see plenty of action over the coming weeks.

A very good week all things considered, only slight deviation was attending a birthday party for the twins...1 year old and they have been started on takeaway already...shocking.

It has been a very good week at work as 2 colleagues have started on the path to lifestyle change. I recommended a daily food log, just to record what is being put into their mouths, then after a week or so, to start looking at the calorific content. Told them to forget the term diet as this implies a short term change, it needs to be a lifestyle change. One has fatty liver and the other has pancreatitis, so change is urgent. They both know change is needed and I will help where possible. A few websites with routines have been provided, including MDA of course.

The OH has been good again for teacher and lost another 2lbs, well done :-)

I need to hunt down some oil for the smith machine as it is drying out and has become a real pain when I try to do bench-presses, it's only way I am allowed as I train alone in the work gym and I need to adhere to H&S rules. It is good to read up on exercises once in a while, just to make sure perfect form is used. I did this for the barbell rows and noted I was not putting the BB to the floor, what a difference that makes. There was no chance of doing sprints this week outside due to the river overflowing onto the path, pity as I was really getting into the sprints routine.

The worst start to the week possible. I started the exercise routine as normal with BW squats x5 then the 5x5 OHP. I had a rest of about 3-5 minutes while I loaded up the oly bar with 135kg (normal weight) expecting to add 5kg after the first lift, then the twinge hit when I lifted. Everything looked ok form wise in the mirror, so what went wrong, I'll do my NCIS by asking a hole load of questions until I get the answer..... So with the exercise curtailed this week, food will be closley monitored.

exercise was mainly low level aerobic or light weights used. Plenty of stretching carried out helped to keep the muscle worked which ensured the ibuprofen was kept out of my system. I am not one for taking pills at the first sign of an ache as I believe increased usage reduces the effectiveness when they are really required. I'm sure Grok had some natural remedies such as warm mud baths. It is good to be back on track exercising now and the week of has helped the body recover.

With all the rain washing out most of the paths\tracks I have rediscovered an exercise which is great cardio and takes about 12 minutes to complete. The Cosgrove evil 8 is a collection of 8 exercises done against the clock, starting with 6 reps working down to 1 rep. As each week progresses and the time taken is reduced to say 6 minutes, the weight is then increased. Work towards the 6 minute target and increase weight again. This was carried out with 10kg on a barbell in 9minutes 23 seconds. The key is to start light and increase and build up.

The evil 8 consisted of the following exercises:

Deadlift
    Romanian Deadlift
    Bentover Row
    Power Clean
    Front Squat
    Push Press
    Back Squat
    Good Morning

Foodage

Steak, salmon and chicken have been the staples this week along with feta cheese and cottage cheese. Carbs have been an absolute minimum due to lack of exercise. The issue over real ale and body rejection may have just been a one off as I managed 2 bottles of Hobgoblin without incident thank goodness as there is only so much red wine a bloke can take.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast