Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After 35 years as a vegetarian, I'm going to try Primal. Help! page 2

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think that having a connection to the meat you eat may also help you to get past that squesamishness you felt; talk up the farmers at your local farmer's market about how well their animals are cared for, how they enjoy their lives grazing outside on grass and bugs and the things they were designed to eat, how they are butchered humanely. For me, knowing that I'm spending a little extra money to support an animal who had a good life and was raised well makes me feel better about what I'm eating.

Also, in the wild, animals often die cruel and painful deaths. It's not a pleasant thing to think about, but if I was a deer, I'd rather take one clean shot from a hunter than to slowly starve through the winter months until I'm so weak that a predator attacks me and eats me alive. I often think that killing animals humanely is a much better way for them to die than the way nature intended.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Congratulations on considering a change that may help you regain your energy- it's certainly worth a try even though you are already in good health.
    Here is a website of a lady who is over 60 and thrives on a mostly primal type lifestyle. She eats grains but you can of course just ignore that:
    Nancy Deville | Author of Healthy, Sexy, Happy, Death by Supermarket, and Karma

Marilyn Diamond, the vegetarian who wrote Fit for Life, went more primal in her 60s also and has a new book coming out, you might want to check that out. She's a bikini model now as the result of being more primal- it's never too late to get healthy.

Paleobird Guest
    First of all, WELCOME!

A lot of people on this board (myself included) were vegetarian or vegan at some point in their lives and, although vegetarian baiting can sometimes become a bit of a snarky sport around here, I think most of us realize that the two camps have more in common with each other than either of us do with the SAD eaters of the world. Both of us are concerned about our own health and also care about the well-being of the planet and the animals in the food chain.

I think you are going to be just fine especially since you have a Primal man who can cook by your side.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Welcome...enjoy your journey up the food chain.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinup View Post
    Welcome! A lot of us were vegetarian for years.
    Being an ex-vegetarian seems to be a universal theme here. I am, you are, loads of people are. I think even Gadsie mentioned he is. Am trying to think of a suitable analogy but the only one that sprang to mind is not very politically correct.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If you are feeling emotional about this, try to remember that many, many animals die in order to provide food for you every day. Fields of wheat, corn, veggies etc are barren of life - mostly because the animals were driven out and killed. Also, during storage of grains and food animals are trapped, baited and killed to prevent them from taking the food.. As a vegetarian you were able to block out the animals that die for your existence. As a meat eater, you will have to face it and come to terms with it.

Buy meat from animals that had a great, fantastic life and a quick death. Buy buying pastured meat you are protecting land for thousands of animals to thrive on.

From a physiologic stand point, I would suggest starting slow with bone broths with tiny bits of meat in it. Chicken soup made from scratch is pretty easy to assimilate.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Hey and welcome. I'd recommend starting with some wild king salmon or something. Something utterly delicious and really incredibly nutritious. I'm sure a 4 oz portion or so would be plenty. You might also consider a top of the range filet mignon - no bones or tendons, very mild flavor, very tender. I would cook it fairly simply or go to a nice steakhouse that serves quality. I doubt your husband would mind splitting one with you!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ForensicArtist is offline Junior Member
    Wow, thank you everyone! A lot of wise people here Funny, as a vegetarian, I never had objection to anyone hunting, because I figured the animals had a natural life, not penned up in a cage, and man happened to be the predator. Otherwise it would have been some other animal.

My husband and I found a local farm that looks wonderful, it's family run, and open to tours so I feel so much better about that. I'm going to try some thinly sliced chicken in a salad tomorrow. It might be 5% chicken and 95% salad, but I'm gonna try it! Thanks again for all your encouragement

ForensicArtist is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    If you are feeling emotional about this, try to remember that many, many animals die in order to provide food for you every day. Fields of wheat, corn, veggies etc are barren of life - mostly because the animals were driven out and killed. Also, during storage of grains and food animals are trapped, baited and killed to prevent them from taking the food.. As a vegetarian you were able to block out the animals that die for your existence. As a meat eater, you will have to face it and come to terms with it.
    You're so right. I never thought of it that way.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by ForensicArtist View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm a brand new member here, and found this site through my husband. I've been reading it for weeks, actually, and just decided to join today. I've seen what 'going primal' has done for my husband's health and his weight, and so here I am, considering whether or not I can try this.

I became a vegetarian at 16 because of squeamishness, and I just felt bad for animals. Now, I'm 51. Not overweight, good health, outstanding cholesterol levels, great blood pressure. ...but, after seeing the changes in my husband, I just think maybe I could do better. I want to be feel stronger. And I will freely admit, turning 50 does something to a person I want to make the most out of the next decades I've got.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, or has been where I am now and made the transition themselves, I'd love to hear your experience. This is scary, but I'm thinking it will be good for me. Thanks for any words anyone has to offer!
    Get some metabolic markers measured first: Medical Tests Recommended by Dr. Ron Rosedale | Sam Snyder

Moderate your protein intake. Eating meat again doesn't have to mean eating a lot of meat. Go for fatty meats and organs. Health Correlator: How much protein does one need to be in nitrogen balance?

Increase fats. Since you're vegetarian already, go for the saturated and monounsaturated as opposed to the polyunsaturated.

Podcast #27: Minding My Mitochondria with Dr. Terry Wahls, MD | The Bulletproof Executive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast