Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Yogis page

Ann1217 is offline Senior Member

Primal Yogis

To all you primal yogis/yoginis out there. I know you're out there, and I know you're tired of people insisting that yoga is not a real workout! Yoga is the best! It's good for the body, mind, and soul, and we all know how much a good vinyasa flow can get your heart pumping. And who says it's not lifting heavy? I'm pretty sure I'm bearing a good amount of weight hanging out in flying pigeon. Besides, if nothing else, it's pretty sweet that I can put my leg behind my head. Who would disagree with that?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I thought this was going to be a thread about yoga being associated with vegetarianism! It seems to be a package-deal with the folks I know.

That's funny; most of the yoga teachers I know are not vegetarians, actually. But there is definitely a debate. Most yoga teachers/yogis are also not Hindus (at least in the U.S.). I think it boils down to whether or not you think being vegetarian is more ethical than not being vegetarian. Personally, I make an educated guess that eating ethically raised animals results in less loss of life than most vegetarian diets, which involve soy and grain that are harvested unethically.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I'm looking at getting it at my local gym.

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    I agree! I've been doing yoga (hot) for almost 5 months now and see a huge increase in upper body strength from all the chatarangas in my vinyasa class. I love it and will continue the rest of my life. I wore a HRM the first month and was burning in average 550 calories.

Rochxyde is offline Junior Member
    I just started to get back into hot yoga at a great studio near where I live. I can't believe I stopped making the time to go regularly! I notice such a difference in how I feel when I go.

Pinup is offline Member
    A couple years ago I walked out on my job, and took about 5 months off before starting freelance. I'd just wake up every day and go to a couple hours of yoga. It was great.

fortuitousbounce is offline Junior Member
    I was doing Bikram pretty hardcore (5 days a week) a few months back and fizzled out because it fatigued me so much.

Now I am pretty keen to get back once or twice a week, but I wonder... Could it be considered primal?

I have been warned off by several people concerned about heating the brain every day like that.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's fine to do hot yoga (or any kind) on the primal blueprint. you can do it as fun, or as body weight or cardio (depending upon how rigorous) or long slow, or just mobility, etc.

I like vinyasa forms without heat. I get hot enough with the breathing. Did power vinyasa in heat for years, now I just do it without heat.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fortuitousbounce View Post
    I was doing Bikram pretty hardcore (5 days a week) a few months back and fizzled out because it fatigued me so much.

Now I am pretty keen to get back once or twice a week, but I wonder... Could it be considered primal?

I have been warned off by several people concerned about heating the brain every day like that.

I am leaning toward it being primal. The reasoning that Bikram is heated to 105 and at a specific humidity (on top of allowing the muscles to stretch more easily) is to mimic the conditions in Mysore, India, where it was originally practiced. If people have been doing yoga in hot weather for literally thousands of years, if these are the conditions under which the practice was developed, then I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Out of all the forms of exercise, yoga must be one of the most tried and true!

Also, I remember Robb Wolf mentioning that you could consider the exposure to heat hormetic, so while it is somewhat of a stressor, it's probably a good thing, not something to be feared. That being said, the point of hormesis is to keep the dose of stressor low. Just like you wouldn't (or shouldn't, IMO) do crossfit every day without rest/recovery, you probably shouldn't do Bikram every day (even though Bikram says you should). If you fizzled out, then you were probably doing too much. I think up to 4 days is approximately right, but everyone is different!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast