Good morning (it is here, in upstate NY, USA).
I can't believe how much I've already learned from this forum since finding out about it a week ago. I have no idea how I first stumbled on the Paleo lifestyle, but it couldn't have been more timely.
I am a 37 year old mother of 3 young kids, ages 6, 4, and 19 months. I am really not bragging, but they arre each amazing kids.
I've dealt with eating disorders since I was probably 8 years old. If I'm honest, food has always controlled my life. I hit my teens in the late '80's/early 90's when fat free food was all the rage. To say that that fueled my already restrictive eating habits would be an understatement.
I have made a lot of poor decisions lately, I love to excercise, always have, and thought I was setting a good example for my kids...they are very active. I eliminated all processed foods in my diet about two years ago, again, thinking I could lead by example. I allow my kids to eat whatever they want, they eat a nice variety of foods, many veggies, all meats, fruits, and, of course, they snack on all the gross things kids like and have to try by right of passage. The good news is, none of them, even the baby, go overboard with the processed crap. They seem to lose interest after a few bites.
I started to become too thin after my youngest was born, dealing with money and marital stress by excercising. I promised the people closest to me that I would change, turn it around. Well, here I am, a year later, still the same.
As I started to be honest with myself, I knew I had to have a plan, and not one I made, but someone else who really knew their stuff, medically and nutrtionally. I have a huge mistrust in doctors (bad experiences with my kids as babies, etc.) and really felt uncomfortable trying to get help in my limited, rural area, many doctors start out here, they don't stick around.
I know that I must have put "healthy living plans" into the google search engine, and after reading pages and pages of mass media based medical advice, I think I may have found a paleo/primal link. At first I was very skeptical, this did not jive with my almost no fat consumed policy. I eat lean chicken breasts and egg whites only....go ahead, cringe. So, I shut the computer off. BUT. My mind kept wandering back all day and night to this paleo thing. I searched specifically paleo stuff the next day, and the more I read, I had to be honest, the foods listed as paleo are mostly things I crave anyhow (nuts, whole eggs, fruit, vegetables, good meat). My neighbor raises his own beautiful beef/pigs and GIVES us hundreds of pounds of grass fed beef every year. I've never had it! My kids and husband love it, they devour it and I realized that often, it smelled and looked good to me too. (I haven't eaten a bite of pork or beef since I was 16!).
I have no cravings for processed stuff, no sweets appeal to me more than good, ripe fruit. I eat no carbs that come from a factory, what the hell was so different from my way of barely living than the paleo approach anyhow? I loved the concept of trusting your instincts! I do that in child rearing, but I never have been able to do it with food, WTF?
My major hurdle is with adding the high fat foods back in. That's how I wound up here. I am reading through many of your individual stories and I want to thank you. You are all so helpful and inspiring, I can't tell you what it's done for me inside.
I am going to be primal, I'll probably lurk on here every morning in the beginning to keep my mind on the right track as I start the day. I envy that most of you made the jump already, but I am empowered by the strength and stamina and vitality you all seem to benefit from. I have felt weak and dull for so long now, I know it's time to commit.
THANK YOU for forming this network!